One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2005, 11:38:45 AM »
alright, which one of you coons decided to get funny? >:(

« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2005, 12:08:15 PM »
Wow, didn't think I'd caused such a ruckess.

I'm a 43 year old creole from Louisiana.  My grandfather on my father's side was white, a Frenchman.  All the rest African American, Colored, Black, whatever you like to call it.

My nickname has been 'darkie' amongst my friends since I was a boy.  I thought making it pseudo French (Darque -> Darq E) was rather funny.

I've made enough in my former profession that I've decided to go back to school - in this case law school. 

I came across this board about 4 or 5 weeks ago.  I've been lurking ever since.  Some opinions I find interesting, to say the least.  Some encouraging, some discouraging.

The Supreme Court opinion really upset me, as it's hard enough to become a home owner w/out having to worry about the government taking it away from me.

Sorry if I upset anybody with my post.

« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2005, 12:21:17 PM »
You didn't upset anyone...but why the heck would your "friends" call you Darkie? 

I'd smack people if they starting calling me racial slurs.  Can you imagine?  "Hey Mammy, girl, what's up?" WRONG!!!

« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
Beat down!!!!! >:(

You didn't upset anyone...but why the heck would your "friends" call you Darkie? 

I'd smack people if they starting calling me racial slurs.  Can you imagine?  "Hey Mammy, girl, what's up?" WRONG!!!

« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2005, 12:43:20 PM »

It's b/c I'm just very, very black.  On top of that, I had to spend most of my free time outside throughout my childhood (biking around delivering papers and helping at a gas station) and teens (delivering produce to local markets).  With all the sun damage that that entails, I got even darker.

I didn't say my parents called me that.  Just my close friends.

It didn't offend me any more than one of my friends calling me the "N" word (I'm not sure if using that word permitted on this board, so I'll just be respectful and stick with the "N").

Still, in the spirit of friendship, would it make everyone more comfortable if I changed my screen name?  Rather make friends than enemies....

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »

It's b/c I'm just very, very black.  On top of that, I had to spend most of my free time outside throughout my childhood (biking around delivering papers and helping at a gas station) and teens (delivering produce to local markets).  With all the sun damage that that entails, I got even darker.

I didn't say my parents called me that.  Just my close friends.

It didn't offend me any more than one of my friends calling me the "N" word (I'm not sure if using that word permitted on this board, so I'll just be respectful and stick with the "N").

Still, in the spirit of friendship, would it make everyone more comfortable if I changed my screen name?  Rather make friends than enemies....

my vote is for a change.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 30, 2005, 03:51:49 PM »
i say keep it. use this as your avatar

You might have to scale it down.

« Reply #238 on: June 30, 2005, 05:27:01 PM »

rbg is back :D

i say keep it. use this as your avatar

You might have to scale it down.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Home of the Blue Sweater
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2005, 06:31:20 AM »
As far as a housing bubble there is a reasonable chance the liquidity of the housing market could be in danger. This is through the banks making the loans. With the increased honest demand for housing banks have been taking advantage of people offering interest only loans that in the worst case have a negative amortization. (meaning you actually owe more than when you started at certain points). As the banks became more liberal in their lending there was an increase in defaulted loans. This curbed the amount of lending in the financial market. Now with the increased prices in homes the only way to sustain this is with increased lending in the finance markets. As the banks bow out due to higher default risk the market (housing prices) will have to adjust to compensate for the decreased lending/decreased purchasing of homes. Now in regards to timelines this won't happen anytime in the near future because were dealing primarily in mortgages. However their is a real risk in the housing market colapsing not because of false demand in housing, but from unwarranted lending in the finance market. This same scenario happened in Japan about 15 years ago and the financial industry has yet to recover.