Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would you have done differently with your applications?  (Read 2277 times)

lawschoolfeign

• Sr. Citizen
  • What is Impossible for man is Possible for God
    • View Profile
Re: What would you have done differently with your applications?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 05:20:07 PM »
Like almost everyone else...the LSAT.  Definitely would have taken it more seriously.  I know some people study for that thing like a full time job, wish I woulda been one of those people.

Also, would definitely have been more strategic in choosing the schools I applied to.  I started off with a list of about 10 and ended up applying to 20!  I applied to schools I knew I wouldn't attend because I was afraid I wouldn't get in anywhere, and I applied to schools that I had absolutely no shot gettin into (well I was waitlisted at a few dream schools so u should def reach for the stars, but limit the number)

Anyway, give the LSAT the time it deserves and choose your schools wisely.
U Mich 1L

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 05:55:14 PM »
I would have sent them in on time. Don't be like me!

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 10:38:40 AM »
First, I would have taken the June LSAT so that when it came down to retesting, I could have done it in October and still hit the early admissions deadlines.  I honestly believe that if I had submitted all my apps by early November, I would have gotten into at least 1 or 2 of the schools that WL/rejected me. 

Second, I would have trusted my own instincts about my qualifications instead of letting LSD psyche me out.  When I started the law school admissions process, I believed I could get into at least one T14 school on the strength of my work experience and writing ability.  But after a couple months on LSD, I doubted whether or not I could even make it into any Tier 1 school - so I applied to 15 schools, half of which went completely out the window the second I got accepted to Northwestern in February.  I don't regret applying to 15 schools, I just wish I would have set my sights a little higher and spent that application money on a couple other T14 schools instead of places like OSU, Indiana, Wake, etc.

I also believe that my lack of solid LOR hurt me at the schools where I was rejected/WL'd.  I had 1 from a professor I barely knew and hadn't talked to in 5 years, another from my neighbor who happened to be a math professor at Penn State, and one from a guy I worked with 10 years ago in college.  I don't know what I could have changed about this though, because I couldn't announce my law school plans to anyone at work so far in advance, and this is the only job I've had since graduating from college 6 years ago.  I really needed some solid LOR from my professional colleagues who have known me for the past few years, but unfortunately it was out of the question.   

NY423C

• I find this pic much better looking than myself
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 03:41:38 PM »
I hear you burghblast.  I would have never let LSD posters influence my decisions and would have relied more on my gut instincts. 

I also would have cancelled my LSAT score and rataken it.  But, I made the mistake of taking the Feb LSAT (like I said in an earlier post).  I had to either take the score or wait another year.  If you feel you bombed a section, don't sweat it.  I bombed my first one and it psyched me out.  Turned out to be the ungraded portion.  And, well, I worried about it so much that I only finished two of the four reading comps.  No excuses though...it's the name of the game. 
Accepted:  Villanova ($14,000/yr), Temple ($7,500/yr), Uconn, St. John's ($25,000/yr)

Rejected:  Fordham, Upenn (such is life)

Waitlisted:  Washington and Lee

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ny423c

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2005, 01:37:46 PM »
more time on the lsat...but then again, if you dont score a 180 i think everyone will have the same advice...other than that i would have sent my apps in a little earlier (no the last day) AND lastly, i would have applied to more "reaches"...u honestly never know with the app process and that maybe some of the TOP schools might have a need for a student similar to urself. dont sell urself short and apply to all ur "dream schools" with realistic expectations of course, but you wont have that regret of not applying at all...
UCLA 1L.

kristay

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »
Although I am very happy with the outcome of this whole process, had I known then what I know now...I would not have taken Kaplan and done testmasters instead and I would not have applied to a few schools that I threw in that gave me fee waivers.  That said, I couldn't be happier with where I am going....all a higher LSAT would have done for me would be to make me a little less paranoid about not getting in anywhere...

eloisa

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »
I would have applied earlier (and taken the LSAT earlier than February).  I could have gotten a nice fellowship offer from my top choice school if only my application had been complete earlier... I was told as much by their admissions office.  *sigh*