Law School Discussion

Home Ownership and Wealth Building

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #510 on: May 21, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »
Or just open HSBC and a better account, then transfer money into HSBC when you're going to be abroad.

then you start thinking about all of the days of missed interest and think about opening another account to maximize transfers...and then there are the bonuses for opening a new account AND THE CYCLE NEVER STOPS!

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 21, 2007, 07:11:56 AM »
HSBC gets on my nerves in terms of their timing, but you certainly do get the "bang" of having all the ATMs worldwide.  i'm a bit of a rate-chaser but maybe you are right that hunkering down and sticking to one gives you more peace of mind.

I've never used the atm card that comes with the account

What do you do with it?  transfer funds when you need it into a local bank?

« Reply #512 on: May 21, 2007, 07:13:09 AM »
HSBC gets on my nerves in terms of their timing, but you certainly do get the "bang" of having all the ATMs worldwide.  i'm a bit of a rate-chaser but maybe you are right that hunkering down and sticking to one gives you more peace of mind.

I don't spend it--I'm saving it.  I have a checking account and a savings account--i only use the money in of BofA checking account.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 21, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »
Or just open HSBC and a better account, then transfer money into HSBC when you're going to be abroad.

then you start thinking about all of the days of missed interest and think about opening another account to maximize transfers...and then there are the bonuses for opening a new account AND THE CYCLE NEVER STOPS!

That's why you put your transition money in Everbank or GMAC, then write a check and deposit it in the HSBC atm.  No lost interest! 

lol it's so addictive 8).

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 21, 2007, 07:15:05 AM »
cool.  additional question open to all:
what are people saving for?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 21, 2007, 07:16:17 AM »

I don't spend it--I'm saving it.  I have a checking account and a savings account--i only use the money in of BofA checking account.

Which I hope is interest-bearing...

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 21, 2007, 07:17:10 AM »

That's why you put your transition money in Everbank or GMAC, then write a check and deposit it in the HSBC atm.  No lost interest! 

lol it's so addictive 8).

I guess i have to track down a fax machine.   >:(

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 21, 2007, 07:19:30 AM »
cool.  additional question open to all:
what are people saving for?

Law school!  Once I've exhausted that money I don't expect to have any significant savings (other than summer money which will be used the next school year) until after I graduate.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 21, 2007, 07:20:22 AM »
I guess i have to track down a fax machine.   >:(

Let me know if it's worth it.  I will probably be envious of your ACH pulls this summer.

« Reply #519 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:06 AM »

Which I hope is interest-bearing...

i don't think it is...the reason i have that account is bc when it was fleet, that was the only bank here in nyc and also in providence.  so i just kept the account after graduation.    regardless, for most checking accounts you need to maintain a high amount of money, and i never do that bc that is the money i spend to shop and pay bills and stuff.