Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Common Plan to Violate the Geneva Conventions  (Read 11161 times)

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: The Common Plan to Violate the Geneva Conventions
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »
The laws you state are someone's morality.

The Bible pretty clearly indicates how he made man...
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

jgruber

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2004, 05:10:53 PM »
The laws you state are someone's morality.

The Bible pretty clearly indicates how he made man...

not necessarily someone's morality.  Are you suggesting that no one takes advantage of the legislative process for immmoral purposes?

buster

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2004, 05:21:48 PM »
And why are nihilism and your traditional conception of "God" the only possibilities? Please elaborate.

The end is nihilism (life is meaningless) and it is the only possible conclusion apart from God.

Why are the big bang and evolution mutually exclusive with believing in God?  I have no trouble with the idea that evolution may be a correct theory and that my belief in God is true.  Who can say what tools God used and uses?

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2004, 06:02:29 PM »
It doesn't have to be the traditional concept of God...just a supreme being.  Without a supreme being nihilism is the only other possiblity.

Basically if we came from nothing (i.e. Big Bang), then we are nothing, everything is nothing, which is meaningless.  Whether we live or die does not matter; we all exist (or do we?) on a planet that will eventually die in a universe that will eventually die.  At least that's what our science tells us, which we cannot trust because we understand it using senses that evolved through random chance.  Relativity tells us that we must have a relative point to measure from or we make no sense.  We have no point except that which we believe in.  You either have faith in a nice supreme being (that always exists) or you have faith that everything came from nothing, literally.

But if everything came from nothing your faith must go farther because you must believe that all the random chemical combinations came together to form something that could understand those combinations.  Or you might say nothing now understands nothing...

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2004, 06:31:23 PM »
so this dude was walking through the forest, when he noticed a couple of tigers.  He took off running, and they chased him.  He ran to a cliff's edge with the tigers right behind him.  He slipped off the edge and clutched onto a scrubby plant.  He looked 1000 feet below, and noticed 10 tigers pacing, waiting for him to fall he looked up and the two tiger were licking their chops.  Then he noticed he was holding onto a strawberry plant.  What did he do? He ate a strawberry.

This *&^% is not nihilism, it is enlightenment.

The fact that I'm a living, breathing, walking molecule does not diminish meaning in my life at all.
it's coming...

buster

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »
Say someone believes that if they live a virtuous life (i.e. treat others with respect and do good in the world) then their life is not meaningless regardless of whether or not there is a supreme being. Is that not valid?

It doesn't have to be the traditional concept of God...just a supreme being. 

Basically if we came from nothing (i.e. Big Bang), then we are nothing, everything is nothing, which is meaningless.  Whether we live or die does not matter; we all exist (or do we?) on a planet that will eventually die in a universe that will eventually die.  At least that's what our science tells us, which we cannot trust because we understand it using senses that evolved through random chance.  Relativity tells us that we must have a relative point to measure from or we make no sense.  We have no point except that which we believe in.  You either have faith in a nice supreme being (that always exists) or you have faith that everything came from nothing, literally.

But if everything came from nothing your faith must go farther because you must believe that all the random chemical combinations came together to form something that could understand those combinations.  Or you might say nothing now understands nothing...

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2004, 05:34:16 PM »
You may believe whatever you want; but if you really find a foundation for your beliefs then and only then does anything have meaning.

Oh regarding the tigers, why not throw the strawberry to the tigers in hopes they eat it instead of you?  Why not try to find a solution rather than simply trying to enjoy a shorter life?  The attitude of eating a strawberry while everything falls apart around you is suicide and if you don't believe in an after-life then suicide is the last thing you'd want to do because you're throwing away the only life you'll ever have.  It boils down to the belief that everything is hopeless and that hurts my heart. 

buster

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2004, 07:33:43 PM »
What is the foundation for your beliefs?

If it's faith, then how is that any different?
If it's the Bible, then if someone wrote a book about the beliefs I described, and lots of people read it and agreed with what it had to say, would those beliefs then be meaningful?

You may believe whatever you want; but if you really find a foundation for your beliefs then and only then and only then does anything have meaning.

bobfett33

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2004, 09:26:44 PM »

The Bible pretty clearly indicates how ["god"] made man...

Oh, PLEASE!  "God" blew into some dust?  Gag me.  That wasn't written by a supreme being - it was written by a dude who didn't have the slightest f-ing clue of how man ever came to exist.  Please tell me that you don't honestly believe "Noah" gathered a male and female of EVERY species (except the unicorns?) onto his ark to escape the flood.  Please, oh, please, oh, please...

jgruber

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2004, 09:32:50 PM »
It is a story.  You can chose to believe it literally, but I don't and my church teaches that it is not literally true.  The truth that it conveys is that God imbued (wo)man with his/her spirit.

The Bible pretty clearly indicates how ["god"] made man...

Oh, PLEASE!  "God" blew into some dust?  Gag me.  That wasn't written by a supreme being - it was written by a dude who didn't have the slightest f-ing clue of how man ever came to exist.  Please tell me that you don't honestly believe "Noah" gathered a male and female of EVERY species (except the unicorns?) onto his ark to escape the flood.  Please, oh, please, oh, please...