Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing In D.C.  (Read 2035 times)

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Housing In D.C.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 11:26:01 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking if I was to live outside of the district, it would be in Maryland as oppossed to Virginia, because of location and the commute.  While visiting, I liked the Tacoma Park area straddling the boundry of DC/Maryland; I've also heard that a lot of CUA students live in Silver Spring as well (which seemed decent, but more affordable).
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 11:33:11 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking if I was to live outside of the district, it would be in Maryland as oppossed to Virginia, because of location and the commute.  While visiting, I liked the Tacoma Park area straddling the boundry of DC/Maryland; I've also heard that a lot of CUA students live in Silver Spring as well (which seemed decent, but more affordable).

yeah, silver spring closest.  a little dumpy but some nice apartment buildings mixed in.  think the area has improved a lot in last three years.

I should have clarified that my arrogant opinion of what constitutes Nova is Alexandria (furthest out) or Arlington (actually closer and better for young people i.e. ballston, clarendon, courthouse areas - any of those three within walking distance to metro would be an awesome setup.  there are no bad areas there to speak of, all the amenities you might need/want.

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 11:38:53 AM »

Tacoma might be ok (I don't know too much about it, but one of my coworkers lives there), but some of the neighborhoods around CUA are questionable (I'm not sure I'd want to live in Brookland, for example). Just make sure you avoid Prince George's and you should be fine (though it, like anywhere else, has its nice areas).
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

KODIAK

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 11:42:11 AM »
Yeah that's a good point and it should be reiterated.  Do NOT under any circumstances let a realtor talk you into living in PG County.  There are many reasons for this that don't need to be fully explained.  Best to simply avoid it.  Some parts of Silver Spring are ok, but traffic in Montgomery County is even worse than in VA from what I've seen.  Best bet is still Arlington.  It will be well worth the extra money you'll likely pay.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 12:07:42 PM »
Yeah that's a good point and it should be reiterated.  Do NOT under any circumstances let a realtor talk you into living in PG County.  There are many reasons for this that don't need to be fully explained.  Best to simply avoid it.  Some parts of Silver Spring are ok, but traffic in Montgomery County is even worse than in VA from what I've seen.  Best bet is still Arlington.  It will be well worth the extra money you'll likely pay.

i didn't get into this earlier, but true.  A group house in arlington (there are tons, again in Ballston, clarendon, courthouse or virginia square)... would be anywhere from 450 - 900...  there is virtually no crime, it's a super short ride into the city, and there are lots of grocery stores, biking trails, entertainment, restaurants, etc. either in walking distance  or short drive (if walking is important you can screen for that - if you have a car just might open up a few extra options).  Once you get out into falls church area the price doesn't fall off that much, but it becomes a lot less convenient.

Not as nice as the areas i referenced, but as cheap or cheaper - Crystal city.  on a different metro line, but equally convenient.

I'll put MD like this - people get killed there ALL the time.  every night on the news someone is dying in PG county.  car jackings.  muggings. raping. etc.

Nothing bad seems to ever happen in arlington (esp the neighborhoods I mentioned.  again, super easy to get to city (metro, and lots of cabs, or if you have car, a super easy short drive (10 minutes) when there isn't rush hour traffic).

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 12:36:55 PM »
I live off of Columbia Pike in Arlington and I can attest to the good neighborhood.  I'm not on a Metro line, which saves me $$$, but there are a million +1 bus lines that run down the street.  Literally one every 5 minutes that can take you to Blue, Yellow or Orange lines or straight into town (I take that one a lot) plus I have lower taxes, free parking, my own room, own bathroom and I pay around $700 with utils  :)

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 12:38:16 PM »
Tousled - Do you drive a lot or usually take the bus/metro?

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »
I usually take the bus into work and bus/metro when I need to (either I miss my bus or there's a lot of traffic I want to avoid).  I drive mainly on the weekends, but I could easily get to most of the places I drive to with a bus/metro combo.  There are several grocery stores & restaurants within walking distance as well as some parks.  Cabs from the city aren't terrible, but you should know your prices before you get in.  Some people will try to take advantage since DC cabs are zoned and VA cabs are metered.  Depending on which kind you get into, you might get charged more.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 01:07:46 PM »
Wow that's good to know. I took a cab in Arlington when I visited GMU and it was like 6 dollars for like less than 2 miles, but worth it to not stand in the rain, but I wouldn't do it often.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 01:13:27 PM »
When I lived in DC I shared a house with 4 other people for $475 a room... since I was willing to split the attic room with my best friend I only had to pay half of that, which was really awesome.  We lived in Kensington technically, but only a 10 minute walk from the Wheaton Metro station.  I would really recommend that area since Catholic, Wheaton, Kensington, and Silver Spring are all on the red line, so it doesn't take long at all to get there.  Roommates.com is a great website where you can find lots of places for under $600, in the district and outside of it.