Law School Discussion

College Football

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #320 on: July 27, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »
See, I am not impressed by a team's winning streak.  Undefeated teams are not necessarily better than teams with 1,2 or 3 losses.  It is the end of season play, then time when a team puts it all together that really shows what they are made of.  USC didnt beat OU because they had a weaker schedule, they pummelled them because USC had FAR SUPERIOR athletes, plain and simple.

The problem with measuring teams by bowl games is that the teams have a month long break, which can change momentum. I give USC credit for playing well when it counts the most though. Your last point is correct but a team is measured through competition, which was something USC lacked most weeks. USC's athletes still don't match Miami from a few years ago when they were sending five or six guys to the first round. Miami faced a much more difficult schedule and was not able to compete for the national championship regularly.

You're forgetting a few things, bud.....remember back to three years ago, when USC won the orange bowl and ended up 4th in the rankings?  THe year that Carson won the Heisman?  We had the hardest strength of schedule in the country that year, buddy.  Go back and look it up, if you don't believe me.

With schedules arranged 5 years in advance, we certainly are TRYING to play the tougher opponents.  Notre Dame isn't supposed to suck so much.  If you will remember, we kicked VT's ass to start off last year's season.  The year before that we kicked the season off by killing Auburn.  It's not all just bowl games, though we certainly kicked Iowa, Michigan, and Oklahoma's asses too.

No matter the game, USC has proven themselves to come up big when we need it. 

i have a hard time believing that any team playing in the PAC-10 can have the #1 strength of schedule.  proof?

creM of the crop

« Reply #321 on: July 27, 2005, 01:47:06 PM »
Look it up yourself, buddy.  I remember from being there.

RAWR!!

fiesty!

(psst:  Go BIG BLUE!!!)

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 27, 2005, 01:53:42 PM »

well if you're so sure, you ought to be able to back it up. from what i remember, miami was playing much more impressive teams that year.

tegra8

« Reply #323 on: July 27, 2005, 01:59:04 PM »

well if you're so sure, you ought to be able to back it up. from what i remember, miami was playing much more impressive teams that year.

they were #1 IIRC, but that had a lot to do with teams like Oregon St and Ariz. St having high rankings... but not really deserving them.  The Pac-10 always has a good team or two, but top to bottom it is highly overrated.

how bout them USF bulls?!?  anyone.... 

anyone even heard of them??  no....

nm

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 27, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »

they were #1 IIRC, but that had a lot to do with teams like Oregon St and Ariz. St having high rankings... but not really deserving them.  The Pac-10 always has a good team or two, but top to bottom it is highly overrated.

how bout them USF bulls?!?  anyone.... 

anyone even heard of them??  no....

nm

yeah, we tampa folks know about them bulls.

but i still would like to see a link to this stength of schedule issue.

tegra8

« Reply #325 on: July 27, 2005, 02:12:51 PM »
Look it up yourself, buddy. I remember from being there.

they were #1 IIRC, but that had a lot to do with teams like Oregon St and Ariz. St having high rankings... but not really deserving them. The Pac-10 always has a good team or two, but top to bottom it is highly overrated.

how bout them USF bulls?!? anyone....

anyone even heard of them?? no....

nm

Actually, that year we played Auburn, Colorado, Kansas State, Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Washington, Oregon, Stanford, ASU, Notre Dame, and then Iowa in the Orange Bowl.

6 of those teams finished the year in the top 15.  Eat me.

nm... thought you were talking about 2004

creM of the crop

« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »

creM of the crop

« Reply #327 on: July 27, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »
Really, darlin, when you know you've got two USC fans patrolling this thread, you're just embarassing yourself and your team by bringin up Michigan at all....

jsia ;D

am I gonna have to pull up the overall stats again??

:-*

creM of the crop

« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2005, 02:36:35 PM »
Now for a cheer they are here,
triumphant!
Here they come with banners flying,
In stalwart step they're nighing,
With shouts of vict'ry crying,
We hurrah, hurrah, we greet you now,
Hail!

Far we their praises sing
For the glory and fame they've bro't us
Loud let the bells them ring
For here they come with banners flying
Far we their praises tell
For the glory and fame they've bro't us
Loud let the bells them ring
For here they come with banners flying
Here they come, Hurrah!

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

We cheer them again
We cheer and cheer again
For Michigan, we cheer for Michigan
We cheer with might and main
We cheer, cheer, cheer
With might and main we cheer!

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

creM of the crop

« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2005, 02:42:59 PM »
Sooooo longggggg.....

(unfortunately that's all that michiganders got with any significant length) ::)

I guess it's lucky for me that I'm a southern boy.

:-*

(and what do you expect?  our song was written before the turn of the century!!)