Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Home Ownership and Wealth Building  (Read 113954 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2005, 10:42:38 PM »
Regarding being whitewashed...

In a public policy class in college (Race and Ethnicity in America), we were talking about what it is to be black.  I am not black, but most of the people who were black said things along the same lines: Black people struggle with identity.  Who are we as a people?  What defines us, other than the color of our skin?

At which point it occurred to me: maybe much of the problem is that struggle has worked its way into the idea of what it means to be black. Maybe struggle has become the black identity for many people, which would explain why black people who are successful or want to be sucessful are ridiculed by their own people.  

I grew up in Oakland, so I've seen it first hand--black people who want to get somewhere in life face huge social pressure.  It's way more acceptable to be mediocre (or worse) than it is to be smart and successful.  If you're smart and get good grades, you're being white.  You dress nicely, you're being white.  

Since when are intelligence and class white-only traits???  

It's like, Black = Struggle.  No struggle = not black.  What's up with that???

I mean, the only people who rag on Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell or Bryant Gumbel or Oprah are either (a) ridiculous white supremicists, or (b) black people who say they're not "black enough."

How awful is that?  The only people who ridicule rich, sucessful blacks are crazy white supremicists and other blacks themselves!

Personally, I think the whole ghetto rapper thing just perpetuates the cycle, because they get rich, but they don't get educated. Or maybe they do--but they don't let us know it, because that would ruin their market niche....

Regular people need to have more Bryant Gumbels and Condoleza Rices, or even just professors and teachers, as role models.  Why? Because it's a lot easier to get scholarships for college, even if it's just a regional one, and then get a good job (with which you can support your family and help them get an education and more wealth building skills etc in general) than it is to land a recording deal and suddenly be catapulted out of your struggle... Same thing with professional sports.  Those are long shots.

And while "huge media mogul" (i.e. Oprah) is a long shot as well, "local reporter" isn't really. And that's how Oprah started.  Music or professional sports are basically all or nothing: you either make it huge, or you make nothing.  There is very little in between...But a college education is virtually guaranteed to help both you and your family, even if it takes a generation or two... (My mother was the first and only person in her family to go to college (with loans up the wazoo), and now both my brother and I are continuing on (with only some loans as of right now, though law school will change that). I plan to see to it that my kids continue on too, and maybe they won't need any loans, y'know?...)

The way I see it, this whole "black = struggle" thing has got to stop.  What happened to Black and Proud?  Seems to me like the only acceptable phrase has become "Struggling and Proud."  And it really shouldn't be that way... "Successful and Proud" has a much better ring to it...

Personally, I think this is rubbish.. stereotyping.. and even offensive..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2005, 10:51:51 PM »
yes! a contrarian.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2005, 09:15:15 AM »
how so? state your position?

Personally, I think this is rubbish.. stereotyping.. and even offensive..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2005, 12:05:15 PM »
Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

That is such a sweeping and closed minded statement.  There are plenty of people that would find this comment ridiculous.. I mean, I understand the point of the post, I just dont think its fair (to anyone) to make statements that label an entire group..

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2005, 12:28:08 PM »
you misconstrued what he's saying based on this post...

he's saying that in the Black community there are some Black people that equate a person's "blackness" to how much they struggle(d)

the lesser the struggle the less Black you are...

it's an unfortunate view to have but a lot of people really believe that *&^%..

Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

That is such a sweeping and closed minded statement.  There are plenty of people that would find this comment ridiculous.. I mean, I understand the point of the post, I just dont think its fair (to anyone) to make statements that label an entire group..

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2005, 12:43:26 PM »
Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

You have the second sentence backwards.  

It is not "no black = no struggle."  As you have it written, the phrase implies that if so long as you are not black (you are white, blue, green, whatever), you are not struggling.  This is patently false--struggle and suffering affect all people of all races and creeds (white, blue, green, whatever).  

