College Football

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #550 on: October 02, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »
we have the heart of a champion.

I'll reiterate what i said in another thread:
USC plays the hardest schedule in the country.  Every team they play is going to give them their best shot, the pressure is intense and the teams they play are great without the extra motivation.
1. #24 UO at Autzen
2. #14 ASU in the desert
3. #13 Notre Dame in South Bend
4. #12 Cal in Berkeley
5. Fresno State is the best in the WAC
5. #20 UCLA who always gets up for the rivalry game

If we go undefeated and win the rosebowl, we are the G.O.A.T.

BTW the SEC is overrated and Florida sucks

HTH

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 02, 2005, 05:00:09 PM »
Whatever, tegra. Give me one SEC team that could give USC a run for their money and then perhaps I'll start taking you seriously.  ::)  The SEC is the most overrated, underperforming conference there is.  Give me a Big 12, Big 10, or Pac 10 game anyday over the whiny girls that play in your conference.

according to my neighbors (granted they are Football players) USF Bulls could beat any top 10 team in the nation just as they did last week.. i had to laugh.. but the guys believes it.
what do you neighbors think now? :D :D

tegra8

« Reply #552 on: October 02, 2005, 05:15:14 PM »

USC plays the hardest schedule in the country.  Every team they play is going to give them their best shot, the pressure is intense and the teams they play are great without the extra motivation.
1. #24 UO at Autzen
2. #14 ASU in the desert
4. #12 Cal in Berkeley

HTH
i was referring to South Carolina.... 

and the SEC is the best conference in the country from top to bottom

tegra8

« Reply #553 on: October 02, 2005, 05:16:32 PM »
Whatever, tegra. Give me one SEC team that could give USC a run for their money and then perhaps I'll start taking you seriously.  ::)  The SEC is the most overrated, underperforming conference there is.  Give me a Big 12, Big 10, or Pac 10 game anyday over the whiny girls that play in your conference.

according to my neighbors (granted they are Football players) USF Bulls could beat any top 10 team in the nation just as they did last week.. i had to laugh.. but the guys believes it.
what do you neighbors think now? :D :D

losing at Miami by 20 when committing 5 turnovers is not that bad... especially for a team that just started their program from scratch 8 years ago  ::)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 02, 2005, 05:19:06 PM »

1. #24 UO at Autzen
2. #14 ASU in the desert
4. #12 Cal in Berkeley

HTH

um, first of all, this team almost slipped up this weekend. surely this isn't the time to brag.

furthermore, i am not certain that this is the hardest strength of schedule in the country.  yes, you play five ranked teams, but so does florida, and their opponents are more impressive:

1. #5 Tennessee
2. #15 Alabama
3. #4 LSU
4. #7 georgia
5. #6 Florida State

that's 4 top 10 teams and no (ranked) team below 15.

consider a similar case with Tennessee:

#6 Florida
#3 LSU
#7 Georgia
#13 Notre Dame
#15 Alabama

i could go on, but as one may imagine, this is the case with virtually every team in the SEC.

so let's talk about the SEC.

if auburn didn't get screwed out of playing for the championship last year, it would have been a blood bath, and it wouldn't be at cadillac williams' and ronnie brown's expense. unlike usc, who barely slipped by a mediocre ucla last year, auburn dominated each of the teams it played (playing more highly ranked teams than usc).

thank you. have a nice day.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: October 02, 2005, 05:38:05 PM »
Pink, I love you but you are clearly not seeing the whole picture.  USC plays the hardest schedule in the country not only because of its opponents, but because it is going for a threepeat.  This adds two "dispositive" elements:

1. Every team they play is playing their own personal championship game against SC; they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
2. The pressure inherent in trying to win a third straight national championship is incredible and the odds against SC are worse.

I think coming back from a 21-3 deficit is incredible no matter who USC was facing or where. But considering ASU is a great team and that USC was playing in 100+ heat and at ASU, you have got to hand it to them.

I have not seen any evidence that the SEC is the best conference in the country beside the rankings but the rankings prove my point that the SEC is overrated. 

As far as AU, USC spanked the holy crap out of AU the year before with exactly the same team and at home.  OU is and has been overrated but AU would have gotten their asses handed to them WORSE than OU.  DID YOU WATCH THEIR BOWL GAME???   They very nearly lost!  No way they could compete with USC in the last four years, including this one.

