Law School Discussion

Home Ownership and Wealth Building

A.

• View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #450 on: July 05, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
I think Atlanta still has potential if you're interested in helping refine the city.  It grew and grew over the past couple of decades, but it didn't grow services and other living-enhancing attributes to match.  Now it's time for the other stuff to catch up.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:15 AM »
I think Atlanta still has potential if you're interested in helping refine the city.  It grew and grew over the past couple of decades, but it didn't grow services and other living-enhancing attributes to match.  Now it's time for the other stuff to catch up.

hmm good point  something to consider

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 05, 2006, 11:08:34 AM »

hmm good point  something to consider

I agree with CN and Alci.  Atl today isn't the city I expected when I went there for school, but it has the potential to be great again.  Watch this space.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 05, 2006, 11:23:34 AM »
Don't get me wrong folks - Atlanta is a good place to live, most definitely. It's just not the hot scene, party wise, that it used to be back in the late 90s/2000. These days, you gotta go to Miami or Vegas for that.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2006, 11:37:18 AM »
I guess my point is that the relative cheapness of ATL does not come without costs.  Generally, the more expensive the city, the more services and QOL enhancements offered.  NYC is expensive as hell, but it has great public transportation, lots of cultural offerings, world class resources, and access to the world's financial elite.  Lots of people want to live there, putting real estate at a premium.  Atlanta is a nice city in which to settle down and raise a family on a modest income...but don't think it really compares to NYC or DC in terms of QOL if you value the above-mentioned things.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 05, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »
You can never be too yankified.

Oh yes indeed you can.  I think I might end up on Alci's path -- splitting between DC and my Southern dream city (Charlotte) -- in the future.

especially for you, titcr

Do most firms let you split or is it only a select few that are open to that kind of deal?  And this would likely have to be in the second year, right (unless you go to Yale -- got some YLS 1L friends splitting)?

BTW, Charlotte is wonderful.  I just hope it doesn't explode too much between now and when I get down there!

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 05, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »
Most firms "require" you to split the first half of your summer with them.  So what you usually have to do is pick your favorite, then force the other firm to let you split the second half with them.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 05, 2006, 11:50:16 AM »
Most firms "require" you to split the first half of your summer with them.  So what you usually have to do is pick your favorite, then force the other firm to let you split the second half with them.

Is it possible to split, say, DC firm -- NC public interest type?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 05, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »
Yep.  Some firms will even pay you to do it.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 05, 2006, 11:51:19 AM »

Is it possible to split, say, DC firm -- NC public interest type?

yes thats easy, but you won't make any money for the NC portion.