Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would you have done differently with your applications?  (Read 2249 times)

NY423C

• I find this pic much better looking than myself
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would you have done differently with your applications?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 09:30:24 AM »
I would have taken the LSAT earlier and prepped a little more.  Not that I think my score's bad, but like everyone, I know it could have been better.  Then I would have taken that score, done some research, and applied to more schools in Tier 1 and upper Tier 2.  I regret that I only have a few safety schools to choose from.
Accepted:  Villanova ($14,000/yr), Temple ($7,500/yr), Uconn, St. John's ($25,000/yr)

Rejected:  Fordham, Upenn (such is life)

Waitlisted:  Washington and Lee

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ny423c

littletanuki

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »
I would have switched my LSAT test date from Oct to Dec!  I prepped the first time, but my prep before the second test was more directed and more inline with realistic testing conditions.  My score jumped 9 points the second time around. It infuriates me that had forgone the Oct test and just taken the Dec. one instead, I'd probably have at least some acceptances from my reach schools instead of all waitlists!  eh, whatcha gonna do, right?  :)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 06:21:44 PM »
I would have not retaken the LSAT only to score only one point higher, and would have accepted my limitations regarding the test once I had practiced for months and had peaked. I obsessed over it way too much, and it didn't do me any good. I would have benefitted from some more emotional distance. The day I got my October score, I ammended my addendum to make it more convincing, more confident, more relevant to my new situation, printed out my essays, attached my recommendations, and went to the post office to send in my app. Knowing this was it, that I had to send it off no matter what provoked me to write what I believe was a strong addendum, and I wish I had applied that distance and focus earlier, to my LSAT prep. I think my essays were the best that I could do. I feel very lucky indeed with how this app cycle has gone for me, so I don't regret anything as such. I only hope I have learned from my mistakes.

where2g0

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 11:36:38 PM »
I would have officially changed my name to:  Shaneequa Rodriquez-Chang

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 12:33:41 AM »
same with everyone else, mostly - lsat. i also would have quit my job and worked as a paralegal or something law-related for a year and that way had more time to study for the lsat and gotten a good add'l recommendation. i even should have done all that after applying for the first time and deciding not to go, but i wasn't ready to give up my job and i thought i could have the best of both worlds. i should have put my all into it - working 70 hours a week definitely prevented me from doing the best i could have on my applications, but in general i feel good about everything except my lsat score. not complaining at all about the schools i've gotten into, but i do wish i had a few more options.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 01:03:46 AM »
I would have officially changed my name to:  Shaneequa Rodriquez-Chang

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

chang wouldn't help you much.

now: Shaneequa Rodriquez-Sitting Bull, that would open some doors. ;)
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »
 :D

davisxa

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sue first; ask question later.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 04:04:07 AM »
APPLY EARLY

And don't rush the personal statement. In fact, write several, on completely different themes, and when the time comes, choose your favorites and send them off. Then, after you've sent off your app, send the ad com a letter addressing specifically why you want to attend that particular school. GET ALL THIS DONE EARLY. Then spend December and January applying for financial aid and every scholarship you can get your grubby little hands on.

Good luck.
_____________________________ _____________________
3.46/170
In: U. Penn. (45k/3), Cornell(47k/3), Georgetown (66k/3), Northeastern (69k/3)
WL: NYU
"reserve"(?): Columbia
Rejected: Boalt, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=davisxa

: (

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 10:18:19 AM »
I would have applied to more schools in the 20-40 range.  I assumed that because my friend got into U Chicago with a 164 and a mediocre GPA that I'd have a shot at a T14... Now I realize that he got in entirely due to the "diversity factor" (he's Cuban, of wealthy white European stock.. hardly an oppressed minority, but oh well).

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 10:19:13 AM »
1)Concentrate on the LSAT less; I would not have wasted my money on the Kaplan class.  The class did not help me at all.  I took the LSAT in 2003, but then never applied to any schools.  So when I decided to apply for this year I also decided to try to get a better LSAT by taking the Kaplan class--- no help there, my score stayed the same and I put waaaayyyy too much time into stressing about why I couldn't get a better score.
2)Call the schools more often after my application had been received and send them more specific letters after they had talked to me on the phone.  Basically, do everything possible to get my name stuck into everyone's head in the admit office.  It's better they recognize and remember you b/c you're a pain the a$% than to not have a clue who you are besides your piece of paper with typing and your name on it.