Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: umm...Muslims?  (Read 19665 times)

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: umm...Muslims?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 05:42:43 PM »
Al queda

The Sudanese

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2005, 05:45:47 PM »
Bush is a religious Christian. Bush is at war for BS reasons.  But Christian beliefs isn't one of those reasons.  He doesn't believe that killing non-Christians will bring him to a whorehouse in heaven.  While it is true that the fundamental Christian believers make up a large portion of his support base..the war in Iraq isn't a religiously driven war.

Perhaps you see things differently.  Elaborate.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 05:49:08 PM »
Since there are no Christian nations left to speak of ...

Technically, i think the Vatican is actually a nation.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 05:50:54 PM »
I agree, except about the war being BS, such absolutes about complicated issues are a bit immature.  That is unless you mean BS to be inteligence that was gathered by an abency that was gutted in the years following the cold war by policy makers who beleived that the last threat had been extinguished.  Then I might be behind you some more.

Since there are no Christian nations left to speak of ...

Technically, i think the Vatican is actually a nation.

I should have specified what I meant by "to speak of."  I was referring to Christian nations with strong militaries.  Sorry for the confusion.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 05:53:04 PM »
Let's not talk about the war....that's a whole other topic. 

Alamss

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2005, 05:55:32 PM »
well to assume that other wars between Muslim and other people is religiously driven is to a large extent, false.

Israel/Palestine- whether they use Islamic dogma for political support, it is still a political and territorial dispute.

Chechnya-again there might be Islamic dogma as a mode of operation by these people but it is a territorial dispute, other satelite nations of the former USSR have gained their independence whereas Chechnya is still under Russian coercion and occupation.

Kashmir- The Brits did not correctly sanction the territory when they left their colony. With a overwhelming Muslim majority, India and Pakistan are fighting over who is going to have it.

Yes these are Muslims involved but it is beyond reality to suggest 'Islam per se' or because they are Muslim this is happening. It is more complex than that.

Alamss

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2005, 06:07:21 PM »
speaking of Muslim, Jewish and Christian issues, is anyone going to see "Kingdon of Heaven" about the crusades? I think it releases on May 6th.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »
speaking of Muslim, Jewish and Christian issues, is anyone going to see "Kingdon of Heaven" about the crusades? I think it releases on May 6th.

From the trailers, it looked like mindless "Christians good, Muslims bad" cinema. I could get plenty of that on free tv (when i had one) w/o paying good money to see a movie. Is there more to it than that?

Alamss

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2005, 06:29:23 PM »
I have no idea...all I know is that its about the crusades. I just saw a trailer on TV. I am probably just going to rent it out when it comes off the cinemas.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »
well to assume that other wars between Muslim and other people is religiously driven is to a large extent, false.

Israel/Palestine- whether they use Islamic dogma for political support, it is still a political and territorial dispute.

Chechnya-again there might be Islamic dogma as a mode of operation by these people but it is a territorial dispute, other satelite nations of the former USSR have gained their independence whereas Chechnya is still under Russian coercion and occupation.

Kashmir- The Brits did not correctly sanction the territory when they left their colony. With a overwhelming Muslim majority, India and Pakistan are fighting over who is going to have it.

Yes these are Muslims involved but it is beyond reality to suggest 'Islam per se' or because they are Muslim this is happening. It is more complex than that.

More or less, I agree.  What is scary is that while not all Muslims are terrorists, almost all terrorists ARE muslim.  This idea of blowing ones self up for God seems to be a Muslim one...and one group of Muslims picks it up from another.  Other people have had disputes over land, money, power...yet somehow this seems different.