Law School Discussion

College Football

h2xblive

Re: College Football
« Reply #4540 on: June 29, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
I think the PAC-10 is going to show the world why it is actually the best conference this year... except when USC loses at home to Ohio State  ;D

I'm expecting Neuheisel magic from UCLA.

USC loses to OSU, yet the Pac-10 is a better conference than the SEC or Big 12?

Perhaps I can't see your sarcasm or football wit.

It goes like this:

OSU is going to be the best team in the country this year. They weren't supposed to be that good last year and still made it to the title game.

The PAC-10 is always underrated, just like the SEC is always overrated. Whereas pro football has an east coast bias, college football has a Southern bias.

So the "best team in the country" (OSU) beating the best team (USC) in an underrated conference (Pac -10) results in the Pac-10 being the best conference this season?   ???

No No No...  The PAC-10 is underrated because it has really good programs like UCLA, Cal, Oregon and ASU that go unappreciated each year. Often they start off unranked in the preseason polls and have to work their way into the polls as the season progresses. This is in contrast to Big 12 and SEC teams, who are often, as Denny Green might say, 'crowned' before the season even begins, and then fall off the face of the earth a few games into the season (see Texas the past few years).

I don't think of those teams as being under-appreciated, last year especially.  If anything, those teams started off strong (well, except UCLA) then tapered off late in the season.

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:12 PM »
I think the PAC-10 is going to show the world why it is actually the best conference this year... except when USC loses at home to Ohio State  ;D

It goes like this:

OSU is going to be the best team in the country this year. They weren't supposed to be that good last year and still made it to the title game.

The PAC-10 is always underrated, just like the SEC is always overrated. Whereas pro football has an east coast bias, college football has a Southern bias.

So the "best team in the country" (OSU) beating the best team (USC) in an underrated conference (Pac -10) results in the Pac-10 being the best conference this season?   ???

No No No...  The PAC-10 is underrated because it has really good programs like UCLA, Cal, Oregon and ASU that go unappreciated each year. Often they start off unranked in the preseason polls and have to work their way into the polls as the season progresses. This is in contrast to Big 12 and SEC teams, who are often, as Denny Green might say, 'crowned' before the season even begins, and then fall off the face of the earth a few games into the season (see Texas the past few years).

I don't think of those teams as being under-appreciated, last year especially.  If anything, those teams started off strong (well, except UCLA) then tapered off late in the season.

It's a little deceiving becuz Cal and especially Oregon were destroyed by injuries.

h2xblive

« Reply #4542 on: June 30, 2008, 04:54:31 AM »

It goes like this:

It's a little deceiving becuz Cal and especially Oregon were destroyed by injuries.

So was WVU - if it weren't for an injured White in the Pittsburgh game, WVU would probably have won the national title last season (assuming they had to play OSU).

And honestly, Berkeley was "destroyed" due to the inability to throw the ball away/spike the ball. :D

« Reply #4543 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:46 AM »
THere's no way GA wins it all this year, no freaking way

jsia

carry on

h2xblive

« Reply #4544 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »
THere's no way GA wins it all this year, no freaking way

jsia

carry on

I think many share your sentiment, however could you see Georgia winning the BCS National Championship with maybe 1 loss?

« Reply #4545 on: July 01, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »
I dont think they pull of a one loss season, but even if they did, I dont think they will win the SEC. 

h2xblive

« Reply #4546 on: July 01, 2008, 04:51:14 AM »
I dont think they pull of a one loss season, but even if they did, I dont think they will win the SEC. 

Who will win the SEC if Georgia has 1 loss?

« Reply #4547 on: July 01, 2008, 05:36:58 AM »
My best guess is Florida, you?

« Reply #4548 on: July 01, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »
I hadnt even checked any preseason polls or been keeping up.  I guess me picking UGA wasnt exactly going out on a limb... the poll I checked has them #1... oops.

Good lord the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party will be insane this year if both teams take care of business.

I thought we weren't allowed to call it that anymore...

h2xblive

« Reply #4549 on: July 01, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
I hadnt even checked any preseason polls or been keeping up.  I guess me picking UGA wasnt exactly going out on a limb... the poll I checked has them #1... oops.

Good lord the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party will be insane this year if both teams take care of business.

I thought we weren't allowed to call it that anymore...

We?  Maybe the media, but not I.

And yes, insanity will ensue if both teams are undefeated by the time of the WLOCP, but I'm not counting on it.