Law School Discussion

College Football

Re: College Football
« Reply #4510 on: April 21, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »
I don't want to look for a link, but essentially DeShawn Stevenson (a minor NBA roleplayer for the Wizards) called Lebron James overrated, and James refused to respond, saying that answering the insult would be like Jay Z responding to an insult from Soldier Boy (or Soldia Boy?) I'm not really sure who this Soldier/Soldia is because I don't really follow these things, but I get the impression he is some sort of one hit wonder or something?

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: April 21, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Definitely go to a game in the Swamp (or any of the big SEC stadiums) if you get the chance.. although I'm not sure how fired up everybody will be for Hawaii.

People will be more fired up than they are for the other whipping boy teams since it is the season opener...

That, and remember all the *&^% talk between June Jones and Colt Brennan toward Tim Tebow during Heisman week?

But neither are at Hawaii now.

Oh I know - but I still think Florida would absolutely love to crush them.

h2xblive

« Reply #4512 on: April 21, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »
Definitely go to a game in the Swamp (or any of the big SEC stadiums) if you get the chance.. although I'm not sure how fired up everybody will be for Hawaii.

People will be more fired up than they are for the other whipping boy teams since it is the season opener...

That, and remember all the *&^% talk between June Jones and Colt Brennan toward Tim Tebow during Heisman week?

But neither are at Hawaii now.

Oh I know - but I still think Florida would absolutely love to crush them.

Oh we would, but I think that seeing how badly UGA beat them, will be a motivating factor too. 

If we win by less than 10, it will be about as embarrassing as our Michigan loss, in my opinion.

Brutus "The Buckeye" Beefcake

• No relation to Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: April 21, 2008, 10:36:57 PM »
SEC teams always beat each other up, so even though the last two years the SEC has won it all, it often works out that none of them get to the national title game as a result.

Of the ten title games since the BCS started, the SEC has been in the title game four times.

Compare this to the easy path a certain Big Ten team had last year and will have this coming year.

I wouldn't call an early road game at USC that easy.

1) Until 2 years ago, the SEC had only been twice.
2) I totally forgot we play USC this year. That should be up there with the biggest early season College Football games of all time.

h2xblive

« Reply #4514 on: April 22, 2008, 04:23:33 AM »
1) Until 2 years ago, the SEC had only been twice.
2) I totally forgot we play USC this year. That should be up there with the biggest early season College Football games of all time.

1. Pretty selective choosing. So what? An SEC team got in last year with two losses. 4 out of 20 (teams, not years) is above-average (and 2 out of 16 isn't terrible either) for the BCS conferences. '04 Auburn is the only legit gripe the SEC should have about the BCS.

2. Yeah, I guess it makes up for scheduling Youngstown State, Ohio, and Troy. Why do the Big 11 and SEC teams keep playing such joke teams?

Big 10: I don't know.  While I think OSU is a joke team, I'll give them credit for playing at last one good out of conference team the past few years (USC and Texas).

SEC: It's because we have a tough conference

The SEC has a tremendous amount of respect right now, with the Pac 10 and Big East gaining at least a little respect, although the Big 10 and ACC are losing respect.  Given the above, I don't see the SEC scheduling stronger out of conference teams anytime soon.

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: April 22, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »

The SEC has a tremendous amount of respect right now, with the Pac 10 and Big East gaining at least a little respect, although the Big 10 and ACC are losing respect.  Given the above, I don't see the SEC scheduling stronger out of conference teams anytime soon.

You realize this is a joke argument, right? Not to mention Auburn got hosed out of the title game four years ago because they played Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Tech, and the Citadel. You'd think lesson learned.

I'm not saying you should play three powerhouses, but the I-AA teams have gotta stop (sorry Michigan). I mean really, the Citadel (who Florida plays this year)?

Hey, cupcake scheduling helped Hawaii get to the BCS...

The Artist

• View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: April 22, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
Hey, cupcake scheduling helped Hawaii get to the BCS...

Also kept them out of the title game in favor of a two-loss team.

You win this round Rambis...

h2xblive

« Reply #4517 on: April 22, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »

You realize this is a joke argument, right? Not to mention Auburn got hosed out of the title game four years ago because they played Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Tech, and the Citadel. You'd think lesson learned.

I'm not saying you should play three powerhouses, but the I-AA teams have gotta stop (sorry Michigan). I mean really, the Citadel (who Florida plays this year)?

I have already addressed this argument...implicitly.

Yes, in the past/hindsight, Auburn should have played better out of conference teams.  Back then, the SEC didn't have the reputation is does now, and SEC still didn't schedule many strong out of conference teams.  Now, with a HUGE reputation and the benefit of the doubt, you think SEC teams will schedule any strong out of conference teams?  Well, they still might, but not any more than in the past.

The Artist

• View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: April 22, 2008, 05:13:54 PM »
Rambis is right. You rarely see 1-AA cupcake scheduling in the Pac-10. In each of USC's title wins they had a difficult schedule along the way, including out of conference (in each of their seasons they played an SEC team OOC if I'm not mistaken). Last year Auburn played South Florida OOC... and they lost. Considering how inconsistent LSU was last year, playing an ASU or Rutgers instead of Tulane/Louisiana Tech could have kept them out of the national championship game (I still maintain they didn't deserve to be there anyway).

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: June 27, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
Gah, I can't wait two more months.

And I can't find anything decent for the Georgia-Florida game. Is 300 too much to pay for *&^% seats?