Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone hear from PEPPERDINE?  (Read 524 times)

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone hear from PEPPERDINE?
« on: April 27, 2005, 05:39:31 PM »
Has anyone heard from Pepperdine?

I applied there just prior to the deadline on March 1st, having taken my LSAT in FEB. I am curious to know whether or not they send out their accepted/rejected letters all at the same time.

LSAT=163
GPA=3.39 NYU CAS.

Thank you.

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone hear from PEPPERDINE?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:07:22 PM »
I'm virtually the same as you.  Same LSAT and a little lower GPA.  I also applied on about Feb. 27th with a Feb. LSAT.  I think they are just slow, they didn't even request my LSAC report until 3/21.  I called last Tuesday and they said I was still waiting for a review and that I could expect an answer in the next 4 to 5 weeks!  We both have pretty good odds so I don't know why its taking so long.

P.S.  Loyola (los angeles) is lagging too.
163, 2.9
Attending: USD

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 01:25:14 PM »
Hi RM5400:

I don't know about our chances. 

As much as I have read about the determental aspects of applying late to schools, I think its worse then I could have ever invisioned. I got waitlisted by U. Miami and my LSAT is about 5 points higher then their 75th percentile.  I'm already in at the school I want to go to and don't anticipate getting into Loyola or Pepperdine.   If you apply as late as we have (which by the way was no fault of my own, other then the fact i decided to persue law school in october) you have to get probably 10 points higher then the 74th percentile of the the school and about a .4 higher GPA then the 75th percentile of accepted range. 

Sucks but thats life.

LSAT=163
GPA=3.39 NYU CAS (PoliSci/Philosophy Majors)

elemnopee

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 01:29:11 PM »

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 01:44:16 PM »
No I haven't.

Just checked it out however and dont see any real benefit to it.

Is there something in particular thats relevent to applying late that I should check out? 

I'd rather look at pics of Lindsey Lohan right now.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:46:31 PM »

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 02:37:09 PM »
Hi RM5400:

I don't know about our chances. 

As much as I have read about the determental aspects of applying late to schools, I think its worse then I could have ever invisioned. I got waitlisted by U. Miami and my LSAT is about 5 points higher then their 75th percentile.  I'm already in at the school I want to go to and don't anticipate getting into Loyola or Pepperdine.   If you apply as late as we have (which by the way was no fault of my own, other then the fact i decided to persue law school in october) you have to get probably 10 points higher then the 74th percentile of the the school and about a .4 higher GPA then the 75th percentile of accepted range. 

Sucks but thats life.

LSAT=163
GPA=3.39 NYU CAS (PoliSci/Philosophy Majors)

F650GS,

I don't know, I don't think its time to throw in the towel just yet.  I too applied late because I only made my final decision at Thanksgiving ('04).  However, I have gotten in to ASU and USD which are very comparitively ranked to Loyola.  Further more Pepperdine's deadline is a month later than USD and Loyola's so our lateness there should definitely not be that extreme.  I read in Montauk's book that for all the talk of early applications, most schools still recieve 25-35% of their apps. in the last week before the deadline.  Furthermore, I think, particularly at these anklebiter schools (almost tier 1), I think the earliest apps probably come mostly from people who are borderline anyway, thats why they are motivated so early.  I don't deny that early helps, but I think its exagerrated by the schools so that they can space out the process.  I just think 10 pts above the 75th is extreme, as is evidenced by me getting into other places.  It just wouldn't make sense, judging by the current ratio of acceptances to pendings on LSN, that schools would reject pretty strong candidates just because the applied at the tail end of the process.

This is what waiting lists and holds are for.  Schools put shaky candidates on them until they are sure they've milked the entire applicant pool, then they start accepting others. 

BTW, you might want to check out Chiashu.com.  There is a LSAT/GPA calculator that gives you a rough estimate of your chances at each school.  According to that, we have 70-85% chance for Pepperdine.  I can't imagine they would flat out reject us just for being a little late.
163, 2.9
Attending: USD

Boehmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 02:45:59 PM »
The point of using LSN is to see if people who applied around the same time as you have heard anything back yet.  Unfortunently, there aren't may users on LSN who applied to Pepperdine, especially towards the end of the cycle.  I'd say just keep waiting or you could give them a call.  I can't believe it's almost May and the number of people that are still waiting on decisions.
LSAT: 164 CGPA: 3.68 LSN
Accepted: CU, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: Pepperdine, USC (Deferred: ED)
Rejected: UCLA