Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 200553 times)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #310 on: July 27, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
See, I am not impressed by a team's winning streak.  Undefeated teams are not necessarily better than teams with 1,2 or 3 losses.  It is the end of season play, then time when a team puts it all together that really shows what they are made of.  USC didnt beat OU because they had a weaker schedule, they pummelled them because USC had FAR SUPERIOR athletes, plain and simple.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 27, 2005, 12:45:05 PM »
Tennessee, bitches, is what it's about in 2005.  Don't get it twisted. 

We're loaded, ready and PISSED!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: July 27, 2005, 12:50:30 PM »

The SEC is almost too brutal for a serious national title contender to actually emerge from the pack.  In every other major conference, a good team can take about half of the season off mentally and still come out undefeated.  The SEC has about 1 or 2 easy games in each division and that's it. Throw in the title game where the two teams are likely to be Top 10 nationally and you've got a scenario where everyone probably gets beat once. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 27, 2005, 12:54:44 PM »

The SEC is almost too brutal for a serious national title contender to actually emerge from the pack.  In every other major conference, a good team can take about half of the season off mentally and still come out undefeated.  The SEC has about 1 or 2 easy games in each division and that's it. Throw in the title game where the two teams are likely to be Top 10 nationally and you've got a scenario where everyone probably gets beat once. 

Agreed, which makes it all the more impressive when an SEC team plays for the title.

Personally, I think Auburn was the best team in the country last year, but they got screwed.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2005, 01:47:51 PM »
See, I am not impressed by a team's winning streak.  Undefeated teams are not necessarily better than teams with 1,2 or 3 losses.  It is the end of season play, then time when a team puts it all together that really shows what they are made of.  USC didnt beat OU because they had a weaker schedule, they pummelled them because USC had FAR SUPERIOR athletes, plain and simple.

The problem with measuring teams by bowl games is that the teams have a month long break, which can change momentum. I give USC credit for playing well when it counts the most though. Your last point is correct but a team is measured through competition, which was something USC lacked most weeks. USC's athletes still don't match Miami from a few years ago when they were sending five or six guys to the first round. Miami faced a much more difficult schedule and was not able to compete for the national championship regularly.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 27, 2005, 02:23:03 PM »

The problem with measuring teams by bowl games is that the teams have a month long break, which can change momentum. I give USC credit for playing well when it counts the most though. Your last point is correct but a team is measured through competition, which was something USC lacked most weeks. USC's athletes still don't match Miami from a few years ago when they were sending five or six guys to the first round. Miami faced a much more difficult schedule and was not able to compete for the national championship regularly.

co-sign. miami had to beat much tougher teams to get there.

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: July 27, 2005, 02:30:53 PM »
USC benefited greatly from watered down competition last year.  Not just in the Pac 10 but in all of college football. The traditional powers (Miami, FSU) had down years by their standards.  As much as I love my Tar Heels, there is no way we should ever beat Miami.  LSU, the previous year's co champion, was down a little as well. As mentioned before the Pac 10 was abysmal.      Auburn should have gotten their shot before Oklahoma and maybe could have given the Trojans a good game.  But when Utah and Pittsburgh are playing in a BCS game and Texas is winning one something is wrong.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 27, 2005, 02:54:38 PM »
what about basketball?

oklahoma in 2006!
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 27, 2005, 02:56:01 PM »
what about basketball?

oklahoma in 2006!

this is the football thread.  thanks.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 27, 2005, 03:46:25 PM »
you guys are out of the loop...

it is BASEBALL season...just to inform ya!
give it a rest for a while.
or are u going to tell me u just don't understand the thinking man's game.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare