Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cute foreign parents  (Read 11751 times)

jgruber

Re: Cute foreign parents
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »
Your children will most likely treat you the way you treat your parents.  We learn by example.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2004, 04:09:23 PM »
Your children will most likely treat you the way you treat your parents.  We learn by example.

i agree.  we learn by example.  and i will never treat my parents the way they treated me. 

[EDIT] and i will never treat my children the way my parents treated me. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

thechoson

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2004, 04:12:56 PM »
Let me make a correction.  I love my mom. It's my dad that's an ass.

You try busting your ass for four years in high school, doing everything you can.  Then you don't get into Princeton, Harvard or Yale.  But you did get into UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, and UCSD ( which aren't exactly shabby).  And for that, your dad calls you a loser.  A failure in life.  And that he has to hang his head at work cause his son is not going to Ivy league. What did I do to deserve this *&^%?  @#!* him.

And then, after college, what does he do?  He tells me he'd disown me if I don't go to USD.  Why?  Cause he wants me to be "close to family".  Oh, thanks, you are really making me want to be close to family.  When I tell him i have other options, he tells me to shut the @#!* up and go to USD. So I told him to @#!* off.  Ironic, considering I chose to go to USD, so if he had just shut his trap he would have gotten what he wanted anyways, instead of giving me *&^%.

Sure, some dads beat their kids or leave them or whatever. So I am lucky.  But that doesn't mean my dad's not an ass.  He's an ass to me and to my mom. 

And I sure as hell ain't gonna tell my kids they are losers if they don't get into IVY .

browneyes4u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 04:14:46 PM »

i agree.  we learn by example.  and i will never treat my parents the way they treated me. 
show me one example of a pair of immigrant parents who are not strict with their parents and ill eat my words.. almost every immigrant parents want a better life for their kids and if it means being strict and hitting them- thats wht they do- im not condoning hitting.- an di dont know ur situation- but to say that u hate your parents- u must have a lot of anger built up inside you- and i think its best u had professional help- IMHO

thechoson

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 04:17:56 PM »
I think you need professional help.  For being a mental retard

thechoson

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2004, 04:19:57 PM »
Anyways, you know, let me reiterate, it's my dad that i dislike. See, but the thing is, I don't give a *&^% anymore.  I used to get hurt or angry over some of his *&^%. But now, I genuinely am totally apathetic.  I think this is truly sad, and maybe I do need some help for this.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2004, 04:21:15 PM »

show me one example of a pair of immigrant parents who are not strict with their parents and ill eat my words.. almost every immigrant parents want a better life for their kids and if it means being strict and hitting them- thats wht they do- im not condoning hitting.- an di dont know ur situation- but to say that u hate your parents- u must have a lot of anger built up inside you- and i think its best u had professional help- IMHO

you have no idea what youre opening up.  dont talk about a situation you have no clue about.  i was not generalizing about all parents out there...or all immigrant parents for that matter.  you are.  i am talking about MY parents.  yes, i have a lot of anger, which if you undestood my situation you may or may not agree with.  but why are you passing judgement on me for hating my parents so much?  children arent allowed to hate parents?  is that a cardinal rule?  sorry...im not religious so i dont abide by the ten commandments. 

seriously...i dont tell you that youre wonderful for loving your parents.  and i didnt ever say that my situation applied to all families...or any other family but mine. 

i think youre confusing being strict with being assholes.  my parents are assholes.  but dont tell me i need professional help without knowing any of my situation.  youve got a lot of nerve...

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

PleaseGod =)

• UGPA: 3.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2004, 04:22:17 PM »

I have Korean parents, they weren't strict at all.  So browneyes can go ahead and eat his/her words.  However, I have MANY Korean friends whose parents exhibit the same behaviors as described by chosen and dsong. 
So unless you can directly relate browneyes, don't tell others to 'get professional help.'  Such comments are debasing and idiotic
Reading the gospel according to Powerscore...Oct. LSAT

thechoson

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 04:25:12 PM »
browneyez, I don't think you really understand.  Just sit back and think about this for a sec.

Your dad calls your ENTIRE LIFE A FAILURE for not being able to get into HYP.  Just think about that for a while.  MY  entire 18 years was a TOTAL failure, according to him. 

You want a dad like that, go right ahead

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2004, 04:25:56 PM »
Let me make a correction.  I love my mom. It's my dad that's an ass.

You try busting your ass for four years in high school, doing everything you can.  Then you don't get into Princeton, Harvard or Yale.  But you did get into UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, and UCSD ( which aren't exactly shabby).  And for that, your dad calls you a loser.  A failure in life.  And that he has to hang his head at work cause his son is not going to Ivy league. What did I do to deserve this *&^%?  @#!* him.

And then, after college, what does he do?  He tells me he'd disown me if I don't go to USD.  Why?  Cause he wants me to be "close to family".  Oh, thanks, you are really making me want to be close to family.  When I tell him i have other options, he tells me to shut the @#!* up and go to USD. So I told him to @#!* off.  Ironic, considering I chose to go to USD, so if he had just shut his trap he would have gotten what he wanted anyways, instead of giving me *&^%.

Sure, some dads beat their kids or leave them or whatever. So I am lucky.  But that doesn't mean my dad's not an ass.  He's an ass to me and to my mom. 

And I sure as hell ain't gonna tell my kids they are losers if they don't get into IVY .

I can understand what you went through, not because it happened to me but it happened to my dad's side cousins... I swear I was lucky. Both my korean parents are very liberal, my dad is not a pastor but a nuclear engineer and my mom was a lab tech (well now she's a wedding florist). Funny part is that my mom HATED living around koreans because of the way they gossiped and tried to make themselves look good through their children. When they moved to Philadelphia and lived in a perdominantly white neighborhood she was the happiest. They have always been supportive of my lifestyle (although with their share of concerns, they wouldn't be parents if they didn't have them).

However, my dad's side is very manipulative and are all about emphasizing their money and their children's "skills". My guy cousin was supposed to be a doctor... he's a year older than I am and he STILL hasn't graduated from UG... he got kicked out, went into the army and is now back at a small school trying to finish. Even when this was going on my aunt would be bragging to my mom about how he's going to be a doctor when I knew that my cousin didn't know what he wanted and definitely didn't want to go into medicine...

Out of all my korean friends... I know i'm the lucky one... i love my parents so much... they even like my persian bf... they invite him over for dinner and ask him to spend the night (if he drives me home). He's always invited to family dinners during the holidays (well only my mom's side, my dad's side are soooo horrible)

and browneyes4u, you have NO CLUE...
"i hope some day your kids treat you the same way you treat your parents.."
you know some parents don't deserve kids like dsong and thechoson. ALL parents are not GOOD parents. And how are they treating their parents? Just because dsong stated something HE believed? Or that thechoson worked his ass off for NO appreciation and acceptance from the people he would want it the most?? Well i'm sure they treat their parents respectively... and the parents are not doing the same.