1. SEC fo' sho' Go Gators
2. Big Ten
3. ACC
4. Big Twelve
5. Pac Ten
6. Big East
7. Mac
8. Conf. USA
The Big Ten at #2? Put down the pipe. And I would almost put the Pac 10 below the Mac, but there is that little problem of USC.

:D
jinx
Buckeye fans are delusional ::)

ASNetlenov

Re: College Football
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 06:45:18 AM »
:D
jinx
Buckeye fans are delusional ::)
Of course they are, they are fans of THE Ohio State University. And I know the "THE" is a slap at Ohio (the University), but really, who cares.

Big X (11- counting be hard) football = slow.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 06:49:54 AM »
THE Ohio State University (that is pretty annoying after a while WE GET IT!) won most of their games in the last few years by a field goal. Now, I know a W is a W but still.... How much respect can you truly expect? But yet ESPN and everyone else just talks and talks and talks about the Big Ten. I would like to see the teams of the Big Ten make it thru a season in the new ACC. But everyone is under the impression that they are the greatest conference because ESPN are Big Ten whores.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 06:53:45 AM »
THE Ohio State University (that is pretty annoying after a while WE GET IT!) won most of their games in the last few years by a field goal. Now, I know a W is a W but still.... How much respect can you truly expect? But yet ESPN and everyone else just talks and talks and talks about the Big Ten. I would like to see the teams of the Big Ten make it thru a season in the new ACC. But everyone is under the impression that they are the greatest conference because ESPN are Big Ten whores.
That is because the ESPN guys grew up during a time when Big Ten football was the best thing going. Sadly, that was many years ago. They just need to get past their collective youth.

And as far as OSU goes, Nugent is gone and I hope they have a good replacement for him.

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 07:03:12 AM »
Well since he was the one that one them most their games...

Pretty sad when the loss of your kicker means trouble for your team  ::)

Boehmer

• Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 07:05:28 AM »
Yeah, OSU could have a hard year.  Nug was a big help these last couple as you could always count on him.  You have to give OSU some respect as they pulled off many close games.

As for the best conference.  I decided to do a little math with the final BCS (yes, I know how accurate they are) from last year.  USC got 25 pts for finishing 1st, Oklahoma got 24, etc.  Then I added up all the points for each conference.  Also listed is the # of teams in the top 25.  And actually I think it gives a pretty good ranking...

Rank Conf   Pts Teams
1.   SEC    71  5
2.   Big 12 58  5
3.   Pac 10 53  3
4.   ACC    48  4
5.   Big 10 37  4
6.   Mt W   20  1
7.   WAC    17  1
8.   C USA  16  1
9.   Big E   5  1

Nole

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »
See I don't agree with that way of ranking conferences.  The easier your conference is, the better your record, the higher you finish in the BCS or any other poll. All they have to do is win one bowl game. Georgia Tech would go to a BCS bowl every year if they played in the Pac 10. I know there are good teams in each conference but I don't think rankings (especially the BCS) tell the whole story. But I do realize there is something to be said for an objective formula.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 07:14:31 AM »
The thing with the Pac 10 is that there is nothing after Cal and USC. The majority of the conference is weak, and I think the BCS formula used above is probably too top heavy.
It's the freakin' Pac 10 where they don't play defense. I do not know how they can be placed above the slow Big 10 even.

Boehmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 07:16:19 AM »
See I don't agree with that way of ranking conferences.  The easier your conference is, the better your record, the higher you finish in the BCS or any other poll. All they have to do is win one bowl game. Georgia Tech would go to a BCS bowl every year if they played in the Pac 10. I know there are good teams in each conference but I don't think rankings (especially the BCS) tell the whole story. But I do realize there is something to be said for an objective formula.

I never said it was perfect, it was just something I put together b/c I was curious.  The couple things you mentioned I totally agree with.  And don't get my started on the BCS rankings.

Boehmer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 07:18:28 AM »
The thing with the Pac 10 is that there is nothing after Cal and USC. The majority of the conference is weak, and I think the BCS formula used above is probably too top heavy.
It's the freakin' Pac 10 where they don't play defense. I do not know how they can be placed above the slow Big 10 even.

We could agrue all day about proper weighting, it's pointless, I just just put something together.  I would move the Pac 10 down myself, but I wasn't going to put some subjective change in the numbers ranking I did.