Law School Discussion

College Football

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: College Football
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 07:24:27 AM »
This is true and it is exactly (one) the problem with the BCS. GOD I hate the BCS. I just will NEVER understand why college football is a the ONLY major sport without a playoff system. And that crap about college players not being able to handle that many games with their young bodies and academic careers is just laughable. Half these guys are leaving early to go to the NFL anyway. Other college sports do it. And I don't see how 2-3 more games is going to make that much of a difference. It is crap. Every year, college football fans have no clear champion. No way to determine the best team. That is ridiculous! GOD it pisses me off!

ASNetlenov

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 07:28:49 AM »
The BCS should be roasted in Hell, along with its creators. I do not understand the argument that a playoff system would detract from the current bowl system. Why can't we have both. 8 teams qualify for the playoffs based on some BCS system and the rest of the teams keep on keeping on. It would only take 7 bowl games to find a winner and everyone would be happy.

At least ND is still terrible and cannot negotiate the same special perks they were able to get last time. I hate that school because the media gives them so much attention. See earlier remarks about ESPN and the Big 10. Same idea.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 07:34:29 AM »
This is true. I never understood that arguement either. You wouldn't even have to change the bowls. It pisses me off that, really, in the end, it is not about what is best for the sport or the players or the teams or the fans. It is about money and how the TV networks can fit it into their schedule. I mean, bowls pick teams based on how much money that team will bring to the area, not based on who deserves to be there or what would make for the best game. We should not sacrifice the game for the sake of profit.

Though I do not share your hatred for ND (I kinda like their whole tradition thing), you are right that they get an inorinant amount of attention for a team that has not been a contender in years. Games of teams that are having great yrs don't get televised but every game of a team that has not been to a national championship in decades do? Not right.

Boehmer

• Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 07:37:15 AM »
I also would love to see an 8 team playoff.  It's not like they already don't have tons of time off between the end of the season and the bowl games.  3 weeks and you could do an eight team playoff.  The biggest obstacles are tradition and money.  Oddly enough, the same reason the big 10 and ND get some much coverage.  If they want to keep the bowl games, but rotate them through the "BCS" tournament.  Grab the biggest bowl games, the 4 BCS, plus 3 others.

I disagree with having everyone else continuing to play though, that would wreak havoc on scheduling.  Plus, those games would be drastically over shadowed by the BCS games.

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 07:40:08 AM »
1. Big XII
2. SEC
3. ACC
4. Big 10 Pac 10 (tie)

What?! U are crazy. Help me out here ASN
No, that just ain't right.

The Big XII has two good teams at the top and not much else. K State and Nebraska are not in 1998 form these days; they have to be moved down. There is nothing else in that conference.

I am homer, I admit it. It would be hard to argue they are not in the top 2-3 for the last 10 years, however.

I do agree Nebraska and KSU are down last year, but Nebraska recruited well this year, so I would not say their program is dead yet. Snyder's track record at K-State has been pretty consistent so I would be surprised if they were down for too long.

I also think that TTech, A & M, and OSU are all teams on the rise, and will provide enough competition for OU and Texas in the South. There are more than 2 teams in the conference.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 07:40:36 AM »

I disagree with having everyone else continuing to play though, that would wreak havoc on scheduling.  Plus, those games would be drastically over shadowed by the BCS games.

This is a problem with that plan. so what happens to the other teams? all but eight have no post season? I don't think that would fly.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 07:43:19 AM »
I like the ND tradition, the media just ruined it for me by ramming it down my throat when they have not been good since '89.

I think this is a case of the TV industry being risk averse. There is plenty of money in the modified system. The execs are just too old and fearful to see the potential for MORE money and MORE interest in college football with a playoff system. The university presidents, who are also a big problem, are just as bad. Go figure, they are in academia and afraid of risk. Note: I think teaching and working in academics is a great thing, but it does not qualify you to mess around with my college football.

If the Auburn outrage did not change the system, I do not know what will. Maybe it would have been better if Oklahoma had put up a fight against USC. In that event, people would not have thought it was a forgone conclusion that USC would have dominated Auburn too. I still wanted to see the game.

And how does the BCS respond- they add a 5th game. Whoop-dee-do-dah. I hate those bastards for ruining the best sport in the world.

Feeling better after that mini-rant.

Boehmer

• Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 07:50:31 AM »
This is a problem with that plan. so what happens to the other teams? all but eight have no post season? I don't think that would fly.

Yeah, that's a good question.  I guess you could just keep the rest of the bowl games and they could compete in those.  My problem with continuing the season is what if you're supposed to play team A, but they made the tourny, now what do you do?  Take the week off?

My way of doing this would be.  For 06 New year's day is a sunday, guess that's when they'd play the championship game, or on the 31st.  That means you'd still need the 17th and 24th for the first 2 rounds.  Make the 10th and off week.  Or play on the 3rd and 10th, 24th off (it is x-mas).  Almost everyone is done by the 3rd of Dec anyway.  It really wouldn't be that hard.  And if you wanted to, everyone else could play their so what bowls in there too.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 07:53:07 AM »
It's not like the players have to worry about exams.  ;)

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 07:53:11 AM »
Note: I think teaching and working in academics is a great thing, but it does not qualify you to mess around with my college football.

Here here!  :D

And how does the BCS respond- they add a 5th game. Whoop-dee-do-dah. I hate those bastards for ruining the best sport in the world.

Yeah. What did this accomplish? Nothing. It just shows the absolute idiocy of the system that you need to add ANOTHER game just to make up for the flaws in the rest of the system.

If the Auburn outrage did not change the system, I do not know what will. Maybe it would have been better if Oklahoma had put up a fight against USC. In that event, people would not have thought it was a forgone conclusion that USC would have dominated Auburn too. I still wanted to see the game.

I agree. If someone can go undefeated in the SEC and not go to the National Championship, something is REALLY wrong. I think everyone really wanted to see that game.