Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston Roll Call  (Read 14150 times)

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »
Wow! I just completed my order for the Dell laptop.  Man-oh-man my total was $2027.71.  Goodness gracious, that's a lot of money!  So...I did it.  It had to be done, and I did it. I just wish it would've been free :)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2005, 10:47:25 PM »
Wow! I just completed my order for the Dell laptop.  Man-oh-man my total was $2027.71.  Goodness gracious, that's a lot of money!  So...I did it.  It had to be done, and I did it. I just wish it would've been free :)

So what'd you buy?!?! Give me specs. I feel left out. I thought we were going to order together! ;) I'll be ordering next week so it doesn't sit and accrue intrest on my credit card. . .

BTW How's it going with your stack of books?

where2g0

« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2005, 11:48:27 PM »

Traci
you must have upgraded from the UHLC base model.  I stuck with the base model.  I hope it gets me through...

CajunDynamo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2005, 08:19:42 AM »

Traci
you must have upgraded from the UHLC base model.  I stuck with the base model.  I hope it gets me through...

Hola all,

I got my Dell in last Friday evening.  I had ordered it the previous Sunday night, so I got it in less than a week.

Hitting $2,000 wasn't too difficult.  Upgrading to the 80GB harddrive and the 1DIMMS in order to add the additional memory without having to buy replacement memory brings you to about $1,800.  Tax and shipping are about $200.  The only other extra I splurged on was the 90W adapter.  It'll help recharge your laptop batter a little faster when you plug it in.

One note:  During the initial Windows XP setup (only thing I had done was taken the computer out of the box and turned it on), I received an error message about one of the drivers installed on my machine relating to something called the "Determinitic Model Miniport".  The warning message stated that this program wasn't Windows Logo verfied, so it might cause conflict w/ my operating system. 

It ultimately turned out that that particular issue relates to modem operations (which is no big deal unless you use dial up, which I haven't used in about 5 years).  Technical support was able to help me out, but good God Almightly, it took hours (at least 3) before I was finally connected to the right department to help me out.  They had trouble locating my 3 year warranty that I purchased thru UH's Dell link, so initially they wouldn't help me at all.  I had to raise a bit of hell before I they were able to locate it.  Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Still, $2,000 seems a bit steep for this machine.  It is real nice however.  I've been modifying all weekend.  So far so good.

CD

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »

Traci

Hola all,

I got my Dell in last Friday evening.  I had ordered it the previous Sunday night, so I got it in less than a week.

Hitting $2,000 wasn't too difficult.  Upgrading to the 80GB harddrive and the 1DIMMS in order to add the additional memory without having to buy replacement memory brings you to about $1,800.  Tax and shipping are about $200.  The only other extra I splurged on was the 90W adapter.  It'll help recharge your laptop batter a little faster when you plug it in.

One note:  During the initial Windows XP setup (only thing I had done was taken the computer out of the box and turned it on), I received an error message about one of the drivers installed on my machine relating to something called the "Determinitic Model Miniport".  The warning message stated that this program wasn't Windows Logo verfied, so it might cause conflict w/ my operating system. 

It ultimately turned out that that particular issue relates to modem operations (which is no big deal unless you use dial up, which I haven't used in about 5 years).  Technical support was able to help me out, but good God Almightly, it took hours (at least 3) before I was finally connected to the right department to help me out.  They had trouble locating my 3 year warranty that I purchased thru UH's Dell link, so initially they wouldn't help me at all.  I had to raise a bit of hell before I they were able to locate it.  Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Still, $2,000 seems a bit steep for this machine.  It is real nice however.  I've been modifying all weekend.  So far so good.

CD

Problems already? Maybe I should order sooner rather than later so I can work out bugs while I still have time. . . :(

EDIT: I just ordered. My total was $2006 with tax and shipping. I did the same upgrade package as CD. I'll be buying my mini wireless mouse separately.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2005, 01:21:57 PM »
Just spoke to a UH Alumnus practicing in CA. And wouldn't you know it? He is actually positive about the profession and experience! He recommends taking 1 day off each week to completely forget about law school and rejuvinate your body and mind. (He still follows this advice to this day.) He also recommends supplementing with commercial outlines once you've learned how to study on your own. Finally, UH still uses the IRAC method, so we should learn it. It was great talking to someone who is having such a positive, successful and balanced legal experience and I just thought I'd share with you.

CajunDynamo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2005, 02:12:43 PM »

Traci

Hola all,

CD

Problems already? Maybe I should order sooner rather than later so I can work out bugs while I still have time. . . :(

EDIT: I just ordered. My total was $2006 with tax and shipping. I did the same upgrade package as CD. I'll be buying my mini wireless mouse separately.

Sounds like you and I got about the same setup.

Eh, the problem was easily resolved once they were FINALLY able to tell me what that program was for.  I pulled the updated driver off the internet right away.

What wireless provider are you going with?  Are you going to use free software off the net for stuff like spyware & firewall or are ya gonna buy from the bookstore at (hopefully) nicely discounted prices?

It comes w/ McAfee viruscan, but no fireware or spyware blockers, at least as far as I can tell.  I'm going w/ Zonealarm, and Adware/Spybot, and Spyware Blaster until I can check w/ the bookstore at UH to see what they're offering.

CD

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2005, 02:18:24 PM »
I have purchased my computer and am using ZoneAlarm for Firewall, and SBCYahoo (I use SBC DSL)offered software for spyware and anti-virus. It seems to have worked well so far.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=htrus

Attending: Houston
In: St. Mary's (w$$), South Texas, Texas Tech, Houston
Out: Texas, GMU, Boalt Hall, Oklahoma, Baylor
Waitlist: SMU

CajunDynamo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2005, 03:53:41 PM »
I have purchased my computer and am using ZoneAlarm for Firewall, and SBCYahoo (I use SBC DSL)offered software for spyware and anti-virus. It seems to have worked well so far.

So you're using two anti-virus programs:  the McAfee (which came w/ the Dell) and the SBC one?

htrus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2005, 04:49:51 PM »
I got rid of the McAfee program. I am using the SBC one which is actually by Computer Associates.
LSAT 161/GPA 3.05

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=htrus

Attending: Houston
In: St. Mary's (w$$), South Texas, Texas Tech, Houston
Out: Texas, GMU, Boalt Hall, Oklahoma, Baylor
Waitlist: SMU