Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Home Ownership and Wealth Building  (Read 112313 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Home Ownership and Wealth Building
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2005, 03:42:50 PM »
I'm not saying that we don't...but I'm also a Realist...

who is "we".. are you stereotyping again?!?   ;)

I know we all do, and I know you are being a realist, and I know Ive probably wasted your time, but I like talking to you guys and.. I like ragging and getting ragged on.. all good times!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2005, 03:46:49 PM »
Well.. I re-read it.. and I dont agree entirely.. especially about your analysis of what constitutes stereotyping and extrapolation.. Im sure the KKK could come up with some extrapolations we would all find ridiculous.. For the most part, however, I think we are agreed.. I guess..

No one has ever said polls are an exact science--just that they are not the same thing as stereotypes.  

Everyone knows that figures and polls can be manipulated to say what people want them to say, but if removing personal experience as a basis for opinion is the correct thing to do because nothing can ever be sufficiently independently verifiable, well, then, I need to move to a new planet...

My point was that polls can be used to stereotype.. not that they are the same thing..  Saying that extrapolating from a poll frees you from the possibility of stereotyping is inaccurate.. (again, this is in my opinion)

You HIT the nail on the head!  Personal experience as a basis for OPINION.. and you are using your OPINION to classify an entire group of people.. Which, although I am alone here, I dont think is fair... Again.. that is the ONLY thing I take issue with in your post..

Polls free us from nothing but the lack of knowledge about those polled.

But let's talk about personal experience and classifying groups.

Lets take a different context: It is my opinion that there are many people in the world against the war in Iraq--it is based on personal experience (with a number of people considerably smaller than "the world" itself, obviously).  Am I wrong?  Am I unjustly classifying an entire group of people?

What about this:  Most hispanic people in the world speak Spanish (though they may speak other languages as well).  This opinion is based on my personal experience.  Am I wrong?

Lots of cats have four legs. This is an opinion based on personal experience. I have not seen all the cats in the world, in fact, I'm sure that some are born with only 3 or 2, or even none--I even once knew a three-legged cat personally--but based on personal experience I think it's pretty safe to say that lots of cats four legs, maybe even most.  Am I unjustly classifying cats based on my personal experience?

Obviously, people are more complex than cats, but the question remains: When is it unjustly classifying, and when is it empirically feasible for you?

Your request NOT to base my opinion on my personal experience is to ask me to have no opinion at all (given that having an opinion based on stereotypes spouted off by other people is not an option).

But here's the thing:  There's nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Besides, if you want to talk stereotypes and assumptions, here's one for you: I'm female.  I just haven't bothered correcting anyone until this point.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2005, 03:49:29 PM »

Listen.. you keep putting words in my mouth.. and most of your comparisons are completely unfair.. there is nothing wrong with having an opinion.. I never contended otherwise..

Guess what.. Im a female too..

jokes, just jokes.. thats a GREAT comeback though.. I'd say I've been defeated here.. and, I am aware that all of you realize the dangers of stereotyping so really its a moot point.. Formulate all the opinions you want.. I just dont think one should classify a group of people using unsubstantiated opinions.. CATS mostly have four legs, People in Spain mostly speak spanish.. These are opinions/facts backed up by a wealth of data.. Your assertion, however, has no data to back it up.. Thats the difference..

ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2005, 03:52:11 PM »
u haven't wasted my time.. it's cool :)

I'm not saying that we don't...but I'm also a Realist...

who is "we".. are you stereotyping again?!?   ;)

