Law School Discussion

www.lsat-secrets.com???

www.lsat-secrets.com???
« on: May 30, 2004, 10:25:58 AM »
I just found out about this site recently and it impressed me much. They seem to have something that looks good, but I should ask you all on your experiences with this prep helper.

thoughts on it?

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: www.lsat-secrets.com???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:10:41 PM »
I have read the document being sold on that site, and its value is marginal at best.  If you are consistently scoring below 150 then the techniques described may improve your score, but they are virtually worthless for anyone who is fairly skilled at the LSAT.  They provide very little information on how to approach various types of problems and solve them; instead they give you "rules" that are often not rules at all, but merely tendancies (for example, usually the answer to a reading comprehension will not be a direct quote from the passage)

Worse, some of the suggestions are downright dangerous.  They say that once you have narrowed down to a couple of choices, if you cannot decide between the remaining answers always pick the first one.  Their logic is that test takers often guess the correct-sounding-but-actually-wrong answer that the LSAT writers planted, so a completely random answer ensures that you will not be misled.  While this makes some amount of sense, you should make sure to emperically verify this for yourself: take a practice LSAT and mark the questions on which you are making a guess, determine whether you would have scored better by going with the guess you made, or by using the first choice strategy that the authors recommend.

Finally, the book is extremely light on content and stuffed with extraneous filler.  The PDF file is 102 pages long.  It contains 8 pages of reading comprehension suggestions, 5 pages of analytical reasoning, 7 pages of logical reasoning, 6 pages on writing, and FIFTEEN pages on "Overcoming your Fear of Math".  I think it should go without saying that math is not even tested on the LSAT, and so the 3 pages they devote to the Pappas Method of overcoming your fear of math will be wasted.

Bottom line: Don't waste your money on this book.