Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Home Ownership and Wealth Building  (Read 113335 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2005, 01:32:24 PM »
i ain't runnig away, but i'm done with this argument. and a lot of people don't think my argument was jacked up.

i was 15 at the oldest

Dude - you look like Ricky Henderson.

Look to the left -- Look to the right

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2005, 01:34:17 PM »
you're jacked up. and you still haven't said anything useful.

what's wrong with my picture ???

You look like you sell meat door to door. That's what's wrong.

official2008

• Sr. Citizen
  • London Jazz Cafe
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - official2007
    • View Profile
    • LSN PROFILE
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »

you would know too RBG, i'm sure you be buying those meats...when the last time you seen the outside?
Give is us free!

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2005, 01:39:52 PM »

you would know too RBG, i'm sure you be buying those meats...when the last time you seen the outside?

when I opened the door for the cable guy. I didn't open it for you though; last time I bought steaks from your ass they were as flimsy as your "don't buy, rent" argument.  :D

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2005, 01:40:14 PM »
Offical.. no one is stereotyping you for wearing a gold/silver chain ::) geez...

RBG and HBC make fun of everybody on the board at one point or another.. it's never serious..

Secondly.. what do u mean defend yourself? And people getting personal.. you mean to tell me that people have never joked around in your presence? Or tried to make you or anyone see how silly a statement may sound? Come on now it’s all in jest..

You can’t be that sensitive if you’re going to be an attorney..

---

The point that I'm making is this..  you argued that renting is a better option for most people.. I don’t understand why you don’t think it is a better investment to buy property before investing into stocks/bonds etc..

In the four yrs that I’ve rented an apt I found myself spending close to 80k  that will never be recouped.. and I’ll never benefit from that.. it wasn’t an investment.. it was a waste of money…and I wasn’t happy in that situation…

if a person buys a home (even with a 40k salary for example) they would find themselves paying less than what they would to rent in all probability.. three yrs down the line they can refinance or rent their home out if they want to move into something bigger and better… that is the beginning of wealth building and financial security

you have to have somewhere to live right? Why not own it? Unless you’re going to live in a “bad” area or small city 9 out of 10 you’re going to spend at least 800-1k for a nice apt.. why not put that same money into a mortgage?

I have to disagree on the whole American dream/buy a house theory. I’m against buying homes to “build wealth,” as far as helping black people goes. I think the discussion so far has been talking about the wrong type of wealth, (i.e. monetary) which doesn’t necessarily follow from buying a home btw.

It just seems to me that you have this attitude that we’re ‘whitewashed’ because we want to buy homes.. because we want to get professional degrees (which u’re about to do I might add) but I don’t believe that anyone thinks they’re “better” than  any of our brothas and sistas that have chosen a different path than we have.. we are just trying to help them- those that want to be helped

Some  people may think you’re ‘white washed’ because you’re overseas working for an international law firm… most black folks aren’t even interested in that kind of thing (I say that because I've studied it for yrs..and i've heard that for yrs).. does that make you less than a black man? I think not.. you’ve already passed judgments and formed your opinions about us..and it really doesn’t make any sense
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2005, 01:47:55 PM »

LOL.. great comeback.. you're a smart cookie.. aint you?

There is nothing useful to be said.. Its smarter to buy then rent for a plethora of reasons.. some of these reasons have already been mentioned.. its pretty simple.. Building credit and equity is smart.. throwing money down the toilet is not!  

You look very sexy in your picture..  
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

official2008

• Sr. Citizen
  • London Jazz Cafe
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - official2007
    • View Profile
    • LSN PROFILE
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2005, 01:51:03 PM »
Offical.. no one is stereotyping you for wearing a gold/silver chain ::) geez...

RBG and HBC make fun of everybody on the board at one point or another.. it's never serious..

Secondly.. what do u mean defend yourself? And people getting personal.. you mean to tell me that people have never joked around in your presence? Or tried to make you or anyone see how silly a statement may sound? Come on now it’s all in jest..

You can’t be that sensitive if you’re going to be an attorney..

---

The point that I'm making is this..  you argued that renting is a better option for most people.. I don’t understand why you don’t think it is a better investment to buy property before investing into stocks/bonds etc..

In the four yrs that I’ve rented an apt I found myself spending close to 80k  that will never be recouped.. and I’ll never benefit from that.. it wasn’t an investment.. it was a waste of money…and I wasn’t happy in that situation…

if a person buys a home (even with a 40k salary for example) they would find themselves paying less than what they would to rent in all probability.. three yrs down the line they can refinance or rent their home out if they want to move into something bigger and better… that is the beginning of wealth building and financial security

you have to have somewhere to live right? Why not own it? Unless you’re going to live in a “bad” area or small city 9 out of 10 you’re going to spend at least 800-1k for a nice apt.. why not put that same money into a mortgage?

I have to disagree on the whole American dream/buy a house theory. I’m against buying homes to “build wealth,” as far as helping black people goes. I think the discussion so far has been talking about the wrong type of wealth, (i.e. monetary) which doesn’t necessarily follow from buying a home btw.

It just seems to me that you have this attitude that we’re ‘whitewashed’ because we want to buy homes.. because we want to get professional degrees (which u’re about to do I might add) but I don’t believe that anyone thinks they’re “better” than  any of our brothas and sistas that have chosen a different path than we have.. we are just trying to help them- those that want to be helped

Some  people may think you’re ‘white washed’ because you’re overseas working for an international law firm… most black folks aren’t even interested in that kind of thing (I say that because I've studied it for yrs..and i've heard that for yrs).. does that make you less than a black man? I think not.. you’ve already passed judgments and formed your opinions about us..and it really doesn’t make any sense

i'm done, Black, we just disagree.
i didn't pass judgement on anyone; i just like to argue.
the time difference makes it difficult for me to get on when y'all are on... i don't think i'm being sensitive, but when i come in to work, and i see this *&^% i can't respond to cause i'm too busy... i can't get back at y'all, with my argument or responses to the jabs.

Give is us free!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2005, 01:51:55 PM »
dude are you hitting on him?? :o :-\

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2005, 01:54:22 PM »
Official..there's nothing wrong with disagreeing... just know that you stand alone on this topic..

my statement about you and your judgments isn't only based on this thread.. it's based on things that you've said in various threads when we debate on here..it just seems that no matter what is said you always choose to disagree with EVERYONE

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2005, 01:54:55 PM »
dude are you hitting on him?? :o :-\

Nah.. sarcasm.. Although he is kinda sexy, in a Ricky Henderson sort of way.. 

I just wanted to get his chin up a bit.. He seems a little defeated..

I wish he'd just admit that his argument is, at least a little bit, flawed (its obvious that he already know this)...

Oh well..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL