Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 196536 times)

h2xblive

Re: College Football
« Reply #3540 on: December 04, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »
any true sportsfan would rather see the best team in the sec play the best team in the 10 rather than the first best team in the 10 play the second best team in the 10 for a second time. 

seems like any true sports fan would want to see the best team in the nation play the second best team.

what are the odds on the game?

if ohio is favored by more than 3, that's a good indication that um should be playing them again

What makes UM the CLEAR #2 team? Nothing except a whole lot of conjecture.

so, when ohio beats florida by more than three, does that mean that um really should have been the #2 team?
No because there is nothing to say that UM would do as well or better than they did the first time.

UF deserves a shot.

so, if florida loses by a touchdown or two, you think they should still be ranked #2 above UM?

It depends on how well Michigan plays against USC.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: December 04, 2006, 11:21:04 PM »
Look at Rutgers's schedule for next year:

Home Games: WVU, Cinci, USF, Pitt, Buffalo, Norfolk State, Navy, Maryland
Away: Cuse, UConn, Louisville, and ?

Barring a real surprise with the one other away game, I think we only have to worry about Louisville, considering any other team that gives us a challenge will be at home where we were undefeated this season and have a good record otherwise. And the animosity in the air for the first two home games I mentioned will figure in majorly.

And BTW, I can't wait till OSU pummels UF and Mich pummels USC to prove that these bowl games need to be about the best teams and not the best interests of whiners or sponsors.

h2xblive

« Reply #3542 on: December 04, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »
Look at Rutgers's schedule for next year:

Home Games: WVU, Cinci, USF, Pitt, Buffalo, Norfolk State, Navy, Maryland
Away: Cuse, UConn, Louisville, and ?

Barring a real surprise with the one other away game, I think we only have to worry about Louisville, considering any other team that gives us a challenge will be at home where we were undefeated this season and have a good record otherwise. And the animosity in the air for the first two home games I mentioned will figure in majorly.

And BTW, I can't wait till OSU pummels UF and Mich pummels USC to prove that these bowl games need to be about the best teams and not the best interests of whiners or sponsors.

The national championship isn't about about the best two teams, it's about the most deserving - at least that's how I look at it.

People are ok with NCAA basketball and how they pick their final two teams (which are rarely the true best two teams in the country); I don't think football has to be different.

And for the record, I don't understand how anyone can say for sure that Michigan is better than Florida.

Isn't USC better than Oregon State or UCLA?  Apparently not.

Didn't people say Ohio State wouldn't be able to handle Miami's speed and overall superior play for the 2002 national title?  Who won that game, by the way?

props ii

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: December 04, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »
let's face it. NO ONE KNOWS DEFINITIVELY WHO'S BETTER.

we can guess, conjecture, hypothesize, estimate, and assume all we want, but how can you compare UF and UM?

both are deserving. only one gets a spot. lou holtz said it well when he said (paraphrasing) that he could give a number of reasons florida deserved it and a number of reasons michigan deserved it. however, he couldn't give any good reasons why florida deserved it over michigan or why michigan deserved it over florida.

this is the system. it's how it works.
Quote from: Chica
You're f-ing adorable.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:36 AM »
let's face it. NO ONE KNOWS DEFINITIVELY WHO'S BETTER.

we can guess, conjecture, hypothesize, estimate, and assume all we want, but how can you compare UF and UM?

both are deserving. only one gets a spot. lou holtz said it well when he said (paraphrasing) that he could give a number of reasons florida deserved it and a number of reasons michigan deserved it. however, he couldn't give any good reasons why florida deserved it over michigan or why michigan deserved it over florida.

this is the system. it's how it works.

I have a good reason that UF deserves it more than UM. 
UM and OSU played already and UM lost.
So, we KNOW OSU is better than UM, but we do not KNOW how UF will fare.
Thus, UF is more deserving of a chance to dethrone OSU rather than UM getting a second chance to dethrone OSU.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: December 05, 2006, 01:52:04 AM »
UM is not the second best team in the country.

Who do you think is?

I meant, It isnt the clearly second best team in the country.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: December 05, 2006, 01:52:28 AM »
only people that wanted to see a rematch are big 10 folks.  And yes Wisconsin does play us

Soooo not true. I couldn't care less about the Big 10 conference or the SEC or whatever the hell Florida is in, I just think Michigan got royally screwed. It's about fairness, plain and simple, and Michigan got robbed.

Does anyone else see a "hey, we were REALLY the national champions" à la USC in '03 (*pukes*), if osu goes down to florida?

Michigan gets royally screwed because it doesn't get a rematch?  ::)

TITCR

Ever

« Reply #3547 on: December 05, 2006, 04:14:52 AM »
There will be a settling of accounts.

USC will beat Michigan.
Florida will beat OSU.
Wisconsin will beat Arkansas.
Nebraska will beat Auburn.
LSU will beat Notre Dame.
Oklahoma will beat Boise by a baby's breath.
Texas A&M will beat California.
Texas will lose to Iowa.

It's going to happen. Just watch.

Oh, and by the way, the National Championship Game has been moved to Jan. 1st 8/7c on Fox.

Ever

« Reply #3548 on: December 05, 2006, 04:37:46 AM »
There will be a settling of accounts.

USC will beat Michigan.
Florida will beat OSU.
Wisconsin will beat Arkansas.
Nebraska will beat Auburn.
LSU will beat Notre Dame.
Oklahoma will beat Boise by a baby's breath.
Texas A&M will beat California.
Texas will lose to Iowa.

It's going to happen. Just watch.

Oh, and by the way, the National Championship Game has been moved to Jan. 1st 8/7c on Fox.

The 1st?!?!?

Why? 

;)

---

Quote of the year:

Mon October 9, 2006
Forget conference title
This year’s Big 12 championship won’t include Sooners even if they win out
By John Helsley
The Oklahoman

Give it up, you most optimistic of Sooner fans.

Abandon the crimson shades, yes, so soon, lest you welcome further disappointment in a season that’s already delivered an Oregon takeaway and a Texas takedown.

Your team won’t re-enter the Big 12 title chase. Not this year.

Not even by winning out. Don’t bother doing the math; feasible as your formula might seem.

Besides, winning out? Shoot, winning outside of Norman is a challenge at this point.

Which brings us to the next major moment in OU’s schedule: Oct. 28 at Missouri.

The Tigers, at 6-0, are daring to rise above their underachieving past. Don’t look now, but Mizzou climbed above the Sooners in this week’s polls.

So the Sooners have three weeks — and two accommodatingly weak foes in Iowa State and Colorado — to brace themselves for their next big game.

It’s clearly get-well time at OU.

“It’s really simple,” Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. “We’ve played one conference game.

“That’s it. So we’ve got a big part of the season here in front of us, all Big 12 games.”

And it was — and is — a setback.

Even in a perfect-down-the-stretch world to get the Sooners to 10-2, the Longhorns essentially own a two-game lead over OU in the South.

And what two teams can take down Texas?

Go ahead and schedule Dec. 2 for any non-football activity. Hang the Christmas lights. Hit the mall.

The Big 12 championship game is on for Kansas City, but you won’t be needed.

Ever

« Reply #3549 on: December 05, 2006, 04:43:40 AM »
Fiesta Bowl
Oklahoma v. Boise

Trash talk.  :D