Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's Officially Over  (Read 7373 times)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: It's Officially Over
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 10:51:47 PM »
I did apply to a lot of schools because: 1. I was paranoid about getting rejected from safeties.  I did get waitlisted at a few safeties, and it's possible they might turn into rejections.  That is how the law school process works!  2. I was hoping to pull a super reach out of my ass.  That might still happen -- fingers crossed.

I did get into a couple good schools -- Toledo and IU-Indy.  I am still pending at a couple I'd love to get into, but I'm not counting on.  SMU and FSU.

Truthfully, I think your LSAT is good enough to get you into a decent law school.  I think you need to run through your whole app, PS, every thing.  Make sure you didn't screw up anything.  Have someone else go through it all just to be sure.  I DID NOT DO this, and I had to remail a corrected resume and PS after I discovered a few mistakes.  I don't know if that knocked me out of a couple of my reaches, but it very well might have.

ccorsi

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 10:56:54 PM »
To each his own.  I think if you only applied to schools you would realistically go to  that should be commended.  You didn't waste your time or the school's time.

I used a similar approach.

Some people apply to 40+ schools (no names mentioned) and figure their carpet bombing approach will turn up a few hits.  It will.

It is a different approach certainly, but does in my opinion slow down the whole apps process for everyone.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

C2

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 11:00:39 PM »
To each his own.  I think if you only applied to schools you would realistically go to  that should be commended.  You didn't waste your time or the school's time.

Some people apply to 40+ schools (no names mentioned) and figure their carpet bombing approach will turn up a few hits.  It will.

It is a different approach certainly, but does in my opinion slow down the whole apps process for everyone.

C2

It was me.  I admit it.  It was me!!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=PaperbackWriter

z

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »
ouch

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 11:40:23 PM »
well, even though paperback applied to WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many schools his acceptance to rejection ration is pretty good (better than mine)

and at least he will be taking torts SOMEWHERE this fall ::)

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 11:48:22 PM »
Yo -

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and words.  I am still always surprised by the extreme insecurity of pending 1Ls like 'America's Next Top Lawyer,' and 'TBoneUCLA.' A condesending attitude will not make you a good lawyer, just a jerk with no friends and 100k in law school debt. Emotional maturity goes a long way in the real world. There are people that get rejected by every school they apply to, and I wanted to be honest about that.  I thougt lsd could benefit from some honesty.  I still laugh at all the posts in the 'acceptances'category that are threads that have nothing to do with acceptances.  Just desparate people scrambling for anything to hold on to that keeps them from realizing that they will only get into TTTs, and will go on to mediocre carreers in law. 

Though I will not be attending law school in 2005, I have learned a ton about the application process, and will be supremely prepared for a second round, should I choose to try again.  Thankfully, I have a solid carreer and a lot of options besides the law.  I didn't apply to enough or any 'safties' because I really didn't apply to any schools I wouldn't consider attending.  I knew I was unlikely to be accepted at most of these schools, but I didn't compromise what I wanted to get out of law school just to get in NOW.

Good luck to everyone who decides to matriculate.  I don't hold anything against you.

Best regards,

CM

Excuse me? You say I was being condescending? Hey look, you will not use me as a punching bag to take out your self animosity. I was actually trying to help your ass out. Just because I told you the truth, I am condescending and insecure? You have it all wrong. I am very secure. Secure enough to get into 15 schools. Hey if you want to go to war,  I will take you to war.

In addition, you are calling me condescending. First of all, you are the person making fun of people who attend third tier schools. There are many good third tier schools. Many successful lawyers started at third tier schools. You say third tier students will have mediocre careers as lawyers? And you have the nerve to call them desperate. This is coming from a person who didn't get in anywhere? You hypocrite! You need to take your attitude to St. Elsewhere.

best wishes,

America's Next Top Lawyer

PS-And don't worry about my $100,000 debt. Because A $100,000 salary would take care of that in no time.

ccorsi

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 11:54:57 PM »
It appears as if she is going to the mattresses :)

C2

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 12:43:09 AM »
Oh yeah, I'm a HUGE fan of Paperback- yer my LSN hero, bud!  Fuel the B-52s 'cos I'll be 'carpet bombing' with applications this September!

I think Top Lawyer was only trying to give it to you straight, ccmckay.  As my top choices began to reject, those safety schools started to smell nice...

As I mentioned, I was really cocky when I started this whole process- now I'm down to size and ready to do it right next time.

Anyhow- work more, save money and do it again this fall (you'll be better for it),

Geez

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 03:39:26 AM »
buddy, those schools are way out of your league. so there is no feeling sorry for anybody from this side of the screen. everybody gets rejected from somewhere, but i wouldnt apply to yale with a 160... to quote a great individual: "a man's got to know his limitations"

the weak will fall the strong remain; no pain no gain

get up, try again

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 09:01:01 AM »

C2

By the way, I've always been VERY good about withdrawing from schools I know I will not attend so that I free up those spots for other worthy applicants.  The only three schools where I am active, and have laid down seat deposits, are Capital, IU-Indy, and Toledo.  Other waitlisted schools and pending schools are still very much in the running.  If I got accepted to, say, Dayton, I'd very much consider it because Dayton is my hometown and I really like UD's 24 calendar month program.

I have always encouraged, and encourage still, for everyone to follow my example and withdraw from schools to which they have been waitlisted or accepted and will never attend.  Believe me, this process has been more pain than reward for me (blown LSAT, blown resume, blown PS), and I very much want to ease the suffering of my fellow applicants by reducing their time on a waitlist.