Law School Discussion

College Football

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #690 on: October 31, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »

Sidenote, for all those smirking about Tennessee, I have some commentary:

I, as a die-hard Vols fan will be the first to admit that this season has been nothing short of embarassing this year.  However, knowing what I do about that program [having been an insider for 4 years], I cannot, in good conscience, blame the players.  We didn't get the top 5 pre-season rankings out of the blue.  This is a team that is stacked with talent (see: top ten recruiting classess over the course of the last 5 years) and a team loaded with returning seniors and 5th years who stuck around in lieu of going to the NFL.  Our defense remains true to the pre-season hype.  We consistently shut down top-notch SEC offenses, holding an undefeated team to a touchdown-less game.  What went wrong for Tennessee this year, and what has been getting progressively worse since 1998's departure of David Cutcliffe, is our offense.  I make no excuses for what happened there; they just suck!  But what I will say is that when you have the talent that they do in offensive positions and cannot win a game, that's a coaching problem.  That's why TN fans all over should be screaming for the offensive coordinator's head; it's at least 7 years overdue.

FYI: Randy Sanders is often mistakenly credited with the 1998 championship win.  David Cutcliffe's playbook was used the whole time, whith Cutcliffe on the phone calling the plays.

Ok, whatever.

Be-all-end-all is that South Carolina isn't even playing that great this year and beat Tennessee at home (first time in thirteen years, I might add).  Tennessee sucks this year yet they were cocky enough to think that the Gamecocks would lay down and let them roll over them just because of their past record and less-than-promising record so far this year.  Tennessee has had this coming and I, for one, am proud as hell.

From ESPN.com:

"That is not what we expected," Fulmer said. "What you saw out there was unacceptable."

Tennessee has four regular-season losses for only the second time under Fulmer.

"In my 13 years, I've not had a season like this," Fulmer said. "I have never had anything that was easily handed to me and this (season) is not easy. We'll make whatever tough decisions need to be made ... personnel looks that need to be made. We're going to get this thing back on track."

Someone's trying to keep their job.   :D :D :D :D

Am I being unrealistic when I say that?

Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer had never lost to South Carolina. The last Tennessee coach who did, Johnny Majors, was forced out of his job six days later in 1992.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=253022633

Be all end all: Screw the Vols.  Their time is up.  They'll get stomped this week at Notre Dame, they will win against Memphis, Vandy will stomp them, and they will wrap up a dismal year with a close win at Kentucky.

ouch.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 31, 2005, 10:12:29 PM »
it's one bad season.  with the offensive coordinator officially fired, they'll recover next year.

jg983

« Reply #692 on: October 31, 2005, 10:19:37 PM »
I haven't been following this thread, and I'm not going to pretend I know a huge amount about college football, but I just want to say: "Woo hoo! The UA finally won a game!" It's probably the only time this year I'll be able to say it. Thanks for listening.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 01, 2005, 10:38:54 AM »
lol :D

jg983

« Reply #694 on: November 01, 2005, 11:14:49 AM »
Uh huh. Tell that to Illinois.

« Reply #695 on: November 01, 2005, 11:18:47 AM »
Poor IU sucks at football :(

tegra8

« Reply #696 on: November 01, 2005, 02:05:09 PM »
for all the UT bashing going on, i'll sum it up for you...

USC squeeks by UT and heads roll on the UT coaching staff
If UT squeeks by USC, USC coaches get an extension

i'd like to thank USC for beating us because it forced the coaching staff to make changes.  Losing to USC is inexcusable.  If UT had gone on to end the season with another average finish, changes would not have been made.  But after that embarassment, things are better for the future.

really says alot about the USC program 

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 01, 2005, 02:17:57 PM »

i'd like to thank USC for beating us because it forced the coaching staff to make changes.  Losing to USC is inexcusable.  If UT had gone on to end the season with another average finish, changes would not have been made.  But after that embarassment, things are better for the future.

Wow thanks, but at least wait till the Rose Bowl to congratulate us ;D

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 01, 2005, 04:14:44 PM »

The discussion above is referring to the University of Tennessee and the University of South Carolina.

« Reply #699 on: November 02, 2005, 07:49:01 AM »

The discussion above is referring to the University of Tennessee and the University of South Carolina.

Do you think?

::)