Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: umm...Muslims?  (Read 19732 times)

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
Re: umm...Muslims?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 04:48:14 PM »
URM is any under represented minority - it doesnt have to be an ethnicity.  I think being muslim would definitely qualify.

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 04:50:30 PM »
Really??

Wow...I just figured they would do everything they could to keep religion out of the game...

well good to know...

thanks
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 04:52:15 PM »
I don't think Islam is the only religion that believes that a human's soul belongs to God (or body for that matter).  I think Judaism says pretty much the exact same thing.

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 04:55:30 PM »
yes thats how monotheism generally works...
I have taken a judaism class, but in no way am i an expert on the issue ofcourse, you may know better than I do on the issue

Islam means submission to God...thats it. The same God as is in Judaism

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 04:57:10 PM »
well Catholicism is monotheistic, but they don't believe that your soul belongs to God when you're born.. don't you become a Christian when you get baptised?  And that also is supposed to clear one of the original sin.

I'm no expert there either.

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »
Well, from some of the orthodox Jewish people I used to chill with first year university, alot of them didn't believe catholicism was monotheistic because of the "father, son, holy Ghost"

I have also taken christianity, and I have a few Bibles, I just haven't had time to study it properly.

But yes, your baptism does clear your original sin as far as I remember...

Muslims don't believe in original sin.  Adam and Eve were equally responsible for what happened, and giving birth is a blessing because mothers are 3 times more entitled to respect and love from their children than the fathers.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »
I hear ya on both points.  Catholics themselves say they are monotheistic.. the holy trinity certainly takes something away from the 1 true god that jews and muslims believe.. at least I think so.

ditto for jews on the original sin.  Jews believe that humans are born free of sin, and if man sins it is because he is not a perfect being, unlike christianity which teaches that he is inherently evil.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 05:11:11 PM »
Catholicism beleives that there is but one God with three separate parts; Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost.  Yet each of these parts is God, all in the same, but different.

Confusing? Yes. 

Two thousands years of debate and scholarship still hasn't really cleared this one up.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

la-man

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need some gel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »
interesting how two of you are going to Cardozo and Catholic U of Am....now only if we had a Muslim Law school we'd have it all...
UCLA 1L.

Alamss

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 10:53:16 PM »
I am a Muslim, but I didn't convert, I am a born one. Ethnically Pakistani.