Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Common Plan to Violate the Geneva Conventions  (Read 10997 times)

jgruber

Re: The Common Plan to Violate the Geneva Conventions
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2004, 03:58:50 PM »
As for the other posts, sarcasm?  Don’t waste my time.

I guess you missed the point.  How can you know that Israel and the Arabs will never live in peace short of a crystal ball.  You assume too much.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2004, 06:39:35 PM »
You don't have to believe the Bible, but it's the most reliable, fascinating book ever. 

Though it proves nothing I'll throw the following in support: No other book has been read by more people, no other book has caused as much controversy, no other ancient book is as accurate (word for word even more accurate than Shakespeare’s plays which are much more recent); they have found the city of Jericho and many other sites mentioned in the Bible and I already told you it predicted Israel becoming a nation again.  So I guess you could say I assume since it’s been right in the past that it will hold true in the future.  My belief is stronger than that, but even if that were all I had it’d be no different than driving down the road and assuming that the motorist will yield the right of way, even though they have been known to fail even in that.  http://faculty.goucher.edu/writingprogram/which_shakespeare_would_you_trust.htm

It's a well-established fact that many of the disciples were martyred when denouncing Christ would've prevented that.  If they knew he did not rise from the dead, then they died for what they knew to be a lie.  But they did not denounce Christ to save their necks; they died, for what they knew to be true.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

jgruber

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2004, 07:44:32 PM »
Are you sure no other book has been read by more people?  How do you establish that?  How do you establish that it is the most reliable?  How do you measure its reliablity?

I think you are offering your articles of faith as incontestable fact.

You don't have to believe the Bible, but it's the most reliable, fascinating book ever. 

Though it proves nothing I'll throw the following in support: No other book has been read by more people, no other book has caused as much controversy, no other ancient book is as accurate (word for word even more accurate than Shakespeare’s plays which are much more recent); they have found the city of Jericho and many other sites mentioned in the Bible and I already told you it predicted Israel becoming a nation again.  So I guess you could say I assume since it’s been right in the past that it will hold true in the future.  My belief is stronger than that, but even if that were all I had it’d be no different than driving down the road and assuming that the motorist will yield the right of way, even though they have been known to fail even in that. 

It's a well-established fact that many of the disciples were martyred when denouncing Christ would've prevented that.  If they knew he did not rise from the dead, then they died for what they knew to be a lie.  But they did not denounce Christ to save their necks; they died, for what they knew to be true.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2004, 03:44:21 AM »
me and my homies in high school had a penthouse forum, that just might have been read more than the bible.

I ching anyone?

I bet the directions to motorola cell phones have been read more than the bible, though they may or may not have been more accurate, I've never read them.
it's coming...

buster

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2004, 09:22:05 AM »
More accurate than works of fiction!

no other ancient book is as accurate (word for word even more accurate than Shakespeare’s plays which are much more recent)

bobfett33

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2004, 02:15:41 AM »
Well, looks like people got to a couple of zingers before I could, but for what it's worth, I wanted to say that comparing the Bible to Shakespear is apt, because they are both works of fiction.  Furthermore, I read a Dean Koontz book in high school that talked about the Fun Zone in Newport Beach!  And, then I went to Newport Beach, and holy *&^%, there was a real f-in' Fun Zone there, with the same rides Koontz had described!  If "truths" like this is a sign that a book is true, then *&^% man, we've all got to be watching our backs for little devil dolls that come to life.

Also, the "instructions for use" "book" that comes with a box of condoms has likely been read more often than the Bible...

And, finally, please keep in mind that when we're talking about biblical prophecies that have "come true" (i.e. "Israel becoming a nation again"), we need to remember that this could just as easily be the result of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Certainly, as has been said, the Bible has been read by lots and lots of people, and many millions of those people have felt the need to believe those words with all their hearts.  And, I have no doubt that any of the biblical prophecies that have been fulfilled can be attributed to that fanatical belief, and not to the idea that some magic man upstairs wrote the script to our show.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2004, 04:38:47 AM »
Posted by: bobfett33

Insert Quote

Also, the "instructions for use" "book" that comes with a box of condoms has likely been read more often than the Bible...

Never read that *&^%, it is a sin to use a condom, silly.
it's coming...

jgruber

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2004, 09:24:08 AM »
I believe the Bible to be the truth, as a whole.  Does that mean that every word is literaly and exactly true?  No.  When Jesus told his parables, they were stories to illustrate a point.  The point or moral of his story is true, but it is still a story.

The Bible is widely read and the most widely published book in the history of printing in the western world.

Is it the most read book?  I dunno.  I might be.  The Koran might be.  I dunno.

