Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: umm...Muslims?  (Read 19713 times)

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
Re: umm...Muslims?
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2005, 07:15:59 PM »
In the middle east, Muslims fight with Jew and Christians.  Go a little to the west, and they are fighting with Hindus.  Go all around the world, and you will see that Muslims are fighting in the name of God much more than any other faith.  Since there are no Christian nations left to speak of, I think it would be hard to say that they are hating in that sence.
hilljack, before making such a simplistic generalization, you have to study as to why it "seems" that muslims are "fighting in the name of God"..more so than other groups..could it be that Muslim countries are by far the most "occupied" by foreign forces of whatever country it might be. In every religion fighting against occupation is a viable means and more or less Christianity, Judaism and Islam all preach that God is on your side when you oppose persecution and occupation. Fighting in the name of God is not a new phenomena, Kingdon of Heaven is coming out very soon on the Crusades. Very accurate depiction from what I hear. This has been a part of human history for the most part . And their are COUNTLESS groups today, Muslim and non Muslim througout the world that claim to be fighting in the name of God, go ask the IRA in Ireland what they are fighting for...
UCLA 1L.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2005, 07:34:34 PM »
I never meant to imply that one religion has a monopoly on killing members of other religions.  I just meant to say that it is my impression that Jews and Muslims and Christians and Muslims fight with or hate each other more than Christians and Jews.

And as far as the middle east is concerned, I realize that it is not just a we beleive in different things war, but the fact is that it is a war between people who are split by religion.  I have not read extensively on this subject, bu the one good source I have is Thomas Friedman's The Lexus and the Olive Tree.  The book is actually about globalization and the new global economy, but Friedman studied Middle Eastern studies in college, was a correspondent for the NY Times, and understands the situation from every possible angle.  He basically says that the mindset of the Jews and the Palestinian is that if they lose their Holy Land, they lose themselves.  It is page 32 if anyone wants to check it out.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2005, 07:40:27 PM »
how is it that the Palestinians feel that they'd lose themselves?  The other muslims in the region certainly are doing just fine w/o the Israel land.  And I doubt jews would lose themselves either.  Jew were still jews before 1948. 

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2005, 07:45:54 PM »
I was refering to those Jews or Palestinians who would be under some control of the other group.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2005, 07:47:31 PM »
no one should be under control of anyone.  Every people needs a home.  Jews need a home, frankly we'v seen what the world has in store for Jews.  Palestinians need a home..  actually weren't they given one several times?

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2005, 07:58:25 PM »
I guess it would be nice to see Jews and Palestinians share the Holy Land, but who are we kidding, this fight will never end.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2005, 08:03:27 PM »
it will end..  I am usually very pessimistic, but in this case I am very confident.  Israel will disengage to maintain a jewish majority because it's biggest threat isn't geographic - it's demographic.

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2005, 08:13:04 PM »
are we going to start a palest./israeli discussion? :D
peaceful coexistence is a possibilty and the only one at that...i'll leave it at that before i get drawn in any deeper...
UCLA 1L.

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2005, 08:15:13 PM »
for anyone that wants a good read...Middle East Illusions by Chomsky is a great balanced approach...
UCLA 1L.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »
lol Chomsky is NOT balanced.  His idea of a viable solution for the  middle east is to make 1 big country where all the jews coexist w/ all the palestinians in 1 democratic state.