HTH

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 02, 2005, 05:55:52 PM »
Pink, I love you but you are clearly not seeing the whole picture.  USC plays the hardest schedule in the country not only because of its opponents, but because it is going for a threepeat.  This adds two "dispositive" elements:

1. Every team they play is playing their own personal championship game against SC; they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
2. The pressure inherent in trying to win a third straight national championship is incredible and the odds against SC are worse.

I think coming back from a 21-3 deficit is incredible no matter who USC was facing or where. But considering ASU is a great team and that USC was playing in 100+ heat and at ASU, you have got to hand it to them.

I have not seen any evidence that the SEC is the best conference in the country beside the rankings but the rankings prove my point that the SEC is overrated. 

As far as AU, USC spanked the holy darn out of AU the year before with exactly the same team and at home.  OU is and has been overrated but AU would have gotten their asses handed to them WORSE than OU.  DID YOU WATCH THEIR BOWL GAME???   They very nearly lost!  No way they could compete with USC in the last four years, including this one.

HTH

You could make those same points about every single one of Florida's or Tennessee's opponents.  In fact, the stakes are even higher because both Florida and Tennessee play teams that could potentially play for the national championship; this is not the case with USC. 

USC has looked downright vulnerable the last two weeks.  You cannot deny that.

Yes, coming back from a 21-3 deficit is impressive, but it's far more impressive when you get the job done with just 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter and you are playing a top 5 opponent.  See: Monday night game between Tennessee and LSU.

People like you say that the SEC is overrated.  I presume this is because it is teams that top the SEC are rarely undefeated within the SEC.  True, but that only speaks to the strength of the competition within the conference.  If every team was the punching bag that Vanderbilt usually is, this would not be the case.  The fact is, the SEC has a team in the running for the national championship EVERY year.  It is often the case, as it is this year, that more than one SEC team could be a national title contender.  This is simply not the case with the PAC-10.  You get one national title contender per year in that conference, and that's if you're having a particularly good year. 

Sorry, but objectively, a number of teams have a tougher schedule.  USC may still go undefeated (I doubt any team will this year, but let's presume it does, for the sake of argument), but it will not have done so playing any top 5 or even any top 10 teams.  And frankly, when you don't play worthy contenders, winning them all isn't so impressive.

tegra8

« Reply #557 on: October 02, 2005, 06:01:54 PM »
when one of the top teams from the SEC played one of the top teams from the Pac 10 this year the SEC won... at the Pac 10 teams home

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 02, 2005, 06:03:09 PM »
your presumption of worthy opponents rests on the theory that the rankings are valid.  Is Florida really #5 or #14?  Two days ago they were in the running for the national championship, until they got spanked.  The only reason teams in the PAC-10 are not in the running this year is because everyone they have to overcome the stigma that is attached to the PAC-10.  It is a self fulfilling prophecy.  The teams in the SEC are in the running because they are in the SEC.

USC's opponents have nothing to lose and everything to win; you cant say that about the opponents in the SEC because they are fighting for something too.

PLUS, none of the teams in teh SEC have the pressure that goes with winning a national championship 2 years in a row, let alone 3 years in a row.

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 02, 2005, 06:07:20 PM »
your presumption of worthy opponents rests on the theory that the rankings are valid.  Is Florida really #5 or #14?  Two days ago they were in the running for the national championship, until they got spanked.  The only reason teams in the PAC-10 are not in the running this year is because everyone they have to overcome the stigma that is attached to the PAC-10.  It is a self fulfilling prophecy.  The teams in the SEC are in the running because they are in the SEC.

USC's opponents have nothing to lose and everything to win; you cant say that about the opponents in the SEC because they are fighting for something too.

PLUS, none of the teams in teh SEC have the pressure that goes with winning a national championship 2 years in a row, let alone 3 years in a row.

i agree that there must be an immense amount of pressure for usc to get a third championship, however, counsel, that is a purely subjective point and has nothing to do with the objective measure of usc's relative strength of schedule.  everything or nothing to lose has no bearing on the strength of schedule.  either you play a good team or you don't. period.  these outside considerations do not change the strength of schedule considerations. 

besides, who's to say which situation is most laden with pressure: the pressure to take (not win, because they did not win it the first time) a third championship or the pressure to rebuild the greatest football program ever (alabama)?