Law School Discussion

College Football

ASNetlenov

Re: College Football
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »
The fifth game will let the undefeated team from a weak conference play in a BCS game. Who cares about those small schools? It's nice that they have great seasons, but they are beating teams with players like me, and that is not impressive or worthy of any serious consideration.

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 08:03:11 AM »
Here in Columbus, they are talking about another Buckeye national championship.

The team is probably not going to miss Nugent.  Seriously, Zwick will be better and the buckeyes have a serious threat in Ted Ginn.  I think it's going to ride on the defense.

Boehmer

• Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 08:06:13 AM »
Yeah, what does a 5th game accomplish?  It's still a "so what" game.  It doesn't do a damn.

Yeah, everyone down in c-bus does have their hopes up for this year and they'll definently be riding the defense (that's big 10 football).  I think it'd just be nice to have an offense that can put up some points and not have to depend on the special teams for TD's.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 08:09:39 AM »
Yeah, what does a 5th game accomplish?  It's still a "so what" game.  It doesn't do a damn.

Yeah, everyone down in c-bus does have their hopes up for this year and they'll definently be riding the defense (that's big 10 football).  I think it'd just be nice to have an offense that can put up some points and not have to depend on the special teams for TD's.

Ginn will be a special teams threat, but Tressel is working him into the regular offense.

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 08:11:31 AM »
What they should do is eliminate one non-conference game from everyone's schedule and get rid of those pointless conference championship games. Who the hell wants to see Iowa State play Oklahoma for the Big 12 championship anyway? Put in an 8 team playoff and then see who the true national champion is. USC was tough, but would they have beaten Auburn?
Also, I dont get why everyone rags on the Big 10. Ok, it's not the most exciting conference to watch (i.e. Last year's Iowa 6 PSU 4) offensively, but they do play defense. And look at last year's bowl games: Ohio State 33 - Okla St 7 (should have beaten Okla), Minnesota 20 - Alabama 16...Iowa over LSU...Georgia was supposed to be great and could barely beat Wisc, and Texas over Michigan by 1. All I know is that if you stuck Michigan or Iowa in against USC, they wouldn't have put up 55 points. I'd rather see a defensive battle anyday over an offensive explosion and a defensive sh*tshow.
And you can say I'm hitting the pipe as well...but next year's sleeper will be Penn State. Returning the whole defense, not to mention we actually have a mobile quarterback with an arm, and Williams and King look unbelievable. Look out in 06 too.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 08:19:01 AM »
What they should do is eliminate one non-conference game from everyone's schedule and get rid of those pointless conference championship games. Who the hell wants to see Iowa State play Oklahoma for the Big 12 championship anyway? Put in an 8 team playoff and then see who the true national champion is. USC was tough, but would they have beaten Auburn?
Also, I dont get why everyone rags on the Big 10. Ok, it's not the most exciting conference to watch (i.e. Last year's Iowa 6 PSU 4) offensively, but they do play defense. And look at last year's bowl games: Ohio State 33 - Okla St 7 (should have beaten Okla), Minnesota 20 - Alabama 16...Iowa over LSU...Georgia was supposed to be great and could barely beat Wisc, and Texas over Michigan by 1. All I know is that if you stuck Michigan or Iowa in against USC, they wouldn't have put up 55 points. I'd rather see a defensive battle anyday over an offensive explosion and a defensive sh*tshow.
And you can say I'm hitting the pipe as well...but next year's sleeper will be Penn State. Returning the whole defense, not to mention we actually have a mobile quarterback with an arm, and Williams and King look unbelievable. Look out in 06 too.
This is fair. I do not mean to rag on the Big 10. They play excellent defense, which should be appreciated. I think it started when someone said the Big 10 was better than the ACC.

The only conference truly worthy of being regularly ripped is that joke called the Pac 10. Terrible, just terrible.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2005, 08:30:19 AM »
Exactly right. The Pac 10 is a joke. At least there are a couple good teams in the Big 10 and they can play defense. I will give them that. But Pac 10 should be D2.

And what is up with conferences not being able to count?! I realize it is name recognition but sheesh!

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »
Exactly right. The Pac 10 is a joke. At least there are a couple good teams in the Big 10 and they can play defense. I will give them that. But Pac 10 should be D2.

And what is up with conferences not being able to count?! I realize it is name recognition but sheesh!

You'll notice that there is an eleven (look at the T) in the Big Ten logo.  It is their way of maintaining name recognition, while also recognizing Penn State's admittance.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2005, 08:44:15 AM »
Wow. Thats funny. I never noticed that. Those tricky Big Teners!

ASNetlenov

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005, 08:52:53 AM »

You'll notice that there is an eleven (look at the T) in the Big Ten logo.  It is their way of maintaining name recognition, while also recognizing Penn State's admittance.

It's still silly. Just change the name to the Big 11. The Big 8 made the change to the Big XII. That way they could avoid trying to cram a second number in there using negative space.