Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship money at a 4T  (Read 2739 times)

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Scholarship money at a 4T
« on: May 31, 2004, 06:18:22 PM »
Well, I had applied to Golden Gate University, and they
were EXTREMELY slow in processing my application.  About 2-3 weeks ago, I sent in a letter withdrawing my application.

This past Friday, to my surprise, I was accepted to Golden Gate U and received a $48,000.00 scholarship...

This is tempting...hmmmmm...but tuition alone is 11K per year above where I will be going to law school, and I'm going to a 2T...

But 48K is nice...oh well...

Anyone deciding on going to a less than favorable, even bottom rung school, as a result of a nice financial package? 

thechoson

Re: Scholarship money at a 4T
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 06:20:26 PM »
No.  Although I was SERIOUSLY considering UNLV, who gave me a full ride. In fact, if USD hadn't ponied up some cash, I would be headed to UNLV.

I suggest you stay the hell away from Golden Gate though

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 06:21:44 PM »
I will be going to the Univ of Oregon; but it was nice to see that a school would offer me that much money...

I have no interest in going to Golden Gate, nor living in San Fran...

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 06:23:59 PM »
I will be going to the Univ of Oregon; but it was nice to see that a school would offer me that much money...

I have no interest in going to Golden Gate, nor living in San Fran...

Congratulations, U of O is an awesome school, I am envious.

San Fran is an awesome city though. If USF let's me in first off, and can come up with some dough (which I doubt) I would really consider going to USF.  I want to be a public servant anyways, so who cares about rankings.

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 03:37:45 AM »
choson: why stay away from Golden Gate?

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 03:55:13 AM »
choson: why stay away from Golden Gate?

So much competition in the area- Boalt, Stanford, Hastings, Santa Clara, USF

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 02:30:28 PM »
lstudent...you have to stay in oregon with me!!! besides, not only is goldengate more expensive than u of o, therefore, the scholarship only helping making it about equal...the cost of living in san fran is out the roof, so just your living expenses are going to be a hell of a lot more...yeah, it is nice they offered you a scholarship...just say, thanks but no thanks, and go to oregon!  i was offered a scholarship at pacific-mcgeorge, but that school is so expensive, the scholarship, similarly, only brought the tuition down to the same rate as most of the other schools to which i was applying. 

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 04:32:55 PM »
Well, I had applied to Golden Gate University, and they
were EXTREMELY slow in processing my application.  About 2-3 weeks ago, I sent in a letter withdrawing my application.

This past Friday, to my surprise, I was accepted to Golden Gate U and received a $48,000.00 scholarship...

This is tempting...hmmmmm...but tuition alone is 11K per year above where I will be going to law school, and I'm going to a 2T...

But 48K is nice...oh well...

Anyone deciding on going to a less than favorable, even bottom rung school, as a result of a nice financial package? 

I have to admit I am doing this.  I am taking the full ride at a 4th tier school over no money at a tier 2.  I cannot justify the huge cost difference.  I know that you should always go to the best school you can get into to (or so people say on this board over and over again with some getting quite nasty about that opinion), but given that I am looking for a career in the education field or in public interest law.  I cannot believe that it will make that much of a difference.  However having an extra 100k in debt to live with will. 

risk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 07:54:54 AM »
Don't believe the nonsense that you make the difference back in a year.money is a huge factor

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 08:23:02 AM »
i dont blame you cherry...i'd probably do that too...besides, your experience will be whatever you make it...just kick ass there...make law review...and moot court...and be at the top of your class...and then you can be just as competitive out in the field as anyone from the tier 2 schools...
which schools was it, if you don't mind my asking?