Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Home Ownership and Wealth Building  (Read 115256 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2005, 04:12:35 PM »
I prefer my government name RBG.

Official: listen man, just as homes appreciate they can depreciate, you can lose money too, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you're doing. so that equity you built...gone. bottom line, i mortgage is a burden! why take on the stress, why live in one place for so long? why pay the interest, the maintenance fees?

rent! there are better things, more reliable things to put your money into. again, how you live is way more important than where you live...nobody cares if you own or rent. an example-- a hypothetical if you will.

scenario one: everyone owns their house, great. but that's it. they pay (to be fair 25% of their income on it) however, they're stuck... in a deteriorating home...under a stressful loan...in that city...in that school district...with those neighbours...with that obligation...with the maintenance costs...for 30-something years...basically, between a rock and a hard place.

scenario two: people rent, from the white man even. they pay 30% of their income on rent. yet they're free from the homeowners burdens. they have options. their quality of life is a bit better... and for that i say they're wealthy(er).

so, it all comes down to two things:

1. opportunity costs; like i said before, you have to ask yourself are the troubles and heartache that come with homeownership or rather buying a home... that you can't afford to buy upfront worth the benefits of renting that you give up?

2. political capital that amasses from putting your money in better-suited, more fruitful places. your child and their children will benefit more from a black bank, or, God forbid, real black communal wealth than they would with a house or piece of real estate.

Black: you'd be surprised what percentages of a person's income they pay on their mortgages. i

i didnít elect to become a lawyer for its prestige, i feel i'll have a bigger voice if i'm an esquire than i would otherwise

Please tell me you are kidding me... Your philosophy is so far off base its not even worth attempting to explain how wrong you are.. as others have done successfully.. I just cant believe you are serious!?!?
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2005, 04:22:25 PM »
Speaking of Spinning Rims I just saw a guy rolling in a fukking 70something Nova with Spinners and not the cheap ones the real good ones...he looked like a DAmn fool.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2005, 04:25:43 PM »
I have a question and since I am the most influential poster on this damn board, I want you people to pay attention to what I have to say.

How risky is it to start your own practice and what do you think about it in general? Would you guys ever do it? Thanks in advance for the copious suppy of thoughtful responses that will undoubtedly ensue.  :)
Look to the left -- Look to the right

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2005, 04:41:10 PM »
I'm going to attend a meeting for solo practitioners fairly soon..so I'll get back to you on that... HBC and I will probably start our own practice after he finishes law school.. unless i kick it off before then...

I have a question and since I am the most influential poster on this damn board, I want you people to pay attention to what I have to say.

How risky is it to start your own practice and what do you think about it in general? Would you guys ever do it? Thanks in advance for the copious suppy of thoughtful responses that will undoubtedly ensue.  :)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »
BP,
did you bring that file?

reign/HBCU
what kind of practice?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47:46 PM »

yet to be determined

reign/HBCU
what kind of practice?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »

That's my exact plan to start my own business, we as a people must strive to be independant and start making a way for ourselves...I may work in a firm for a few years to get experience but if I am going to slave away working I'm gonna do it for myself and to build a legacy.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
BP,
did you bring that file?

reign/HBCU
what kind of practice?

You dun know I forgot chile <in a Jamaican accent for effect>  :-[

pm me your email and I'll send it tonight.  Matter of fact, I'll try to put it in a yahoo briefcase so everyone can get access.  Hit me up.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2005, 07:39:41 PM »
Official: listen man, just as homes appreciate they can depreciate, you can lose money too, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you're doing. so that equity you built...gone. bottom line, i mortgage is a burden! why take on the stress, why live in one place for so long? why pay the interest, the maintenance fees?

rent! there are better things, more reliable things to put your money into. again, how you live is way more important than where you live...nobody cares if you own or rent. an example-- a hypothetical if you will.

scenario one: everyone owns their house, great. but that's it. they pay (to be fair 25% of their income on it) however, they're stuck... in a deteriorating home...under a stressful loan...in that city...in that school district...with those neighbours...with that obligation...with the maintenance costs...for 30-something years...basically, between a rock and a hard place.

scenario two: people rent, from the white man even. they pay 30% of their income on rent. yet they're free from the homeowners burdens. they have options. their quality of life is a bit better... and for that i say they're wealthy(er).

so, it all comes down to two things:

1. opportunity costs; like i said before, you have to ask yourself are the troubles and heartache that come with homeownership or rather buying a home... that you can't afford to buy upfront worth the benefits of renting that you give up?

2. political capital that amasses from putting your money in better-suited, more fruitful places. your child and their children will benefit more from a black bank, or, God forbid, real black communal wealth than they would with a house or piece of real estate.

You are assuming that if a home depriciates, the lower sale will result in a total loss of equity (in this case, reasonably defined as money paid for the use of a place to live during the time that one lives there).  This may be true in some cases.  The only problem is that renters lose 100% of their equity (money paid for use of a place to live) in 100% of the cases.

No matter what, people have to pay for a place to live, and no matter what, renters will never get any of that money back.  Homeowners may--and often do.

Furthermore, owning a home outright is extremly freeing.  A home loan is paid off after 30 years in most cases, meaning that you will have more income available for other things as you get older.  Renters never stop paying rent.

As such, there are basically two options:

(1) pay a slightly lower amount every month of every year until the day you die (sometimes 60+ years--and recognizing that rents do rise over time).  or

(2) Pay a slightly higher, but generally consistent, amount every month for 30 years (slightly higher due to maintenence and property taxes), and then pay a reduced rate (ONLY maintenence and property taxes) from then on until the day you die.

Option 2 is cheaper in the long run AND provides (emotional) stability to those who live there--in addition to leaving a legacy for those who follow.

I believe that it is that legacy of stability that will improve people's lives.  Where there is stability, real choices can be made. People can act, not react.  I believe that that kind of stability will make all the difference in improving lives--eductationally, monetarily, politically. 

Stability means you're in control of your own life, and that is the true beginning of freedom--black or otherwise.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2005, 10:09:53 AM »
well said anodduck.. are u looking to buy a home? i don't discriminate ;) ;D

seriously though.. buying a home makes more sense..why waste some money on something that will NEVER be yours.. might as well rent a car for the rest of your life while you're at it too