Law School Discussion

Home Ownership and Wealth Building

A.

• View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #670 on: June 28, 2007, 06:01:49 PM »
I do not take back a single thing I've said.  Namely, life events happen that alter some families courses and some people Wild out.  We could all do a better job in planning ahead.  I don't appreciate your holier than though attitude when I think my comments were fairly reasonable.

titcr.  Planning ahead could solve all of the problems she mentioned.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 28, 2007, 06:03:20 PM »
I do not take back a single thing I've said.  Namely, life events happen that alter some families courses and some people Wild out.  We could all do a better job in planning ahead.  I don't appreciate your holier than though attitude when I think my comments were fairly reasonable.

titcr.  Planning ahead could solve all of the problems she mentioned.

thats taking it too far.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 28, 2007, 06:14:47 PM »
not really

ETA: OK, most of them

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 28, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
not really

injury/disability, death, major health problems, and job loss strike me as things that are hard to predict and can be hard to overcome even if one is diligent in saving

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:17 PM »
I do not take back a single thing I've said.  Namely, life events happen that alter some families' course and some people wild out.  We could all do a better job in planning ahead.  I don't appreciate your holier than though attitude when I think my comments were fairly reasonable.

I didnt ask you take anything back..first rule in growing up knowing to agree to disagree. As for my holier than though attitude it is no different than you spouting the gospel according to you..when you have no idea of the whole situation.
Now I have spoken my peace and counted to three.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 28, 2007, 06:22:37 PM »
I do not take back a single thing I've said.  Namely, life events happen that alter some families' course and some people wild out.  We could all do a better job in planning ahead.  I don't appreciate your holier than though attitude when I think my comments were fairly reasonable.

I didnt ask you take anything back..first rule in growing up knowing to agree to disagree. As for my holier than though attitude it is no different than you spouting the gospel according to you..when you have no idea of the whole situation.
Now I have spoken my peace and counted to three.

me thinks you haven't read any of my posts.  ah well.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 28, 2007, 06:28:28 PM »
not really

injury/disability, death, major health problems, and job loss strike me as things that are hard to predict and can be hard to overcome even if one is diligent in saving

Only the first is something that I would say can't be planned for.  The next two can be handled with insurance for the most part, and the last can probably be handled by saving a few months' salary.  Now I'm talking about those with white-collar jobs.  Of course, things are different if you don't have a nice income and portable/valuable job skills.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:34 PM »
sorry Alci, but if within seven months after starting at firm XYZ God forbid any of those things happen to you (save perhaps the last) you will be in trouble.  And insurance will not cover nearly enough for most life events.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 28, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »
Yeah true.  You're right.  But for the grace of God...  ::sigh::

« Reply #679 on: June 28, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »
this is true provided that you already have a nice cushion..I had a minor setback last yr after my surgery but I just had to move a few things around not to incur any major setbacks..
it's a whole lot easier to save when you're only responsible for self...

not really

Only the first is something that I would say can't be planned for.  The next two can be handled with insurance for the most part, and the last can probably be handled by saving a few months' salary.  Now I'm talking about those with white-collar jobs.  Of course, things are different if you don't have a nice income and portable/valuable job skills.