I know we all do, and I know you are being a realist, and I know Ive probably wasted your time, but I like talking to you guys and.. I like ragging and getting ragged on.. all good times!
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2005, 04:31:11 PM »
On another note.  I watched a documentary at lunch today (African American group at work)about Rosa Parks and the Bus Boycotts.  It had actual footage from the period.  It was great.  I really did not realize the role that many white people played in keeping the movement alive.  Rosa Parks employers ( a white couple) sponsored her to go on a retreat to publicize the movement.  They contributed their car to be used to take people around (their home was subsequently bombed ofcourse). There was a prominent white preacher of that got his congregation to sign on to the boycott and spread the word among the other preachers to do the same. People from around the country were sending shoes to Alabama since many people were walking 10 miles per day...It was crazy though.  They showed Martin Luther King make his very FIRST speech as the movement was gathering speed.  My favorite quote from the documentary: "they thought that blacks would quit the bus boycott on the first day of heavy rains!", then they showed blacks skipping laughingly through the streets as the rain poured down!
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2005, 04:34:49 PM »

Your assertion, however, has no data to back it up.. Thats the difference..

Ah, but it does--you merely question the depth of my sample.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2005, 04:39:26 PM »
On another note.  I watched a documentary at lunch today (African American group at work)about Rosa Parks and the Bus Boycotts.  It had actual footage from the period.  It was great.  I really did not realize the role that many white people played in keeping the movement alive.  Rosa Parks employers ( a white couple) sponsored her to go on a retreat to publicize the movement.  They contributed their car to be used to take people around (their home was subsequently bombed ofcourse). There was a prominent white preacher of that got his congregation to sign on to the boycott and spread the word among the other preachers to do the same. People from around the country were sending shoes to Alabama since many people were walking 10 miles per day...It was crazy though.  They showed Martin Luther King make his very FIRST speech as the movement was gathering speed.  My favorite quote from the documentary: "they thought that blacks would quit the bus boycott on the first day of heavy rains!", then they showed blacks skipping laughingly through the streets as the rain poured down!

See, that's neat--I would love to work at a place where you learned about history and important events during lunch... I work for the County--all we learn is how to eat... (And boy do County people eat!  I swear there's a party like every two weeks--and excuse for a cake...)

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »

Sounds very interesting. I've talked to my Mom about the time period, she was in HS in Miami, FL and her HS had just integrated while she was there. It affected her so much that her top choice for undergrad became Ole Miss because she wanted to participate in the Civil Rights movement going on full-scale there. She was accepted and planned to attend, but unfortunately her father said he wouldn't pay the tuition  :-[ When she told me that story I found a new respect for my mom.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2005, 01:34:54 AM »
Hey, I will preface with saying I haven't read all of the thread...

BUT I have *major* financial issues and am hoping folks who frequent the wealth-building thread can help a sista out.

So, I just got back home from Ireland and have a lot of random mail waiting on me.  One letter, dated 11/21/2004, is from some random collection agency called "Credit Collection Services" saying that I've been turned over by "Labcorp" for a payment of $81.00.  I'm not entirely sure what Labcorp is.  I go to their website, type in my account number with them, and it shows they found my file and that I owe $0.00.  I have obviously not paid anything.  Does anyone know what this could be about?  What should I do?  I'm calling tomorrow, but I just want to make sure this is not on my credit report.

I said *major* so obviously that is just the tip of the iceberg, but the above is a start.  I am freaking about finances right now and would really appreciate some input! *THANKS* :-\

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2005, 05:58:57 AM »
Hey, I will preface with saying I haven't read all of the thread...

BUT I have *major* financial issues and am hoping folks who frequent the wealth-building thread can help a sista out.

So, I just got back home from Ireland and have a lot of random mail waiting on me.  One letter, dated 11/21/2004, is from some random collection agency called "Credit Collection Services" saying that I've been turned over by "Labcorp" for a payment of $81.00.  I'm not entirely sure what Labcorp is.  I go to their website, type in my account number with them, and it shows they found my file and that I owe $0.00.  I have obviously not paid anything.  Does anyone know what this could be about?  What should I do?  I'm calling tomorrow, but I just want to make sure this is not on my credit report.

I said *major* so obviously that is just the tip of the iceberg, but the above is a start.  I am freaking about finances right now and would really appreciate some input! *THANKS* :-\

welcome back! 
do you know what the charge is from?  write a mean nasty note to the original collection agency--usually they are so impressed that you write them that they'll credit you.