Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's Officially Over  (Read 7458 times)

inthesun

Re: It's Officially Over
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 11:59:55 AM »
I still laugh at all the posts in the 'acceptances'category that are threads that have nothing to do with acceptances.  Just despaerate people scrambling for anything to hold on to that keeps them from realizing that they will only get into TTTs, and will go on to mediocre carreers in law. 

There are people out there who consider anything outside the T14 a TTT.  They think anyone attending less than a T14 will (how did you put it?) go on to mediocre careers in law.  So what makes you think that YOU are better than someone who is going to a t3 or t4?  Just because your manager did nothing with his JD does not mean that all people who get their JDs from t3 or t4 schools are not driven enough to do something fantastic with their degrees.  A lot of people have suggested to you to retake your LSAT, I agree.  There is something terribly flawed with the logic that because *John Doe* went to *School X* and did not go on to a great legal career, ALL people who go to *School X* will not go on to great legal careers.

ccmckay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2005, 01:44:08 PM »
I still laugh at all the posts in the 'acceptances'category that are threads that have nothing to do with acceptances.  Just despaerate people scrambling for anything to hold on to that keeps them from realizing that they will only get into TTTs, and will go on to mediocre carreers in law. 

There are people out there who consider anything outside the T14 a third tier toilet.  They think anyone attending less than a T14 will (how did you put it?) go on to mediocre careers in law.  So what makes you think that YOU are better than someone who is going to a t3 or t4?  Just because your manager did nothing with his JD does not mean that all people who get their JDs from t3 or t4 schools are not driven enough to do something fantastic with their degrees.  A lot of people have suggested to you to retake your LSAT, I agree.  There is something terribly flawed with the logic that because *John Doe* went to *School X* and did not go on to a great legal career, ALL people who go to *School X* will not go on to great legal careers.

Wait until you get in to those law firm interviews.  A quote from a friend at Smith Ried: 

"For example, in one of my interviews with a San Francisco firm that shall go unnamed, a partner asked me point blank, "Why didn't you go to a better school, like Harvard?"

Coming from BU, which is a tier 1 school, I would say that nearly half of the people I knew were not able to find jobs working for big firms.  That said, not everyone wants to end up at a big firm, and many people who start with big firms eventually leave for a smaller firm and a more relaxed lifestyle. The type of firm you want to work for may be the deciding factor as to whether you should go with the best school you can now, or whether you should retake the LSAT.  Of course, there are plenty of other options, but the two options I am most famiar with are (1) the mega-firm and (2) a 20-person firm.  The environments and firm cultures are very different.

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 03:53:37 PM »
Hi Kodiak-

Sorry about the delay, downloaded Skype and caught up with an old friend in Hokkaido.  It's now 4:45 a.m. here in Japan and looking at the screen with only one eye, at the moment...

I'm currently waitlisted and pending at two T3/4 schools.  I probably won't attend, because the Boston RE prices, job market and schools all (excuse me, here) suck!  I have a house, family and good biz- so why leave for something less?

However, I have my sights on one school.  Rejected this year, but hope to get in for 2006.  At 37, I have lots of time (a.k.a. I'm already too late, so a year later won't matter).  My wife is Japanese and our children are both, so our decisions are family oriented.  I'm sure you can guess the school I'm hoping for.  How about you?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2005, 06:58:02 PM »

There are people out there who consider anything outside the T14 a third tier toilet.  They think anyone attending less than a T14 will (how did you put it?) go on to mediocre careers in law.  So what makes you think that YOU are better than someone who is going to a t3 or t4?  Just because your manager did nothing with his JD does not mean that all people who get their JDs from t3 or t4 schools are not driven enough to do something fantastic with their degrees.  A lot of people have suggested to you to retake your LSAT, I agree.  There is something terribly flawed with the logic that because *John Doe* went to *School X* and did not go on to a great legal career, ALL people who go to *School X* will not go on to great legal careers.

i would like to add that the op said something about thier 401 guy going to loyola and that somehow tranferred into talk of t3/t4 schools...

