Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAWLESSNESS IN IRAQ AND THE FAILURE OF UNILATERALISM  (Read 3756 times)

jgruber

LAWLESSNESS IN IRAQ AND THE FAILURE OF UNILATERALISM
« on: May 31, 2004, 02:49:31 PM »
JURIST Contributing Editor Professor Ali Khan says that the current lawlessness in post-war Iraq demonstrates that a single superpower cannot unilaterally manage world affairs.

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/forum/forumnew119.php

thechoson

Re: LAWLESSNESS IN IRAQ AND THE FAILURE OF UNILATERALISM
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 02:59:30 PM »
So much for Gilpin's Hegemonic Stability theory

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 03:00:59 PM »
So much for Gilpin's Hegemonic Stability theory

I love the word Hegemony. That's what i wanna name my firstborn. Well, that's not true-i'm not gonna have kids cuz i hate em but that's what i'll make my sister name my first neice. Sorry, carry on
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 03:33:32 PM »
At least someone is thinking about what it means to be the lone surviving super power.  I think it's obvious no one in the white house is.

Ginatio

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 12:22:43 PM »
An interesting side note - Bush is in Colorado today.  He just went down to the Springs for the Air Force Academy's graduation.  While he is down there, he is meeting with James Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family...  makes you wonder who is running the country - Bush or his conservative religious friends.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 12:55:26 PM »
An interesting side note - Bush is in Colorado today.  He just went down to the Springs for the Air Force Academy's graduation.  While he is down there, he is meeting with James Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family...  makes you wonder who is running the country - Bush or his conservative religious friends.

It makes you wonder why James Dobson didn't come to him.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 01:04:52 PM »
Since Focus on the Family is based in Colorado Springs, my bet is that it was just a campaign stop on the way - or that James Dobson is going to the AFA to meet before Bush gives his speech.  From what I have read (it has been in the newspapers a little here), it is to get his conservative base behind him for the election.  Also, Colorado Springs is very right and two of the congresspeople (Musgrave and Allard) who are trying to get the anti-gay marriage amendment passed are from that area.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 11:23:10 AM »
When you have an enitity such as the UN who has profited from a dictatorship such as Iraq and your "allies" such as France who also profited from Iraq...it makes it difficult to be anything but unilateral in your foreign affairs.  Who are you to consult when the world, because of their greed, don't want you to smash their piggy bank?
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 11:25:34 AM »
When you have an enitity such as the UN who has profited from a dictatorship such as Iraq and your "allies" such as France who also profited from Iraq...it makes it difficult to be anything but unilateral in your foreign affairs.  Who are you to consult when the world, because of their greed, don't want you to smash their piggy bank?

Share the blame equally willya?  Who bankrolled Saddam to start with?