Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 197138 times)

Ever

Re: College Football
« Reply #2450 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »
@#!* Sweatervest.

That is all.

Hehe.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2451 on: August 14, 2006, 09:42:21 PM »
@#!* Sweatervest.

That is all.

Seconded
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

h2xblive

« Reply #2452 on: August 15, 2006, 07:47:34 PM »
I really agree with the points about overtime and fight songs.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #2453 on: August 15, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »
Obviously, I like #14 about Paterno.

A few things I don't like about college football:

1. Conference Championship Games: The Big 12 championship game is usually a joke, and the ACC conference championship game allowed an underachieving Florida State team to make it to a BCS game despite having 4 losses. FSU held their own in the Orange Bowl, but VT played much better all year except for that last game.

2. ND is still an independent: stop being greedy and join a conference already...you'd roll through the Big East and make it to a BCS game every year

3. Playoff: top 4 teams, play them off. Then you wouldn't have undefeated teams left out of the championship hunt. Two weeks worth of games wouldn't extend the season to some ridiculous length.

Ever

« Reply #2454 on: August 15, 2006, 10:12:01 PM »
4. The postseason
That's right. I'm defending the BCS. Well, not exactly. I'm defending the lack of a playoff. Better yet, I'm going to let West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez defend it for me.

"In Division I [-A] football, every game is a playoff," Rodriguez said. "Once you lose one game, you're mostly out. If you lose two, you're definitely out. We got 12 playoff games. Teams take that approach. That's probably why there's so much interest. You stub your toe, you can never get back in it."

Those ugly December games when Peyton Manning plays one series and sits out, as if it were August? In college football, games in August are played as if they're in December.

BOOO! BCS BLOWS!

Everything else was right on; even the other bowl games.

matts720

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #2455 on: August 15, 2006, 11:27:47 PM »
Maisel is kind of right though about it, every game counts in college football. Imagine if for a college football playoff, you only had to win your conference to get a bid. Say Ohio State is 10-0 and already has the conference locked up with only the Michigan game left. Say Tressel decides to sit his starters for the Michigan game to prevent injuries. Doesn't it just kill the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry since one team isn't really trying? (Though with how that rivalry has been going, that scenario might be the only way Lloyd Carr can beat Jim Tressel.)
Villanova 1L Class of 2009. Invading the Main Line in August.

Ever

« Reply #2456 on: August 16, 2006, 02:09:26 AM »
The solution I'd like to see would retain the current ranking system, but rather than just taking the top two teams it would take the top 4. #1 playing #4, #2 playing #3 (or #1 playing #3, not sure yet) and the two winning teams would then play each other for the National Title.

It would mean more games so the schools get more money and it would end any possibility of there being dual champions; no one could female dog that one team was screwed. Every game would still count because you have to excel to be in that top 4, but it would give teams like Auburn the chance to actually fight for the title instead of being screwed over like they were a few years ago. There would be a single undisputed winner at the end of it all and the two losing teams could fight it out for third in one of the other bowl games. You could have the 3rd place game played in the last year's Championship stadium and you could keep the current bowls. They’d have to alter the schedule a little bit, just subtract a single week from the off period, but I think it could work out very well. Hell you could kick off the bowl season by playing the two playoff games and then finish it with the championship.

Granted it could lead to #1 being beaten by #4, but that’s part of the excitement. 

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2457 on: August 17, 2006, 11:15:43 AM »
Sorry for not replying about the lsu fans, ive been out of town.  Ill write about that later today. 

Football seasons almost here now...i can feel it.

Ever

« Reply #2458 on: August 17, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »
Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So close!

h2xblive

« Reply #2459 on: August 18, 2006, 09:20:21 AM »
Any of you all read the WSJ article today rating college football programs in regard to producing the best NFL players?

FSU was #1
UF was #2
Miami was #7 (that's right, Chica)