Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So-so school  (Read 5912 times)

indy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
So-so school
« on: September 30, 2003, 10:59:19 AM »
I went to an average school and took some on-line classes to finish my bachelors.  I got good grades but now I want to go to law school.  It's too late to go back and change schools now.  Will that keep me from getting into law school?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: So-so school
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 11:03:31 AM »
That all depends on which schools you are looking at.  In terms of the school you went to for your undergrad that is not that important, however schools may look down upon a BA or BS received with some online classes. I am not sure that is my hunch though especially the top 10 law schools.  Irregardless, it is never too late to go to law school you can still get your JD, the places that you recieve may be the only limitation (maybe not even limited what do I know  ;)) Either way good luck in your quest to be in the field of law!
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

Victor

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 02:31:30 AM »
schools may look down upon a BA or BS received with some online classes.

Whoa, is this true people ?

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 12:37:05 AM »
If you grad'd with an online degree University of Houston would ask that you explain 'why' to them. Thats not exactly 'looking down' but it makes it suspect. Check out the 'ask shasta' thing on UH's website... and if UH wants to know 'why' higher up schools will probably be curious too...

mostly speculation... on the other hand if you make a 175 LSAT no one would probably care :P

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 03:06:54 AM »
Good show camelbx!  :)
Exactly Victor, those words:

schools may look down upon a BA or BS received with some online classes.

were purely speculative on my part-IMO, much like I said (regarding to a hunch) this is just an educated guess but may very well be off in its totality. These words should be taken at face value.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

bobfett33

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 05:45:04 PM »
Lots of decent undergraduate schools offer a few classes online - and many of them allow you to take some classes credit-by-examination.  Just be honest with yourself - did you take a few online classes mixed in with lots of tough "classroom" classes, as well?  Or did you take online classes in an effort to slide through college? 

If the former, you're fine - don't give it a second thought.

But, if it's the latter, I'd say you have deeper issues than how law school will view your transcript.

hdsteele

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 10:52:04 PM »
I would like to know how they know it whether or not it is an online course.  I have taken a few and my transcipt shows no evidence of whether I took the classes online, in a traditional classroom or by correspondence.  Just name of course (which is the same as the traditional classes), grade and credit hours.  Are they psychic? :)

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 02:37:49 PM »
I am taking some online courses as well. And my school actually said that it does not show up that the classes are offered online. We are both in good shape so far, I hope so anyway.
ChristyLove

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 02:50:11 PM »
I went to an average school and took some on-line classes to finish my bachelors.  I got good grades but now I want to go to law school.  It's too late to go back and change schools now.  Will that keep me from getting into law school?

Unless you got your entire degree online, the answer to your question is a resounding 'NO!'

The LS admissions process severely downplays the importance of a person's 4-yr college degree in favor of a single exam which includes a section that test's one ability to play games  ::).

College, schmollege.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 02:51:03 PM »
Wow. I just answered a post from SEPTEMBER...

::)