Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAWLESSNESS IN IRAQ AND THE FAILURE OF UNILATERALISM  (Read 3673 times)

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
Re: LAWLESSNESS IN IRAQ AND THE FAILURE OF UNILATERALISM
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 11:28:33 AM »
I don't think I understand what you're talking about? ???
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 11:31:23 AM »
You criticized the UN and France because they are linked to money and Iraq.  Let's go all the way and include those people who used their money to empower Saddam in the first place.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 11:37:36 AM »
Okay..fine, but I'm talking about our allies that profited from Iraq, thus would suffer from ousting its dictator.  I'm not talking about money used to empower him...money he used to pacify our "allies" (and I use that word loosely).
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 11:39:02 AM »
We profited from Iraq for many years. 

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 11:44:17 AM »
Verify that.  Let's just say kudo's to you..you verified it.  Now what?  Can we not consult ourselves?  Isn't that the whole basis of unilateralism?

jgruber

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 11:46:36 AM »
Verify that.  Let's just say kudo's to you..you verified it.  Now what?  Can we not consult ourselves?  Isn't that the whole basis of unilateralism?

I am suggesting that instead of picking your enemy of the day to blame look widely and at ourselves, too.  It serves no purpose to single out France as a country that profited from the corruption of Iraq except to make us look hypocritical and myopic.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 11:58:39 AM »
I'm not picking any enemy..just giving a reason why the US acted unilaterally in it's dealings with Iraq.  It DOES serve a purpose to point out the fact that France profited from Iraq because you yourself think that we should have consulted with them on our foriegn affairs.  By pointing out that France had a lot to lose if Saddaam was ousted, its easy to see why their opinion would be extremely skewed to their best interest and not that of the US.  Not doing so would be myopic. 

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 12:02:12 PM »
When did I say we should have consulted with France?

I don't care if we never talk to them again.

I'm pointing out that you are accusing other countries of base motives when ours are at the very least questionable.  France had a lot to lose financially.  We had a lot to gain.  Tell the whole story.

I'm not picking any enemy..just giving a reason why the US acted unilaterally in it's dealings with Iraq.  It DOES serve a purpose to point out the fact that France profited from Iraq because you yourself think that we should have consulted with them on our foriegn affairs.  By pointing out that France had a lot to lose if Saddaam was ousted, its easy to see why their opinion would be extremely skewed to their best interest and not that of the US.  Not doing so would be myopic. 

jgruber

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 12:05:04 PM »
Wait a minute.  I just got what you're saying.  We should not consult with other countries because they have different motives from us.  Then who would we ever consult with.  No one will be entirely in agreement with us. 

And are you suggesting that it would have been harmful to talk to France before invading Iraq?  What would have happened?  It's not like it was a secret what dubya wanted to do.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 12:15:44 PM »
You're getting waaay of track here.  I'm responding to a post questioning the US's reasoning for acting unilaterally with Iraq.  We should always consult our allies in foreign affairs, but if an extreme bias is evident, then their opinion is worthless and should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm not saying it would have been harmful to consult France...just pointless.