What I DID say was that it would appear that if a black person is not struggling, then they are subject to criticism for not being black enough. (no struggle = no black)

I based these remarks on observations made in my own life.  I have seen how black people who are successful are often criticized by other black people for being whitewashed, or an oreo--basically, for not being black enough.  

But how can that be?  Their skin color hasn't changed--only their level of income and education.  And if we're to the point where it is socially unacceptable in some circles to be both black AND educated with a good income, we're at a sad, sad day...

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2005, 12:44:55 PM »
you misconstrued what he's saying based on this post...

he's saying that in the Black community there are some Black people that equate a person's "blackness" to how much they struggle(d)

the lesser the struggle the less Black you are...

it's an unfortunate view to have but a lot of people really believe that sh*t..

Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

Blk_Reign--you got it exactly...

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »
This is how most blacks view our community. The vast majority of blacks view themselves as inferior. This is the truth. At the very center of black identity is self-hatred drowles. Most of us hate everything black: schools, and businesses. Most of all we hate who we are because we are not white. Itís some deep *&^%. Goes back to centuries of slavery. Slave culture was passed down from generation to generation. Think about it. Slavery didnít end 1,000 years ago. Hell, my grandmother knew someone that was a slave. Thatís some deep *&^% when you can talk to someone who actually knew a slave in this country.     

As far as black people are concerned being black has nothing to do with the color of your skin. That is why Bill Clinton was voted as one of the greatest African-Americans in this country, and Collin Powel is considered a sell out cracker. Negros are messed up man.

Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2005, 01:55:23 PM »
This is how most blacks view our community. The vast majority of blacks view themselves as inferior. This is the truth. At the very center of black identity is self-hatred drowles. Most of us hate everything black: schools, and businesses. Most of all we hate who we are because we are not white. Itís some deep sh*t. Goes back to centuries of slavery. Slave culture was passed down from generation to generation. Think about it. Slavery didnít end 1,000 years ago. Hell, my grandmother knew someone that was a slave. Thatís some deep sh*t when you can talk to someone who actually knew a slave in this country.     

As far as black people are concerned being black has nothing to do with the color of your skin. That is why Bill Clinton was voted as one of the greatest African-Americans in this country, and Collin Powel is considered a sell out cracker. Negros are messed up man.

Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

Colin Powell is a sell out cracker because he didnt stand up to George W, Bill Clinton was voted a great president because he spent a lot of his time on the current plight of African Americans.  I know several blacks who do not "hate who they are".. Its simply ridiculous to think that because a few of your friends hold this view.. or even all the blacks in your community that this is a view of the black population throughout the nation.. I dont take issue when people say "some blacks".. or "i know people who".. but when you say "all" or even "most".. you are stereotyping.. and its shameful in my opinion..

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2005, 02:00:05 PM »
You don't know anything about black people. ALL blacks have been affected by slavery. ALL of us. You are removed from our situation and you only see our issues on the surface. You canít dig the historical significance of our post.

This is how most blacks view our community. The vast majority of blacks view themselves as inferior. This is the truth. At the very center of black identity is self-hatred drowles. Most of us hate everything black: schools, and businesses. Most of all we hate who we are because we are not white. Itís some deep sh*t. Goes back to centuries of slavery. Slave culture was passed down from generation to generation. Think about it. Slavery didnít end 1,000 years ago. Hell, my grandmother knew someone that was a slave. Thatís some deep sh*t when you can talk to someone who actually knew a slave in this country.     

Black = Struggle
No Black = no struggle..

Colin Powell is a sell out cracker because he didnt stand up to George W, Bill Clinton was voted a great president because he spent a lot of his time on the current plight of African Americans.  I know several blacks who do not "hate who they are".. Its simply ridiculous to think that because a few of your friends hold this view.. or even all the blacks in your community that this is a view of the black population throughout the nation.. I dont take issue when people say "some blacks".. or "i know people who".. but when you say "all" or even "most".. you are stereotyping.. and its shameful in my opinion..