Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cute foreign parents  (Read 11349 times)

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cute foreign parents
« on: May 31, 2004, 01:54:24 PM »
I just got off the phone with my mom, and I just wanted to create a thread for those people who have one or more foreign parents or even for those who have contact with foreign parents. I know that there's gotta be a few of you on here (ruskie et al) who knows what i'm talking about. My mom is just so goddamn cute and romanian. She pronounces certain words in the most bizarre way (my sister and I NEVER let that die) and since she struggles to find the right word she refers to EVERYTHING as "that thing" or "the stuff". We all give her endless *&^% but she's such a good sport about it. And when there was no food in the house, she'd throw some old cooked noodles in milk, with cinnamon and sugar and microwave it and give it to my sister and I claiming it was "an old Romanian dish". 4 differnent times she tried to make pancakes and thought the salt was the sugar. My best friend, Vicky Choi Boy Toy, both of her parents are from Korea and did THE most hilarious *&^%. Her mother ADORED me (which must be due to not understanding anything coming out of my filthy mouth) and always wanted me to sit with her on these electric blankets she had plugged in throughout the house. I just love foreign moms.
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

jgruber

Re: Cute foreign parents
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 01:58:52 PM »
My mother-in-law was from Romania.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
My mother-in-law was from Romania.

Really? Do you know what part? And more importantly can you either confirm or deny the authenticity of the noodles and milk?
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 02:10:25 PM »
She came from the north-east part of the country, Northern Bukovina.

She was ethnic Ukranian, though.  I don't know about the noodles and milk.  Sylvia, mom-in-law, used to bake fancy deserts, but she learned those in Austria.  She and her mother and father had fled Romania when the Russians pushed the Germans out toward the end of WWII and they stayed in Austria for a couple of years.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 02:25:09 PM »
She came from the north-east part of the country, Northern Bukovina.

She was ethnic Ukranian, though.  I don't know about the noodles and milk.  Sylvia, mom-in-law, used to bake fancy deserts, but she learned those in Austria.  She and her mother and father had fled Romania when the Russians pushed the Germans out toward the end of WWII and they stayed in Austria for a couple of years.

Wow, my mother was from the same area! She, her parents and sister all fled at Romania at the same time, ended up in France for a year, before coming here. My mom makes "Romanina deserts too". I wonder about the authenticity of those as well; she'll take toaster waffles, toast them, then put strawberries and blueberries on them with whipped cream or ice cream. I have a sneaking suspicion it's not quite a real Romanian dish, but I don't have any solid proof yet.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 02:30:32 PM »
You never know.  A lot of 'old' recipes have come from ladies' magazines.
Sylvia used to make me crepe suzettes.  The other cooking she did was Ukranian.  Stuffed peppers and stuff like that.  We used to live in NJ and there was a Ukranian church in Roebling that held a festival once a year.  You could get homemade kielbasa there.  I worked with the guy who made it.  He called it kolbas and it was great.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 02:32:45 PM »
My parents are Korean. and they can be dicks.  Well mostly my dad. 

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 02:54:43 PM »

Holy *&^%. Either you are really tall, or she is really short. She's REALLY cute though. Cuter than all you LSD crushes. I approve! (cuz looks mean everything)

thechoson

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 02:55:45 PM »

Holy *&^%. Either you are really tall, or she is really short. She's REALLY cute though. Cuter than all you LSD crushes. I approve! (cuz looks mean everything)

Thank you Jew-Lo.  Michelle Branch is going back up

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 02:59:26 PM »
my parents both live in korea.  dad is a baptist pastor with a congregation of over 15000.  my mom pulls power trips because she is married to my dad.  supposedly theyre well respected over ther...all i know is that i cant stand them. 

both are abominable.

both can go to hell.

i havent talked to them since i got married, and i dont plan on talking to them until i die.

so, hows everyone doing?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'