Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's Officially Over  (Read 7000 times)

TBoneUCLA

Re: It's Officially Over
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2005, 03:24:57 PM »
i guess those planning on living like a poor student for several years after graduating should consider law school a 7 year project, like med school   =)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2005, 03:42:32 PM »
I still laugh at all the posts in the 'acceptances'category that are threads that have nothing to do with acceptances.  Just despaerate people scrambling for anything to hold on to that keeps them from realizing that they will only get into TTTs, and will go on to mediocre carreers in law. 

There are people out there who consider anything outside the T14 a third tier toilet.  They think anyone attending less than a T14 will (how did you put it?) go on to mediocre careers in law.  So what makes you think that YOU are better than someone who is going to a t3 or t4?  Just because your manager did nothing with his JD does not mean that all people who get their JDs from t3 or t4 schools are not driven enough to do something fantastic with their degrees.  A lot of people have suggested to you to retake your LSAT, I agree.  There is something terribly flawed with the logic that because *John Doe* went to *School X* and did not go on to a great legal career, ALL people who go to *School X* will not go on to great legal careers.

Yeah I mean I find it beyond ridiculous how some people act like if you're not going to a T14 and hey maybe even a T10 the rest of your life is pretty much ruined.  I mean I'm going to American and I've already heard lots of slack because its the 3rd (or some say 4th) ranked school in DC.  But it's also a Tier 1 with a number of top ranked specialties.  I mean I know people who went to law schools that didn't even make Tier 4 and now have very successfully and lucrative carears.  If your entire goal in life is to make it into one of these huge nationally known law firms then yeah a T3 or T4 is going to make that pretty difficult, but that is literally a sliver of the legal market out there.  I have to say I was an art history major in college, which is basically considered to be one of the most useless degrees around.  When I went into the job market I was terrified that I was virtually unemployable, but it wasn't true at all.  I got good jobs in law firms and am currently working on an FDA clinical study and I think having a slightly different degree helped me get into law school.  People need to calm down and realize there isn't this cookie cutter path to getting a good job or being successful. Work hard, make connections and do what you love, because that's probably what your best at anyway.  Everyone needs to calm down.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

Ver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »
Good post Allison.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »
"Wow, is this the best you could do?"

So reactionary!
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2005, 07:24:57 PM »

So reactionary!

"oh ho ho how naive we be"

So anal and condescending!

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2005, 12:55:29 AM »

So reactionary!

"oh ho ho how naive we be"

So anal and condescending!

lemme guess: you don't lika anal?

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2005, 02:14:34 PM »

So reactionary!

Um...don't you mean reactive ????
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2005, 10:57:03 PM »

So reactionary!

re·ac·tion·ar·y    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (r-ksh-nr)
adj.
Characterized by reaction, especially opposition to progress
The Bad:

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2005, 12:32:45 AM »
most certainly - as long as you uphold its proud tradition :)
The Bad:

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 11:18:16 AM »

So reactionary!

re·ac·tion·ar·y    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (r-ksh-nr)
adj.
Characterized by reaction, especially opposition to progress

Yea, I know what the word means but it sounds awkward in this context. It's almost always used to refer to a political orientation (hence "especially opposition to progress"). Reactive is more in line with what you meant:

Main Entry: re·ac·tive
Pronunciation: rE-'ak-tiv
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or marked by reaction or reactance
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher