Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Got off waitlist ---> defer?  (Read 725 times)

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
Got off waitlist ---> defer?
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »
i jus got off the waitlist for a school. but there is a factor that has come up since applying that will cause me to defer.

will the school let me defer despite coming off WL?

i also have a scholarship that's pretty substantial. will they let me keep it????

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Got off waitlist ---> defer?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 09:33:48 PM »
many schools don't allow applicants who come off the waitlist to defer.  definitely give them a call soon, especially if you have truly extenuating circumstances.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:57:08 PM »
It can't hurt to ask.  If you explain your situation well they might let you defer though schools supposedly don't like it when admits off the waitlist defer.  I have no idea what would happen with your scholarship.  Let us know what happens.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:30:45 PM »
Although they do not usually allow waitlist admits to defer, and although giving out 2 year deferrals is against their policy, they are letting me defer for two years. =)

i will not be able to keep my scholarship, although they said that they will reevaluate the case for merit scholarship in spring of 2007 (i would enter in fall 2007) and "make their best efforts in matching" the current scholarship.

so all in all, a good deal.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 06:00:35 PM »
Although they do not usually allow waitlist admits to defer, and although giving out 2 year deferrals is against their policy, they are letting me defer for two years. =)

i will not be able to keep my scholarship, although they said that they will reevaluate the case for merit scholarship in spring of 2007 (i would enter in fall 2007) and "make their best efforts in matching" the current scholarship.

They must love you.

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »

They must love you.

loved me so much that they waitlisted me..... i had a damn good reason to defer ;)