the loyola i am attending, just to clarify is loyola in los angeles. i am not SURE that that is the loyola the op was regarding, but if it is may i just make it known that the school (for its behalf) is not actually a t3/t4 school. it is at the top of the 2nd tier, somewhere around 58 status.

thank you  =)

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2005, 11:30:01 AM »
"America's Next Top Lawyer

PS-And don't worry about my $100,000 debt. Because A $100,000 salary would take care of that in no time."

oh ho ho how naive we be - 100g and the tax man comes for almost fifty percent. 100g and we're driving a flashy silver two door thing with hefty once-a-month payment. 100g and you don't really have all that much money at all - welcome to the upper echelons of financial society where *everyone* will have a hand in your pocket.

six figure debt? we're talking 20+ years to pay it back. trust me.
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2005, 11:54:24 AM »

PS-And don't worry about my $100,000 debt. Because A $100,000 salary would take care of that in no time."

oh ho ho how naive we be - 100g and the tax man comes for almost fifty percent. 100g and we're driving a flashy silver two door thing with hefty once-a-month payment. 100g and you don't really have all that much money at all - welcome to the upper echelons of financial society where *everyone* will have a hand in your pocket.

50% is a little excessive.  You're probably walking away with between $60-70K.  And I disagree about "everyone having a hand in your pocket."  If that's the case, you need to learn to say no to people, or surround yourself with people who aren't golddigging moochers.

That said, there is a point.  $100K salaries don't make debt disapper.  And you don't even get 20 years to pay it back (I don't think).  You still have to pay back about $10,000 every year.  The standard story I've heard about BigLaw associates with lots of debt is that it takes 5-10 years to get out from under the debt to enjoy the lifestyle they thought being a lawyer would get them immediately.

Wait until you get in to those law firm interviews.  A quote from a friend at Smith Ried: 

"For example, in one of my interviews with a San Francisco firm that shall go unnamed, a partner asked me point blank, "Why didn't you go to a better school, like Harvard?"
I would hope I would be in a position where I could say, "I don't know, why didn't you work at a better firm like X?"  And then (if this was on-campus) head over to career services to ask why they let firms on campus that take potshots at the school.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2005, 02:28:33 PM »

Wow, is this the best you could do? This was just one insignificant line in my post. It had  nothing to do with the main idea of my post. I am aware that I wouldn't be able to pay back my debt in 2 years. But I never said I would be able to pay it off in a heartbeat. I was just making the point that a 100,000 dollar salary would allow me to pay off my debt in a quicker than average pace.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2005, 09:14:58 AM »

Wow, is this the best you could do? This was just one insignificant line in my post. It had  nothing to do with the main idea of my post. I am aware that I wouldn't be able to pay back my debt in 2 years. But I never said I would be able to pay it off in a heartbeat. I was just making the point that a 100,000 dollar salary would allow me to pay off my debt in a quicker than average pace.

It took my friend, Michelle, over 10 years to pay off her Catholic Law loans (about $100,000) with her big law salary (she makes about $150,000).  You get caught up with home, car, kids, etc. and suddenly you're making the minimum payment.  That's why she was the first one to applaud my decision to take Widener's scholarship offer over little or no money at Temple and Villanova.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

kristay

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »

It took my friend, Michelle, over 10 years to pay off her Catholic Law loans (about $100,000) with her big law salary (she makes about $150,000).  You get caught up with home, car, kids, etc. and suddenly you're making the minimum payment.  That's why she was the first one to applaud my decision to take Widener's scholarship offer over little or no money at Temple and Villanova.

Yes, but I've had friends who paid off their 100K+ loans in about 5-6 years.  Granted, they had an apartment for the first few years and no children...my point is that if you can live like a student for another couple of years, you can pay off your loans a lot quicker.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »
Exactly. My standard of living will not change until the debt is gone. Even after that, I'm not going berserk with toys. I still have undergrad/grad debt, so all of it has to go away before anything fun begins.