« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2005, 07:07:39 AM »
yeah, thats tight omegaman.

bp--rosewood is a good movie... :)

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2005, 09:43:40 AM »
Thanks for posting that article, omegaman.  That is just shady, though.

How does everyone feel about reparations?  I personally don't think that they will accomplish much if given out, simply because the problem is so much more than money.  I think institutional racisim is the problem that needs to be combatted more than giving out money for wrongs done to our people.  Besides, who would pay whom, and how much? 

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2005, 10:02:35 AM »
Thanks for posting that article, omegaman.  That is just shady, though.

How does everyone feel about reparations?  I personally don't think that they will accomplish much if given out, simply because the problem is so much more than money.  I think institutional racisim is the problem that needs to be combatted more than giving out money for wrongs done to our people.  Besides, who would pay whom, and how much? 

I will take my 40 acres, they can keep the mule.
How about make companies that capitalized off of slavery pay the reparations?

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
But then, who do you make the check out too?  Do you make a class action settlement or something?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2005, 10:07:53 AM »
But then, who do you make the check out too?  Do you make a class action settlement or something?

Me.  You make the check out to E's law school fund.

angelus

« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2005, 10:19:07 AM »

How does everyone feel about reparations? 

Are we talking just for black folks? What about the Native Americans? What about the Irish, Italian, and Eastern europeans that were discriminated against in the 1800's? What about the Chinesse forced to build railroads under virtual slave labor? Where does it end?

Will throwing money at it solve the problem or is something deeper in need of changing. money never solves problems of ignorance and disrespect.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2005, 11:21:45 AM »

Are we talking just for black folks? What about the Native Americans? What about the Irish, Italian, and Eastern europeans that were discriminated against in the 1800's? What about the Chinesse forced to build railroads under virtual slave labor? Where does it end?

Will throwing money at it solve the problem or is something deeper in need of changing. money never solves problems of ignorance and disrespect.

Will throwing people in jail solve our crime problems? No, but it is necessary though. The atonement for individual criminals and criminal companies is commonly accepted as jail and fines respectively.  So I'm all for money being "thrown at the problem" if these companies contributed to the problem itself.  Todays' incarnation of the problem is a lack of healthcare, lower quality education, discrimination in the workplace, housing inequalities..and so on.  These are things that can be practically addressed with money.  Who would pay whom? Companies that have contributed in any way to the slave trade should pay money into a managed fund (the model worked on by Johnny Cochran before he passed) and that fund be used to start a perpetual fellowship that could be used to focus on the lingering inequalities that face us..some of which I mentioned above.

It's not really that complicated.  Besides, if they could go through the complicated logistics involved in the trade of human beings, they can find a way to make this work!

« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2005, 11:27:10 AM »
gotta love the lurkers that only post when we talk about issues dealing with racial disparities :D :D :D

faith2005

« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »
thats tight bp. you have my approval! ;) angelus of course other people have been discriminated against. some of them have gotten reparations, some haven't. some of the groups you mentioned haven't experienced the same types of lingering effects of discrimination that black people have in this country. there is no other group that was similarly targeted by the U.S. govt. other than Native Americans (who received land grants aka reservations, and the right to self-governance, even though its a joke). I think thats why the case should be compelling. but because of the money involved it's going to take alot for folks to agree to give reparations.

Will throwing people in jail solve our crime problems? No, but it is necessary though. The atonement for individual criminals and criminal companies is commonly accepted as jail and fines respectively.  So I'm all for money being "thrown at the problem" if these companies contributed to the problem itself.  Todays' incarnation of the problem is a lack of healthcare, lower quality education, discrimination in the workplace, housing inequalities..and so on.  These are things that can be practically addressed with money.  Who would pay whom? Companies that have contributed in any way to the slave trade should pay money into a managed fund (the model worked on by Johnny Cochran before he passed) and that fund be used to start a perpetual fellowship that could be used to focus on the lingering inequalities that face us..some of which I mentioned above.

It's not really that complicated.  Besides, if they could go through the complicated logistics involved in the trade of human beings, they can find a way to make this work!