Law School Discussion

College Football

t...

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #4480 on: December 04, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »
My playoff system aims for the importance of the regular season, and doesn't care about revenue.

12 teams (the top 12, even if the top 4 come from one conference), with the top 4 getting byes and home field advantage.

Round 1: Top 4 teams sit out.  The remaining 8 teams play with the higher seed getting homefield advantage.
Round 2: The top 4 teams with byes play the winners from Round 1.  The top 4 enjoy homefield advantage.
Round 3: The Final Four, with both games at a neutral site.
Round 4: The Championship Game at a neutral site.

You're giving byes AND home field advantage to the top 4 teams? I understand you're trying to retain the importance of the regular season and rewarding the top 4, but what's the point here, then? Why not just do a plus 2?

I think the problem first and foremost is with preseason polls, and the ranking system in general.

h2xblive

« Reply #4481 on: December 04, 2007, 08:37:23 PM »
My playoff system aims for the importance of the regular season, and doesn't care about revenue.

12 teams (the top 12, even if the top 4 come from one conference), with the top 4 getting byes and home field advantage.

Round 1: Top 4 teams sit out.  The remaining 8 teams play with the higher seed getting homefield advantage.
Round 2: The top 4 teams with byes play the winners from Round 1.  The top 4 enjoy homefield advantage.
Round 3: The Final Four, with both games at a neutral site.
Round 4: The Championship Game at a neutral site.

You're giving byes AND home field advantage to the top 4 teams? I understand you're trying to retain the importance of the regular season and rewarding the top 4, but what's the point here, then? Why not just do a plus 2?

I think the problem first and foremost is with preseason polls, and the ranking system in general.

We could use 6 teams instead of 12, I suppose.  I really like the idea of byes and homefield advantage to make the regular season exciting all the way.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: December 04, 2007, 10:00:17 PM »
I don't like the idea of byes at all. Home field advantage, on the other hand, is something that can be earned and given to those team that finish higher in the polls at the end of the season.

I think in order to have a playoff we need to realign the conferences a bit so they have approx. the same number of teams, and we should standardize some rules in order to compete in the playoffs (no Big 10 type scheduling where teams get to duck each other). I'd also eliminate out of conference scheduling altogether.

h2xblive

« Reply #4483 on: December 05, 2007, 05:46:18 AM »
I don't like the idea of byes at all. Home field advantage, on the other hand, is something that can be earned and given to those team that finish higher in the polls at the end of the season.

I think in order to have a playoff we need to realign the conferences a bit so they have approx. the same number of teams, and we should standardize some rules in order to compete in the playoffs (no Big 10 type scheduling where teams get to duck each other). I'd also eliminate out of conference scheduling altogether.

I agree.  Make all conerences have at least 12 teams and give them an conference championship game.  Make the conferences smaller and make all the teams play each other.

If we do the latter, only then would I be ok with automatic bids from conferences.

h2xblive

« Reply #4484 on: December 08, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
HE15MAN!

Once again, it's

GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Congrats Timmy Tebow!!!!

« Reply #4485 on: December 08, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »
Haha and who knows he might even become the first three time recipient!

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: December 08, 2007, 10:32:47 PM »
Haha and who knows he might even become the first three time recipient!

If he isn't there's something wrong with the Heisman voters.

« Reply #4487 on: December 10, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »
DII football does a 16 team playoff.  That would only be extra 4 games for the teams that make it to the championship, 3 games for the semifinalists, 2 games for the quarter finalists, and 1 game for all those who get eliminated in the first round.  All games but the semifinals and championship games would be played at the highest seeded team's home.  Semis and final would be at a BCS bowl site (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange bowls). That would only be three places, so they would need to figure out what to do with the fourth bowl, but it could work. With this schedule the first two rounds would be played before Christmas and the last two rounds on New Years and after. 

h2xblive

« Reply #4488 on: January 07, 2008, 08:05:59 PM »
Go SEC!

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: January 07, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »
Next year is going to be so f-ing good.

Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, and Ohio State should all be juggernauts next year. West Virginia and USC should be just a notch below. Michigan, LSU, and Missouri should be solid top 10 teams. And you always have Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, and Va Tech hanging around.