Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pumping Iron  (Read 11443 times)

nathanielmark

Re: Pumping Iron
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2004, 11:03:28 AM »
no, i said you were talking out your ass.  that is not a personal attack.  talking out your ass means you are saying things that are without merit in context to the question at hand.  i then went on to explain why your statements were without merit.  thus, it was not a personal attack.

rathpa

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2004, 11:30:20 AM »
no, i said you were talking out your ass.  that is not a personal attack.  talking out your ass means you are saying things that are without merit in context to the question at hand.  i then went on to explain why your statements were without merit.  thus, it was not a personal attack.

haha ya... i'll give you that.  i was just messing around.  but anyway, my only point in all this was that if you want a muscular workout with a cardio workout, you should do sprinting as well.  and if you look at sprinters, they have the leanest bodies out there and also have the lean 'cut' look that many avid body builders don't have. 

but i think you are off base in suggesting that cardio routines should not be included in a workout regimen to strictly gain muscle.  including cardio (especially before a long reigmen of weight lifting) will not only burn fat that is over the muscles (to give the 'cut' look), it will also increase your heart rate and help in the heavy lifting that is to come.  my personal experience is that with proper nutrition, i am able to get more out of my workouts (less fatigue, more gains) by including cardio in order to stretch and get my muscles 'hyped' (for lack of a better term) before i start working out.   key to all this is to get as much protein i can and eating carbs before i work out to get the energy to be able to push out the last sets.

but your right, to each their own - what works for me might not be universal.

nathanielmark

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2004, 11:39:35 AM »
i understand your point.  i am just saying that there are people out there (the very skinny types) who will have a very very difficult time adding muscle mass.  if you read the OPs first few responses you will see that he seems to fall into that category.  for those people (who do not represent the typical individual) it would be best to avoid cardio until they gain the muscle mass they are seeking.

for most people, cardio will not greatly detract from adding muscle mass.

haha ya... i'll give you that.  i was just messing around.  but anyway, my only point in all this was that if you want a muscular workout with a cardio workout, you should do sprinting as well.  and if you look at sprinters, they have the leanest bodies out there and also have the lean 'cut' look that many avid body builders don't have. 

but i think you are off base in suggesting that cardio routines should not be included in a workout regimen to strictly gain muscle.  including cardio (especially before a long reigmen of weight lifting) will not only burn fat that is over the muscles (to give the 'cut' look), it will also increase your heart rate and help in the heavy lifting that is to come.  my personal experience is that with proper nutrition, i am able to get more out of my workouts (less fatigue, more gains) by including cardio in order to stretch and get my muscles 'hyped' (for lack of a better term) before i start working out.   key to all this is to get as much protein i can and eating carbs before i work out to get the energy to be able to push out the last sets.

but your right, to each their own - what works for me might not be universal.

NYBound05

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2004, 02:20:02 PM »
I stand by what I previously said that thechoson should read up on the topic himself to get the most accurate response.

I would also refrain from calling people on this board "ill-informed" when it comes to weight training, and claiming all advice that has been given is "bad" with the exception of yours.  There is no one solid answer as to how an individual should most effectively gain muscle mass with cardio in mind.  Why?  Because every BODY is different, and despite what has been said, you can't just group someone who claims they're lean with all other people who have a fast metabolism. 

Therefore, like I said, I would advise him to read up on the subject, try a routine and see how it works best with HIS body type, and stick with that.  We have all given our OPINION (because face it, that's all it is), and so he can pick and choose from what he wants to try. Although we all work out, none of us are trained, licensed professionals on the subject, so stay off the high horse and stop acting like you're such an expert and everyone else doesn't know *&^%. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2004, 02:35:42 PM »
you are ill-informed. 

I stand by what I previously said that thechoson should read up on the topic himself to get the most accurate response.

I would also refrain from calling people on this board "ill-informed" when it comes to weight training, and claiming all advice that has been given is "bad" with the exception of yours.  There is no one solid answer as to how an individual should most effectively gain muscle mass with cardio in mind.  Why?  Because every BODY is different, and despite what has been said, you can't just group someone who claims they're lean with all other people who have a fast metabolism. 

Therefore, like I said, I would advise him to read up on the subject, try a routine and see how it works best with HIS body type, and stick with that.  We have all given our OPINION (because face it, that's all it is), and so he can pick and choose from what he wants to try. Although we all work out, none of us are trained, licensed professionals on the subject, so stay off the high horse and stop acting like you're such an expert and everyone else doesn't know *&^%. 

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2004, 02:38:37 PM »
liar!

you are ill-informed. 

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

MrNewYearsEve2005

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2004, 02:41:02 PM »
Im working my back and glutes today.

M2

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2004, 05:53:08 PM »
i understand your point.  i am just saying that there are people out there (the very skinny types) who will have a very very difficult time adding muscle mass.  if you read the OPs first few responses you will see that he seems to fall into that category.  for those people (who do not represent the typical individual) it would be best to avoid cardio until they gain the muscle mass they are seeking.

for most people, cardio will not greatly detract from adding muscle mass.

i can attest to this... I have a very small frame, and I'm about 5'9".
I have been working out 3-5 days per week for the last 18 months. I have gained about 25 pounds (pretty much all muscle), but it hasn't been easy.

I have to consume about 3100 calories per day to even have any hopes of gaining weight, and I  wouldn't ever think of doing any cardio as I would be certain to lose what little fat that I have (a long with some muscle).

The key to gaining if you have a small build  or are "skinny" is
1. Eating
2. Lifting
3. Sleeping
rinse...repeat...

thinknpositive

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »
I've stayed out of this convo long enough.  I can safely say that I am probably the most obsessed DRUG-FREE weight-lifter you'll ever meet.  I've been working out obsessively since the age of 18 and now I'm almost 24. 

The way your body looks has more to do with your diet than your training regimen.  Of course you have to stimulate your muscles.  It goes without saying that you make the most of your workouts, but getting huge/ripped is 90 percent your diet.

Eat 6 times a day.  Eat palm sized portions of proteins and carbs.  Keep your meats lean. Keep your carbs complex.  Stay away from simple carbs except immediately after your workout. 

Eating six whole food meals a day is difficult, so I have 3 EAS myoplex shakes.  They have 42 grams of protein, roughly 22 grams of carbs and only 3 grams of fat.  They're real cheap too, 50 bucks for a 42 pack on www.dpsnutrition.com. Depending on your caloric needs, add 15 ounces of milk if you so desire.  Buy a shaker bottle (3 dollars); blenders are a pain in the ass.

Look, it doesn't matter if you have a small frame, a large frame, or Stephen Hawking's frame.  You will lose weight if you consume less calories than you burn and you will gain weight if you consume more calories than you burn.  The concept is simple, it's just finding the right balance that's difficult.  Sure some of us are limited by small frames, but few of us actually reach our potential.

To sum it up: Keep your diet clean and bust your ass in the gym.  I hate those pussies that do their final rep with ease, if you're not grunting like a woman giving birth by rep 7, you're wasting your time.   

thechoson

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2004, 08:10:25 PM »
I've stayed out of this convo long enough.  I can safely say that I am probably the most obsessed DRUG-FREE weight-lifter you'll ever meet.  I've been working out obsessively since the age of 18 and now I'm almost 24. 

I can see that