That does not diminish its message.  If it were the most widely read book, that would not enhance its message.  If I were the only person to ever read it, its truth would be just as strong as if everyone on the planet read it.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2004, 02:34:11 PM »
Yes I know it is the most widely read book ever (should I say "of all time" to clarify that I mean by people both living and dead?), you said it it's the most published and it's hundreds of years older than the Koran (some parts thousands).  You don't continue to publish a book for hundreds of years if there is no demand for more copies. Reading this a year later, I can hardly fathom that people argue against this point.

As far as Shakespeare’s plays I was simply comparing the percentage of differences in the translations.  The differences in Biblical translations are rarely more than punctuation errors.  The Bible is like the periodic table; everything seems to fall into place the more you study it.  The first time I read it I found dozens of seemingly glaring contradictions and there are still a few I don't understand, but most have been explained, enough in fact, that I have faith the others will fall into place when I need to understand them.

I believe the Bible to be the truth, as a whole.  Does that mean that every word is literaly and exactly true?  No.  When Jesus told his parables, they were stories to illustrate a point.  The point or moral of his story is true, but it is still a story.

The Bible is widely read and the most widely published book in the history of printing in the western world.

That does not diminish its message.  If it were the most widely read book, that would not enhance its message.  If I were the only person to ever read it, its truth would be just as strong as if everyone on the planet read it.

I agree with your take on truth.  If you'll notice I put out my arguments in support of my beliefs, not as proof.  Certainly I never meant to argue against your take on parables.

As far as the self-fulfilling prophecy...do I need to point out that if the holocaust had never happened there would never be an Israel today?  I hardly think they planned the holocaust.  Events moved beyond any one nation's control, let alone an individual's.  Most often prophecy is fulfilled in a way that men would not go about fulfilling it.

I have to admit you gents are sharp, you attack the basis for all my arguments rather than addressing them piece meal.  So I'll do the same. 

What it the basis for your moral objections to the prisoner abuse?  That It's illegal simply, doesn't cut it, laws are morality enforced.  If you don't believe in the Bible, do you believe in a supreme being at all?  If not, where did we come from?  If so, then the Bible is a very good explanation; the more you study it the more you realize that a supreme being must have had something to do with its writing.

If you support the theory of evolution and the big bang, then we are here by chance alone, something came from nothing is taken on faith (same faith that says God always existed).  Our thoughts, and emotions are electronic impulses that evolved over millions of years, and they have no meaning, they are there by chance.  We can't really know anything for certain because we have no way of measuring anything except through our senses and we cannot test them except by someone else's senses which also evolved over millions of years.  Why do you think so many of those great philosophers committed suicide?  The end is nihilism (life is meaningless) and it is the only possible conclusion apart from God. In fact, life apart from God is meaningless regardless if you believe in him.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

jgruber

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »
Yes I know it is the most widely read book ever (should I say "of all time" to clarify that I mean by people both living and dead?), you said it it's the most published and it's hundreds of years older than the Koran (some parts thousands).  You don't continue to publish a book for hundreds of years if there is no demand for more copies.
As far as Shakespeare’s plays I was simply comparing the percentage of differences in the translations.  The differences in Biblical translations are rarely more than punctuation errors.  The Bible is like the periodic table; everything seems to fall into place the more you study it.  The first time I read it I found dozens of seemingly glaring contradictions and there are still a few I don't understand, but most have been explained, enough in fact that I have faith the others will fall into place when I need to understand them.

it is widely read and been published for centuries, but that doesn't mean it is the most widely read book.  but it's not really an important point.

I agree with your take on truth.  If you'll notice I put out my arguments in support of my beliefs, not as proof.  Certainly I never meant argue against your take on parables.

As far as the self-fulfilling prophecy...do I need to point out that if the holocaust had never happened there would never be an Israel today?  I hardly think they planned the holocaust.  Events moved beyond control by any one nation, let alone an individual.  Most often prophecy is fulfilled in a way that men would not go about fulfilling it.

I have to admit you gents are sharp, you attack the basis for all my arguments rather than addressing them piece meal.  So I'll do the same. 

What it the basis for your moral objections to the prisoner abuse?  That It's illegal simply, doesn't cut it, laws are morality enforced.

Laws may be morailty enforced.  That is the intention of some, but not all legislators.
Slave laws?  Forced strelization laws?

If you support the theory of evolution and the big bang, then we are here by chance alone, something came from nothing is taken on faith (same faith that says God always existed).  Our thoughts, and emotions are electronic impulses that evolved over millions of years, and they have no meaning, they are there by chance.  We can't really know anything for certain because we have no way of measuring anything except through our senses and we cannot test them except by someone else's senses which also evolved over millions of years.  Why do you think so many of those great philosophers committedsuicide?  The end is nihilism (life is meaningless) and it is the only possible conclusion apart from God.

Why are the big bang and evolution mutually exclusive with believing in God?  I have no trouble with the idea that evolution may be a correct theory and that my belief in God is true.  Who can say what tools God used and uses?