Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: umm...Muslims?  (Read 20105 times)

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: umm...Muslims?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 11:03:21 PM »
If Muslims are URMs, are Evangelicals?

Alamss

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 11:09:26 PM »
I don't think Muslims are URMs. I think we have relative representation compared to our population.

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 12:06:07 AM »
Catholicism beleives that there is but one God with three separate parts; Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost.  Yet each of these parts is God, all in the same, but different.

Confusing? Yes. 

Two thousands years of debate and scholarship still hasn't really cleared this one up.

yes...alot of debate...there are some christians who do not believe that the Trinity is as it has been presented by the catholic church...I forget the name of their "sect"

Xony, yes Muslims too believe that humans are born sin-free, you create sins as you live this very short earthly life...

La-Man...how awesome would that be...are all the profs at the Jewish-Christian universities practicing that faith (forgive my ignorance)

Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 09:14:44 AM »
That is definitely not the case at Catholic.  While on my visit to the school, I met several Jewish professors and a couple Indian professors.  Now at may be presumptuous to assume people with Jewish names are Jewish (Fishman, Goldstein); it is usually a safe bet.  Catholic's law school is considered a semi-secular wing of the University though it does stress social justice/ethics moreso than at other law schools I've seen.  Aka, a first year one hour course on legal ethics and social justice.

Those other "sects" are Protestants, usually the Evangelical sort.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »
Those other "sects" are Protestants, usually the Evangelical sort.

Not all Protestants...

For those who are interested, here is a definition explaining the Trinity from a Christian apologetics website (http://www.carm.org/dictionary/dic_t.htm#_1_190):

Trinity
     The word "trinity" is not found in the Bible. Nevertheless, it is a word used to describe one fact the Bible teaches about God: Our God is a Trinity. This means there are three persons in one God, not three Gods. The persons are known as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and they have all always existed as three separate persons. The person of the Father is not the same person as the Son. The person of the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. The person of the Holy Spirit is not the same person as the Father. If you take away any one, there is no God. God has always been a trinity from all eternity: "From everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God" (Psalm 90:2).
     God is not one person who took three forms, i.e., the Father who became the Son, who then became the Holy Spirit. This belief is known today as the "Jesus Only Movement". It is taught by the United Apostolic and United Pentecostal churches, and is an incorrect teaching.
     Nor is God only one person as the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Way International, and the Christadelphians teach (These groups are classified as non-Christian cults). For proof that there is more than one person in the Godhead, see the Plurality Study.
     The Bible says there is only one God. Yet, it says Jesus is God (John 1:1,14); it says the Father is God (Phil. 1:2); and it says the Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4). Since the Son speaks to the Father, they are separate persons. Since the Holy Spirit speaks also (Acts 13:2), He is a separate person. There is one God who exists in three persons.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 02:34:27 PM »
How is it that God was always 3 of these people when Jesus H. Christ came around not so long ago (relatively speaking)?  Thanks for the explanation below, but it confused me even more :-/

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 04:44:04 PM »
Also a mystery.  I guess that's where faith comes in.....Although the existence of "the son" or "savior" is mentioned at length in the Bible before Jesus' birth.

Columbus School of Law

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 05:00:37 PM »
you're talking about the messiah, who Jews and Muslims believe has not yet come.

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 05:02:15 PM »
Right....That's who Christians beleive Jesus is.  Hence, the third part of the Trinity existing before Jesus.

Columbus School of Law

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 05:12:46 PM »
would you say that Christianity or Islam is closer to Judaism in its religious beliefs?  I would say Islam...without knowing too much about either, just what I gather here and there.