Home Ownership and Wealth Building

official2008

• London Jazz Cafe
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - official2007
    • View Profile
    • LSN PROFILE
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2005, 01:21:08 PM »
Msjay, youíre right, my family did rentÖ until they could afford to, and it was the right to, buy a home; we got three now.  ;)

Anyway, I can only assume that I presented the argument poorly, as it is not really as controversial as you make it out to be. Economists have been saying this for years.

Itís my fault though, i should have realized that I canít discuss this with non-economists and closed-minded people without backing it up.

So, listen to the economics editor of the Economist Magazine, this Harvard economist, and another smart economist touch on what I failed to get across.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4624307&sourceCode=RSS

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4531732

Iím going to get some numbers for yíall too.

Be easy.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2005, 01:25:13 PM »
Msjay, youíre right, my family did rentÖ until they could afford to, and it was the right to, buy a home; we got three now. ;)

Anyway, I can only assume that I presented the argument poorly, as it is not really as controversial as you make it out to be. Economists have been saying this for years.

Itís my fault though, i should have realized that I canít discuss this with non-economists and closed-minded people without backing it up.

So, listen to the economics editor of the Economist Magazine, this Harvard economist, and another smart economist touch on what I failed to get across.

Be easy.

damn, why do half the people on this board have parents banking it like that?  idea for a poll, how many homes/properties do your parents own?   :-\

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2005, 01:42:57 PM »
Msjay, youíre right, my family did rentÖ until they could afford to, and it was the right to, buy a home; we got three now.  ;)

Be easy.

You posted a link from an economist backing up your claim, while ignoring the overwhelming economic data and analysis that hammers home the opposing view.  If a single viewpoint can be held out as proof against a mountain of conflicting evidence, then hereís a link to a scientific study outlining why global warming does not exist.  I guess that settles it...

http://www.marshall.org/article.php?id=149

official2008

• London Jazz Cafe
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - official2007
    • View Profile
    • LSN PROFILE
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »
that's one way to do it; just discredit anything counter to your beliefs. you're never wrong that way...

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2005, 02:10:47 PM »
Hold on Official.. you think we're closed minded because we don't agree with you? ???

I'm speaking from my experiences.. renting for 4 yrs.. owning for 1..

so since your family owns three homes now.. do they regret ownership? are they planning on going back to renting??

faith2005

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2005, 02:23:18 PM »
i hate to say it, but after reading this thread, i find it really hard to believe that a black man whose parents own three homes would be discouraging other young black people from buying a home. i am not planning to buy a home right now, but i have seen other people do it who are 35 and under, and none of them regret the decision. i mean its almost guaranteed that if you own a home and rent it out, the renters are paying the mortgage plus extra. and even if its in a neighborhood where the property values are falling, the rent might be low, but its still probably going to cover the mortgage plus some. i see it here in b-more, as the neighborhood changes, white people are buying the houses, sometimes its their second/third, but one landlord i met actually lives in florida and owns a home in baltimore broken up into apts. and with a 2 family, even if you don't rent out the other half, you can split it with family and pool your resources in terms of child-care/property maintenance and everything else. i think that book rich dad/poor dad talks alot about this issue. the man made millions off of home ownership and he didn't start off wealthy at all.

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2005, 02:50:53 PM »
yeah Faith..you know when he said that his parents owned 3 houses...I was dying :D.. then he said "we".. like his name was on the deed  :D

i can see it now..

official: mom/dad you know it's better to rent it gives you the security to live wherever you want and beat to your own drum

official's parents: *smack*

official: getting up off the floor but mom :'( :-\  check out this link on NPR it will substantiate my claim

official's parents: to his younger siblings don't listen to a damn thing your bro says >:(

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2005, 03:33:22 PM »
yeah Faith..you know when he said that his parents owned 3 houses...I was dying :D.. then he said "we".. like his name was on the deed  :D

i can see it now..

official: mom/dad you know it's better to rent it gives you the security to live wherever you want and beat to your own drum

official: getting up off the floor but mom :'( :-\  check out this link on NPR it will substantiate my claim

official's parents: to his younger siblings don't listen to a damn thing your bro says >:(

:D, I can see you've been hanging around HBCU;)  haha, I hope official gets the irony of his position.

Intuition

• We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2005, 03:38:33 PM »

i can see it now..

You forgot...offical's parents: *smack* (for the backtalk)

ROFL

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2005, 03:39:24 PM »
yo - Official - I have to ask: Is that a gold chain?