Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship money at a 4T  (Read 2826 times)

Cherry

• View Profile
Re: Scholarship money at a 4T
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 08:34:43 AM »
I turned down the University at Buffalo--SUNY for Appalachian School of Law.

Appalachian gave me a full ride as long as I remain in the top 20% of my class.  That with the VA resident grant for books, means all I have to pay for is my living expenses.  I have been saving up; with the way this looks I could just go through my savings for living expenses and not have to borrow anything for law school.

I am glad that at least a few people don’t think I am totally nuts.   

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 10:24:23 AM »
$100K is alot of debt to have, regardless of your starting salary.  I can't blame anyone for taking a generous offer from one law school over a so-called "higher tier" school.  It's good to see that some people aren't so caught up in the politics of U.S. News and World Distort.

I'm doing it to. 

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 10:39:26 AM »
Sorry for the error.  I meant "I'm doing it too".

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted and a special congrats to those who have earned scholarship dollars.  To be accepted to law school is an honor, regardless of the school or its "ranking".

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 10:57:55 AM »
I don't know why some people get so aggressive about going to the best school possible.  It's entirely a personal decision.  I wouldn't mind taking on the debt, but only since I'm aiming for a 1st tier, and will (fingers crossed) be able to make some big money for a year or two.  That, and with living with my boyfriend, hopefully be able to live poor for a couple of years more, paying off *both* our debt in the meantime.  It's a sacrifice we're willing to make.

Some people though, have different long term plans, different priorities, etc.  If I had a couple kids, there's no way in hell I'd turn down scholarship money at a lower tiered law school.

I think a lot of people need to take a step back, and realize these people are living their own lives, and are making decisions they feel are best for them and their loved ones.  That, and thinking about it in another light, when people take scholarship money to lower tiered schools, and decline offers from "high ranked" schools, well, a seat then opens up at said higher ranked school.  Those all about the tiers should be happy that others are opening spaces for them.   :)

Congrats for making your own decisions, whatever others may say, and best of luck!

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 11:32:37 AM »
Amen!

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 12:35:21 PM »
Thanks everyone – it is really quite refreshing to hear some – not overly obsessed with rankings- commentary.

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 12:44:17 PM »
Yeah.
Each situation is different.  Fit the school to your situation.