Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American V. Tulane, I need some help here..  (Read 9061 times)

blindmouse

• View Profile
Re: American V. Tulane, I need some help here..
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »
Ohhhhh nope this guy is the one on the waitlist at Tulane who keeps calling everybody on this board a retard. Gee maybe I should go to Tulane so that we could have class together. And then I will laugh when you tell me your car got stolen.

I know that some other people are trying to make this decision even though the schools are so different.
Bad things about Tulane:
humitity is out of control
high property theft 'don't be suprised if yr car gets stolen'
the career office told me that most of the people that get jobs in the NE have 'personal ties' or are in top of class

let me know what you guys think

There is little chance that someone of your retarded status will end up in the top of the class.  Anyone who is surprised that a car may be stolen in a city or who is concerned by the 'humidity' is a fu.cktard who needs to grow up and deal.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 10:09:33 PM »
Tulane.. without a doubt..

American is like the 4th or 5th best law school in dis place i live called D.C...

D.C. sucks!
NOLA is badass..

ummmm.. and a Tulane degree can get you anywhere that one from American can..

dont even hesitate.. go to Tulane.. you wont regret it.. (best 4.5 years of my life!)
hoping Athens will treat me as well as NOLA.. (NOLA is the "hip" way to say new orleans, LA)..

ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2005, 02:25:10 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure that I could handle being 'fourth best' at American.
If I went to Tulane I think it would be hard to get any jobs at all in DC or NYC. I could handle Atlanta, but i'm not so hot on the south.

Tulane actually does pretty well in both D.C. and NYC.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2005, 02:33:07 AM »
Alright let me ask this, which school is more respected in the legal community?

I would say Tulane.  The name is just more well-known, I think.

Plus, it was featured in "The Pelican Brief".  Very prestigious.

weinmatt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 02:42:29 AM »
I'm goin to au in the fall so heres what i have to say about this: If you want to stay in DC, come to AU.

In my opinion, its the third best school in the area behind Gtown and GW. I have talked to several well respected attorneys, and one in particular who is a recruiter for his BIGLAW firm, and he said that AU grads are always more distinguished than GMU or UMD grads.

At this point, according to the new rankings (and further proving their worthlessness), American, UMD and GMU are all now clustered at 41 with American is alone at 47.

But it all boils down to what you want in a school. I've read about people's experiences at the admit day Friday, and I have to say, the things that people cited such as a "less competitive atmosphere"... it seems like the environment at American is much more about learning and expanding your knowledge than who can get the best grades (especially that great part about no mandatory curve). I've been there for 4 years as an engineering major at UMD, its not fun.

All the people on this board are so focused on BIGLAW and BIG starting salaries. Its not what happens when you get your first job its what you do with your degree. Make or break a couple big cases, and you'll be set for life.

Good luck on your choice. Maybe I'll see you there in the fall.

blindmouse

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 06:37:22 PM »
wait a second, YOU got into Tulane too. Why are you going to UGA instead?

Tulane.. without a doubt..

American is like the 4th or 5th best law school in dis place i live called D.C...

D.C. sucks!
NOLA is badass..

ummmm.. and a Tulane degree can get you anywhere that one from American can..

dont even hesitate.. go to Tulane.. you wont regret it.. (best 4.5 years of my life!)
hoping Athens will treat me as well as NOLA.. (NOLA is the "hip" way to say new orleans, LA)..

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 09:05:22 PM »
I went to Tulane undergrad... Even with a 15k/yr. scholarship UGA is cheaper and is consistently ranked higher.. UGA has a huge legal market in Atlanta only an hour away... and, I think I'd enjoy living in Athens for the next three years.

But, I put a deposit down on all of my acceptances so that may change.. but its highly unlikely.. Having said that, if I had to choose between American and Tulane it would be a no-brainer!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 01:14:45 AM »
I went to Tulane undergrad... Even with a 15k/yr. scholarship UGA is cheaper and is consistently ranked higher.. UGA has a huge legal market in Atlanta only an hour away... and, I think I'd enjoy living in Athens for the next three years.

But, I put a deposit down on all of my acceptances so that may change.. but its highly unlikely.. Having said that, if I had to choose between American and Tulane it would be a no-brainer!

I can certainly understand wanting a change, and I'm sure you're right about the rankings and Atlanta placement. In other words, I'm sure it's the right choice for you. However, I'll just note that I think Tulane's national rep is actually somewhat stronger, whether or not it "deserves" to be. 

kristay

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 01:24:46 AM »
Although I didn't choose either, I would have picked Tulane over American (withdrew from American before Tulane...it was never really a consideration with Tulane in the picture) b/c of it has a national reputation whereas American's is very regional.

blindmouse

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »
I want to go into international law. American is ranked 5th and Tulane is ranked 17th for this.

I think I want to live in DC after I graduate.

The more I think about it, it seems silly not to go to American. But someting is pulling me to Tulane.

What do you think? Does the national rep of tulane make up for it?