Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Home Ownership and Wealth Building  (Read 113073 times)

seu2002

Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 11:22:08 AM »
from what i've gathered, it's just BP.  and you too, no?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 11:25:27 AM »
i have a home already ;D.. now i'm trying to help others ;D

from what i've gathered, it's just BP.  and you too, no?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

angelus

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »
Econnomic subjugation is a useful tool. Get he masses excited about a product through media manipulation and they will spend all their money on consumable goods taht lose value over time rather than investing their money in property, education, stocks, etc. thus they have a hand in their own subjugation....IMO.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 02:07:28 PM »
why are you SO negative  ???

Econnomic subjugation is a useful tool. Get he masses excited about a product through media manipulation and they will spend all their money on consumable goods taht lose value over time rather than investing their money in property, education, stocks, etc. thus they have a hand in their own subjugation....IMO.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 02:13:08 PM »
so is anyone trying to buy a home anytime soon? :)

Hey folks, I thought I would chime in with my thoughts on home ownership.  

First off owning a home alone will not make you rich, however what it can and will do for you is provide a cushion for certain "financial mistakes" that one may make in their youth. ;)  It will also provide you with a valuable tax write off each year.  But what home ownership has done for me is provide an opportunity for me to achieve my dream of being an attorney.  I am a fairly young man and have owned my house for 7 years...I am selling this house and buying a new house and going to Law school.  The selling of my house and moving to a less expensive, and better area is allowing me to accomplish all of my goals, limit my debt and keep my family happy at the same time.  I am saying this as a testimonial to the power of home ownership.  Most markets are growing and will probably continue to grow because..."They don't make Real Estate anymore"...sure the bubble may burst or shrink but people will always need a place to live...and the American Dream is based upon owning land, and if that is not enough the Bible says to own land and property.  When we as a race begin to put Homeownership above all other material items, then we will begin to see a shift in the wealth of America flowing more in our direction.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."

angelus

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 02:19:59 PM »
I thought I was being realistic.

why are you SO negative  ???

official2008

• Sr. Citizen
  • London Jazz Cafe
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - official2007
    • View Profile
    • LSN PROFILE
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »
Let me jump in on this one.

I have to disagree on the whole American dream/buy a house theory. I’m against buying homes to “build wealth,” as far as helping black people goes. I think the discussion so far has been talking about the wrong type of wealth, (i.e. monetary) which doesn’t necessarily follow from buying a home btw.

We should be trying to build political capital rather than anything fiscal. You see, people always think that money is power, but it’s just the opposite, power is money (you have to understand the linguistic properties of identity to understand that the statement I just made isn’t the same), but let me explain what I’m saying. It doesn’t matter where you live, or if you own that residence or not, what matters is how you live. Being stuck under a burdensome mortgage for 20-30+ years is not the way to go.  However, owning a solid stock portfolio is, having the mobility to get up and leave a particular political district or economy is as well. 

Just think if black people instead of putting 30 to sometimes 60/80% of their income into buying a house were to invest that money into something that helps us all. Like black businesses, black banks…Africa!

Of course there are exceptions, but buying a home is so secondary.
Give is us free!

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 02:52:08 PM »
official - what are you doing in the UK?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »
 :D And you said that *&^% with a modicum of sincerity!

Let me jump in on this one.

I have to disagree on the whole American dream/buy a house theory. I’m against buying homes to “build wealth,” as far as helping black people goes. I think the discussion so far has been talking about the wrong type of wealth, (i.e. monetary) which doesn’t necessarily follow from buying a home btw.

We should be trying to build political capital rather than anything fiscal. You see, people always think that money is power, but it’s just the opposite, power is money (you have to understand the linguistic properties of identity to understand that the statement I just made isn’t the same), but let me explain what I’m saying. It doesn’t matter where you live, or if you own that residence or not, what matters is how you live. Being stuck under a burdensome mortgage for 20-30+ years is not the way to go.  However, owning a solid stock portfolio is, having the mobility to get up and leave a particular political district or economy is as well. 

Just think if black people instead of putting 30 to sometimes 60/80% of their income into buying a house were to invest that money into something that helps us all. Like black businesses, black banks…Africa!

Of course there are exceptions, but buying a home is so secondary.