Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American V. Tulane, I need some help here..  (Read 9023 times)

sorority girl

• View Profile
Re: American V. Tulane, I need some help here..
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 03:51:11 PM »
I'm deciding between Fordham and Tulane.  I visited Tulane last week and I liked it.  Their international programs seem great, and they seem to emphasize it as a strength.  They have really good study abroad programs.  The student body seemed to be really happy overall, and the area around the school is so pretty. 

I would personally choose Tulane over American. I visited the DC law schools in December and it was my least favorite.  But, I don't think that you can go wrong in this decision.  Go with whichever school you could see yourself more as a student there... all of the other stuff (in this case) is pretty irrelevant.

But, my guess is that Tulane's placement overall is better than American's.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2005, 09:22:35 AM »
For crying out loud.. please go to Tulane.. its a great school.. YOU CAN work in D.C... and ladies/men (not sure what sex you are) will dig it much more than if you go to the 4th best school in D.C... And, American's location and facilities suck ass.. Ive told you before, this would be a no-brainer for me.. Tulane is a great, great place.. I mean, where do you really want to spend the next three years of your life.. You could go somewhere surrounded by driven, over-the-top, all or nothing personalities (everyone in D.C. seems like this to me)... or a chilled out, amazing music scene, great place to let off steam when not studying, crazy undergrads, place like Tulane.. and the houses around tulane are also GREAT (you'd get to live in a sweet, sweet little shotgun).. In D.C. you'd get to live in a shack the size of a hospital room!

Go to Tulane.. PLEASE..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2005, 12:33:30 PM »
I got into both of these schools and didn't wrestle with this for a second, even though I live in DC and have a girlfriend here--
NO!!!
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

AndyJay

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2005, 12:30:15 AM »
I also was accepted to both Tulane and American. Although I'm also waitlisted at Cornell (or at least some sort of neutral zone "reserve" status). Anyway, I decided on Tulane, but it wasn't as clear cut as the others on this list. I went to U Texas for undergrad (i'm not sure why you seem to dislike Texas so much, it's a great place, even for us yankees). I grew up in Michigan and live in Chicago, and I know very little about New Orleans beyond Jazz Fest and "Confederacy of Dunces". But I visited recently and it is a beautiful place. The school's reputation is strong and they are able to launch grads as to whatever corner of the country (and beyond) that they want. That's important to me because I have no idea where I want to live when I graduate, and it will probably not be Louisiana. There are two strong points in American's favor; the legal research/writing program and the proximity to good internships and happenings in DC. American's LR and W program is really top notch (i've been told), and as a fundamentals law course, this is a good thing to take advantage of. Also, DC has more law-friendly stuff going on, with politics, associations, other law schools holding events, plus the fact that you are in Rome at the height of the empire.

Despite this, I'm still going to Tulane because I think that overall it is a better opportunity in the short and long term. It seems like there are a lot of people on this site that are deciding between American and Tulane, which indicates that the two are probably more alike than they are different.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

-Andy

Arduous decision

• Tell him sorry, I had to go see about a girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2005, 10:39:41 AM »
I was choosing between Tulane and Richmond, both with scholarship money. Even though Tulane is ranked significantly higher and has a more national name, I talked to two Admissions Deans at other schools and several hiring lawyers who all said that they were equal.  Their exact words were something along the lines of "when you are comparing two schools that are not in the Top 14, you are splitting hairs." Therefore, it boiled down to geography, and I decided on staying in Virginia, because everybody seems to think you should attend closer to where you want to practice. Pretty much everybody I talk to seems to think that if you go to Tulane you will have national opportunities if your grades are good (same with Richmond or American) but you are more likely to stay in the Southeast.

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
I go to American, so I could be a bit biased -- and I don't know much about Tulane -- but I can address your criticism of AU. 

I think calling it 4th best is a definite mistake.  Yes, GM ranks slightly better -- but when you talk to attorneys around the city, especially ones older than 30, they see GM as a commuter school that shouldn't be taken seriously.  It's going to take a while for GM's reputation to match its ranking. 

I'm about to start my 1L summer and my friends and I haven't had much difficulty finding great summer internships -- people around DC love AU and there are a lot of alumni.  I know of 1Ls getting internships in just about every government agency, the world bank, the EU, ACLU, tons of non-profits and more law firms than I can name.  I know lots of 3ls that are going into BigLaw in DC now that they're graduating.

It's true there are slightly more girls than guys -- but no complaints here.   

The only thing I don't like about the school is it's not near a metro stop. 

I generally agree with your assessment of GMU. It's only marginally better ranked than American, although I don't think it's seen so much as a commuter school anymore. But that was the case just a few years ago...The general counsel at my office told me when she applied to LS (about 12 years ago), GMU was in the 4th tier and she didn't even bother applying.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2005, 11:14:12 AM »
Bad things about Tulane:
humitity is out of control
high property theft 'don't be suprised if yr car gets stolen'
the career office told me that most of the people that get jobs in the NE have 'personal ties' or are in top of class
Isn't that true of any law school?  If you want a job somewhere, and you know somebody who can help (like, I don't know, a hiring partner), throw every placement statistic out the window.  You can get a job anywhere you want.

blindmouse

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2005, 09:15:45 PM »
I live in Arizona and when I talked to the career services lady at Tulane about opportunties in DC she said that basicly it would be hard to convince employers that even though i'm from the west, and went to law school in the south, where I really want to work is in the north. she said that it isn't impossible, but hardly easy. When I told her that I was also considering American she looked a little uncomfortable-like 'oh god the addmissions people are going to kill me' kinda look. Originaly I was pretty set on Tulane but that conversation made me really think twice about where I want to be after school.

carioca121

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2005, 01:29:55 AM »
My thoughts on this matter...from the California perspective, neither school has a significantly stronger rep.  If anything I would think that American's rep is stronger.  If you already know that you do not want to end up in Louisiana or New Orleans, and that 80% of law school grads get their first job in the city they go to law school in, it seems silly to me to spend 3 yrs. of your life in New Orleans.

DC seems like a much more dynamic city to me than New Orleans (don't get me wrong my mom's from the south...Morgan City, LA all the way, but Louisiana is pretty back woods at the end of the day).

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2005, 10:07:54 AM »
I live in Arizona and when I talked to the career services lady at Tulane about opportunties in DC she said that basicly it would be hard to convince employers that even though i'm from the west, and went to law school in the south, where I really want to work is in the north. she said that it isn't impossible, but hardly easy. When I told her that I was also considering American she looked a little uncomfortable-like 'oh god the addmissions people are going to kill me' kinda look. Originaly I was pretty set on Tulane but that conversation made me really think twice about where I want to be after school.

Methinks you work for the American admissions people... ;)