Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pumping Iron  (Read 10933 times)

thechoson

Pumping Iron
« on: May 31, 2004, 03:45:11 PM »
Ok, this is a bit off-topic, but I am seriously soliciting advice.

I have a lot of pent up aggression these days.  I want to go kick people's asses, just for no reason.  So, a friend suggested I lift weights.  And it's doing wonders. I started on Friday.  See, the problem is, I can't stop. I pumped iron once on Friday, then twice on Saturday and Sunday.  Yesterday, I was as sore as hell, but I just couldn't stop.  I really want to beat the *&^% out of some people, and this is like a substitute. I have this urge to go pump some iron right now. This isn't good, right?

Anyways, any suggestions on a good weight lifting program would be appreciated.  And maybe some protein powder? Any suggestions on this?  I have  a small appetite, I don't eat enough food, so someone suggested protein.

Thanks!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping Iron
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 03:51:27 PM »
i like to lift too...but my joints are all out of wack because i used to lift 5 days a week several years ago. 

i took up kick boxing and its been doing wonders.  tones you up, mix in 3 days of endurance lifting with it, and it will get you looking like bruce lee in 2 months. 

dont lift too much.  its really not good for your joints.  you can develope arthritis easily...and if you end up hurting yourself at all, itll never go back the same way. 

as for protein, you have metabolism like one of my friends.  i doubt you will be able to gain weight.  he is 5'9, 137...and hes tried everything. 

sometimes, youre just born skinny.  not much you can do...

just be glad you werent meant to be fat. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 03:53:44 PM »
chosen, you are one of the lucky few who are very lean by genetics.  (not that i am a fatty just to set the record straight).

just eat a lot of whatever you want with enough protein (30 grams 4 x day).  you will never get heavy.  just lift 3-4 days a week and you will get ripped.

the soreness is horrible when you first start but it goes away to a point you miss it.  it should go away within a couple weeks.   stick it out, it should help with your anger.

also, try meditating and sex for stress

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »
So, I will look like Bruce Lee, but not Arnold?

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 03:55:48 PM »
i like to lift too...but my joints are all out of wack because i used to lift 5 days a week several years ago. 

i took up kick boxing and its been doing wonders.  tones you up, mix in 3 days of endurance lifting with it, and it will get you looking like bruce lee in 2 months. 

dont lift too much.  its really not good for your joints.  you can develope arthritis easily...and if you end up hurting yourself at all, itll never go back the same way. 

as for protein, you have metabolism like one of my friends.  i doubt you will be able to gain weight.  he is 5'9, 137...and hes tried everything. 

sometimes, youre just born skinny.  not much you can do...

just be glad you werent meant to be fat. 

There is nothing wrong with healthy lifting and cardio.  I lift 3 days a week and do cardio 5x/week.  You can lift if you go about it properly and be sure to stretch, drink water, etc.  Try biking or running to get out even more aggression.  Whey and soy protein are good, natural sources of protein.  Don't buy that crappy processed "muscle building" crap.  A lot of it is fillers and is overly processed.  Set up a schedule for yourself (e.g., arms/shoulders one day, legs one day, chest/back one day).  Beef it up, Cho!
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 03:55:58 PM »
exactly, and you can take your shirt off and jog around town showing off. 

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 03:58:20 PM »
Ok, but really, lookign at my family genes, I doubt I can get BIG. So should i lift with this in mind, and go for cuts (more reps), or should i still try to add size (less reps more weight)?

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 04:05:12 PM »
no, lift to get big.  you will always be cut.  arnold always said "you can't tone bone".

anyway, i would reccomend for someone with your physique to do the following

day 1: bench press, incline press, dips, pull-ups, rows

day 2: shoulder press (in front), side lat raises, barbell curls, close grip bench press (for triceps)

day 3: squats (will help you bulk up more then anything else you do), leg curls, front leg extensions (or substitute leg press)

day 4/5 off

or something similar.  make sure you go as heavy as possible and do 3 sets of each with 8, 6, 4 reps for each set.  remember if you can do more then this amount of reps you will need to add weight.

if you do this and eat as much as you can you will def bulk up.  dont do any cardio until you been doing this workout for 6 months or so (it will keep you from gaining muscle mass).

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »
So, I will look like Bruce Lee, but not Arnold?

both arnold and jesse "the body" took steroids.

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 04:13:56 PM »
no, lift to get big.  you will always be cut.  arnold always said "you can't tone bone".

anyway, i would reccomend for someone with your physique to do the following

day 1: bench press, incline press, dips, pull-ups, rows

day 2: shoulder press (in front), side lat raises, barbell curls, close grip bench press (for triceps)

day 3: squats (will help you bulk up more then anything else you do), leg curls, front leg extensions (or substitute leg press)

day 4/5 off

or something similar.  make sure you go as heavy as possible and do 3 sets of each with 8, 6, 4 reps for each set.  remember if you can do more then this amount of reps you will need to add weight.

if you do this and eat as much as you can you will def bulk up.  dont do any cardio until you been doing this workout for 6 months or so (it will keep you from gaining muscle mass).

I will print this out. This is good stuff.  And no cardio. That makes sense.  Should I maybe add a day of maybe doing high rep, circuit training so I can  some cardio benefit?  Or no cardio at all?  I mean lifting weights does get you in shape anyways